Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Question for So Miss fans reading this forum -

Who is your football "rival"? _
    They would probably say the SEC!!

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You have a new coach with NO head coaching experience. An inexperienced D line. A secondary that you ASSume will be pretty good, but had some big mistakes last year. An untested freshman quarterback. This game will be close. You arent BCS. You are CUSA, who by the way has a very marginal record against the Sunbelt the last few years.

Go tell yourself how great you are on your board.

Z
    USM isn't BCS, but we do have 14 straight winning seasons and 10 bowl games in the last 11 years. The scores in the last five games against UL

USM 48 ULL 3
    USM 35 ULL 10
    USM 48 ULL 0
    USM 55 ULL 0
    USM 52 ULL 27

As for USM vs. the Sun Belt, USM is 10-0 in the last ten games played against Sun Belt teams.

Don't think that Fedora inherited no talent. This USM team is lacking depth, not talent at starting positions.

So no, we aren't BCS and we do have a new head coach, but your team got whipped by McNeese State last year. I think this will be a close game and I will be happy with a one point win, but history does say that UL is in for a tough night this coming Saturday. Of course history is yesterday's news. We shall soon see how this year's game turns out and if history repeats itself or not.

The sad part is that the USM fans are making me more confident. The game will come down to the turnovers and on one side you have a senior QB who threw only 10 picks all last year, and on the other side you have an untested freshman.you tell me who you think is gonna win that turnover battle. I think the cajuns win 28-24.

Tuffguy

4. UL Football Q&A with UL coach Rickey Bustle

As Rickey Bustle enters his seventh season as UL's head football coach, he knows the importance of improving on last season's 3-9 record.

He made a few coaching changes in the offseason to help make those improvements.

Bustle, 26-44 with the Cajuns, promoted Ron Hudson to offensive coordinator. He hired Jorge Munoz as quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator and former Ragin' Cajun player and coach Gerald Broussard to lead the defensive line. He also shifted coaching responsibilities on the defensive side of the ball, putting former safeties coach Tim Rebowe with the linebackers and ex-cornerbacks coach Hurlie Brown with the secondary.

With the Aug. 30 opener at Southern Miss less than a week away, Bustle recently spoke with The Daily Advertiser about the upcoming season.

Question: Since winning a share of the Sun Belt Conference title in 2005, the Cajuns went 6-6 in '06 and 3-9 last season. Last December you received a contract extension that runs until Jan. 31, 2011. With all that said, how are you approaching this season?

Answer: I'm going to approach it like any other season. You don't approach the season any differently. It's good to see a lot of guys who did play last year, the 30 or 31 freshmen and sophomores that have some experience. We just need to stay focused on what we need to do.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • August 24, 2008

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ USM isn't BCS, but we do have 14 straight winning seasons and 10 bowl games in the last 11 years. The scores in the last five games against UL

USM 48 ULL 3
    USM 35 ULL 10
    USM 48 ULL 0
    USM 55 ULL 0
    USM 52 ULL 27

As for USM vs. the Sun Belt, USM is 10-0 in the last ten games played against Sun Belt teams.

Don't think that Fedora inherited no talent. This USM team is lacking depth, not talent at starting positions.

So no, we aren't BCS and we do have a new head coach, but your team got whipped by McNeese State last year. I think this will be a close game and I will be happy with a one point win, but history does say that UL is in for a tough night this coming Saturday. Of course history is yesterday's news. We shall soon see how this year's game turns out and if history repeats itself or not. _

You could have saved yourself alot of typing.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You could have saved yourself alot of typing.

Z
    It figured if they hung here around long enough, the buttshining would start. US@Hattiesburg: The Creator's gift to college football.

7. UL Football Ragin' Cajuns gearing up for road

UL — Want to know how well the University of Louisiana football team does this season?

Check back with head coach Rickey Bustle after the first six games.

UL opens Saturday at Southern Mississippi and then plays four of its next five contests on the road.

Included in those are games at Illinois, Kansas State and two against Sun Belt Conference opponents Louisiana-Monroe and North Texas.

“That’s going to be the biggest difference right there. In addition to the caliber of teams we play, five of the first six on the road is tough for anybody,” Bustle said.

“We’re going to be some kind of road warriors by the time we finish with all of that.”

The rest of the story

By BOB ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    They would probably say the SEC!!
    I am curious because of the discussion in another thread about "rivalries" and what defines them and so on. It seems based on what really defines rivalries that So.Ms. is in a difficult spot from a geographical standpoint. So, who by the typical standards, is their "rival"? If they want to claim Ole Miss and Miss St. then so be it but I doubt that is the view as well of the fans of those programs.

Default Re: Q & A with UL coach Rickey Bustle

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _

Good interview. However, he just seems to always hope for the best and we'll see what happens. He apparently got an extension to 2011 (I'm not sure why), so we are not likely to buy him out with 3 years to go on his contract. He is already talking about how young we are again this year. I wish Bustle was a little more positive and inspiring. We as fans need to hear that. I want to see this team come out with an attitude like they did vs. UH a couple of years ago. For some reason, we lost our swagger after that game when we lost HC to MTSU. We need to regain it vs. USM. It seems to me that the attitude of the coach(s) will help dictate that.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I am curious because of the discussion in another thread about "rivalries" and what defines them and so on. It seems based on what really defines rivalries that So.Ms. is in a difficult spot from a geographical standpoint. So, who by the typical standards, is their "rival"? If they want to claim Ole Miss and Miss St. then so be it but I doubt that is the view as well of the fans of those programs. _
    First of all, its hard to have a rivalry with teams you don't play. Ole Myth and MisStake stomped us for years, but when we started beating them more often than not (we own the series against State and took 5 of the last 7 against Ole Miss), they took their ball and went home.

While we lack a "heated" rival like Louisville (last baseball game here with UofL ended in a brawl after we came back to win in the ninth) or TCU of the past, I would say Memphis. Its known as the Black and Blue game. While we own the series by a large margin, Memphis has picked up the wins lately, beating us twice at home. After one of those wins we found our bronze Eagle at the Rock painted Tiger Blue Sunday morning. They beat us last year at the Rock with a QB from Hattiesburg High, so the heat is picking up.

Some will say East Carolina, but IMO too much respect among the programs for it to become heated. But with ECU taking it to the next level as far as budget, fan support and fund raising, that may change. Others will say its the Battle for the Bell with Tulane, but for me, the series is too one sided and with them now being in the West, playing them only 2 of 4 years, the game has lost some luster. I'll throw in Houston too. Again while the series is lopsided in our favor, with a Championship on the line, the Coogs always get the best of us.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGold View Post
    First of all, its hard to have a rivalry with teams you don't play. Ole Myth and MisStake stomped us for years, but when we started beating them more often than not (we own the series against State and took 5 of the last 7 against Ole Miss), they took their ball and went home.

While we lack a "heated" rival like Louisville (last baseball game here with UofL ended in a brawl after we came back to win in the ninth) or TCU of the past, I would say Memphis. Its known as the Black and Blue game. While we own the series by a large margin, Memphis has picked up the wins lately, beating us twice at home. After one of those wins we found our bronze Eagle at the Rock painted Tiger Blue Sunday morning. They beat us last year at the Rock with a QB from Hattiesburg High, so the heat is picking up.

Some will say East Carolina, but IMO too much respect among the programs for it to become heated. But with ECU taking it to the next level as far as budget, fan support and fund raising, that may change. Others will say its the Battle for the Bell with Tulane, but for me, the series is too one sided and with them now being in the West, playing them only 2 of 4 years, the game has lost some luster. I'll throw in Houston too. Again while the series is lopsided in our favor, with a Championship on the line, the Coogs always get the best of us.
    Off the subject but it'll be interesting to see what the So. Alabama football program does to So Miss@Hattiesburg in terms of recruiting in the future. You've done quite well recruiting in the space between Mobile and the New Orleans/Florida Parishes area. Maybe between a more successful UL program and a USA program we can pinch you a bit at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Good interview. However, he just seems to always hope for the best and we'll see what happens. He apparently got an extension to 2011 (I'm not sure why), so we are not likely to buy him out with 3 years to go on his contract. He is already talking about how young we are again this year. I wish Bustle was a little more positive and inspiring. We as fans need to hear that. I want to see this team come out with an attitude like they did vs. UH a couple of years ago. For some reason, we lost our swagger after that game when we lost HC to MTSU. We need to regain it vs. USM. It seems to me that the attitude of the coach(s) will help dictate that.
    Article was incorrect about the timing of the extension. It did not occur last year but earlier. I believe that occurred after the 2005 Sun Belt co title. His original contract called for an extension with a conference championship. There were no qualifiers about co titles in it.

If we don't make a bowl game this year everyone will be calling for bustle to go. If we have to keep him around because of the contract there will be no more fan support. Hopefully we make a bowl and everything will be ok for Bustle and UL Football.

14. Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Don't count on it. We will continue to build on the progress we have already made in recruiting. The talent level at Southern Miss will continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ USM isn't BCS, but we do have 14 straight winning seasons and 10 bowl games in the last 11 years. The scores in the last five games against UL

USM 48 ULL 3
    USM 35 ULL 10
    USM 48 ULL 0
    USM 55 ULL 0
    USM 52 ULL 27

So no, we aren't BCS and we do have a new head coach, but your team got whipped by McNeese State last year. I think this will be a close game and I will be happy with a one point win, but history does say that UL is in for a tough night this coming Saturday. Of course history is yesterday's news. We shall soon see how this year's game turns out and if history repeats itself or not. _

It's exactly that. History. You are also talking about records in the past as well. What's funny is that you brag about these records and bowl wins but you run off the coach that got you there. This is a different year. These are different teams. At first, I was in tune with the spread thinking that it could be a 34-20 type of game in favor of the eagles. However, after watching summer and fall camp and seeing several scrimmages, I'm thinking its going to be closer than that, if not even in favor of the cajuns. As we all know, only time wil tell. It should be fun. But you and the rest of Eagle nation should should know that if you're expecting a blowout, you're crazy.

Page 42 of 222 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 . LastLast

Thread Information