Page 41 of 222 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

1. UL Football Next Opponent: Eagles need returnees, younger guys to mesh

HATTIESBURG — The Southern Miss secondary was very suspect at times last season.

Two starters return from that squad, including cornerback C.J. Bailey, who was often victimized by deep scoring passes. The other returning starter is free safety Eddie Hicks, who had 84 tackles and three interceptions last season.

There is plenty left to prove for the Golden Eagle defensive backs, but first-year coach Larry Fedora isn't down on the group of young players as they prepare for the first game against Louisiana-Lafayette on Aug. 30.

"Both Eddie Hicks and (strong safety) Chico Hunter are doing a great job back there," Fedora said. "They've done everything we've asked of them. They've made plays and I'm very pleased. I feel like those guys could be a strength on our defense."

The rest of the story

Patrick Magee • Hattiesburg American • August 23, 2008

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    _ We will pull another "Houston" on them
    Sounds good, but can we do it without being down 21-0 first?! j/k, anyway it happens is fine with me!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4ever View Post
    UL 34
    USM 31

Field goal on the final drive of the game. .07 seconds left.
    Shades of 1989. Just so it's not the 1990 game result.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Shades of 1989. Just so it's not the 1990 game result. _
    In 1993 USM played the Cajuns with Bower their "brand new coach"
    and they lost.

I remember freshman quarterback Jake Delhomme tackling senior wideout Marcus Carter after the game.

It was a big deal for the Cajun players a big, big deal.

I think the game will be moderately close at first but I do think USM will turn it into a blowout. I say this not to take anything away from the Cajuns, but the fact that unlike our previous coach, this team has been coached not to get complacent after going up by 21 or such. I think after reading about both schools Southern Miss' offensive weapons can tear up the Cajun's holes on defense. Southern Miss' defense practices daily against the Running Back who has gained the most yards in the nation in the past 2 years so i'm not really worried about that account. I'm a Southern Miss fan but even if I wasn't I would be scared of Damion Fletcher. This is a kid that is 600 yards away from 3,000 career yards and has shaved a tenth off his 40 time this season as well as added more muscle while saying he is 'applying himself' more than he did in the past. Based on the past scores I say 14-7 at halftime and 38-10 final Southern Miss over the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by byxeagle View Post
    _ I think the game will be moderately close at first but I do think USM will turn it into a blowout. I say this not to take anything away from the Cajuns, but the fact that unlike our previous coach, this team has been coached not to get complacent after going up by 21 or such. I think after reading about both schools Southern Miss' offensive weapons can tear up the Cajun's holes on defense. Southern Miss' defense practices daily against the Running Back who has gained the most yards in the nation in the past 2 years so i'm not really worried about that account. I'm a Southern Miss fan but even if I wasn't I would be scared of Damion Fletcher. This is a kid that is 600 yards away from 3,000 career yards and has shaved a tenth off his 40 time this season as well as added more muscle while saying he is 'applying himself' more than he did in the past. Based on the past scores I say 14-7 at halftime and 38-10 final Southern Miss over the Cajuns _
    First of all, your coach hasn't coached a game yet for Southern Miss. Secondly, we also have a running back who is not only an All American candidate, but would be one of six rushers in college football history with four consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Our starting quarterback is also a good runner, while Southern Miss's quarterback hasn't even started a game yet. This game will be determined by who will be standing by the fourth quarter. And in my honest opinion, it's almost even. I know I sound like I'm going on a rant, but I do resect what you have to say. At the same time, I do not think it will be a 38-10 blowout.

7. Default Re: Southern Miss predictions

_ I think the game will be moderately close at first but I do think USM will turn it into a blowout. I say this not to take anything away from the Cajuns, but the fact that unlike our previous coach, this team has been coached not to get complacent after going up by 21 or such. I think after reading about both schools Southern Miss' offensive weapons can tear up the Cajun's holes on defense. Southern Miss' defense practices daily against the Running Back who has gained the most yards in the nation in the past 2 years so i'm not really worried about that account. I'm a Southern Miss fan but even if I wasn't I would be scared of Damion Fletcher. This is a kid that is 600 yards away from 3,000 career yards and has shaved a tenth off his 40 time this season as well as added more muscle while saying he is 'applying himself' more than he did in the past. Based on the past scores I say 14-7 at halftime and 38-10 final Southern Miss over the Cajuns _
    With all do respect. NO team with a new HC, OC and brand spanking new QB is blowing out ANY team in the first game of the regular season Most defense (good or bad) are light-years ahead of most offenses early in the season, any avid football fan knows that. True, you have a stud at halfback, but you also have a lot of questions marks and unproven players that surround him. A good running game will always help tremendously. but it just so happens that we aren't so bad in that arena of the game either

Homer to Homer this game will shock one nation either way (Cajun Nation or Eagle nation, respectfully)

Cajuns 33
    Eagles 31

and we're bringing the RAGIN' RED ZONE with us baby!

I will echo what ULVictory said. How do you know what your team is coached like. Talk is cheap and thats all you have to hang your hat on right now. Also, what player says he spent the offseason relaxing and having fun. ALL of these guys work hard. College football is a year around job.
    Based on talent USM should win the game, but as we have seen that does not always determine the winner. See you in Hattiesburg!

Ragin Rash,

I won't be able to provide designated driver services once the tailgating begins. A couple of cougar hunters are part of my crew. It could a 12-14 hour sauce-festival.

UL Football Re: Who's Going to see UL vs USM

If as many go as say they are going this will help UL in recruitng.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ That would be amazing.

Z _

We all know what kind of running game UL has and with our improved passing game, USM will have trouble stopping us. The difference this year is defense. We have size, strength, speed and some depth. Our defensive coordinator will be able to do things that he wasn't able to last year. IF our defense is for real, look out. USM has a good team. This should be a war. UL in a close one 24-21.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    Because it's name is Fedora and it will be his offense's first game at USM.
    Question for So Miss fans reading this forum -

Who is your football "rival"?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Based on past scores? I don't think a single starter on either side has ever played against the other. I sure wouldn't go on past history, one way or the other.

I think our game against Houston season before last might be something to compare. We came back from 21 and beat them, at Houston. USM beat them with a similar score, at USM, the following game, then lost to Houston in the CUSA championship. I would also look at our opening game at South Carolina last year, where indeed we lost 28-14. but the score doesn't show that we sustained 2 drives in the second half, to inside the 5 yard line and shot ourselves in the foot. We may get rattled in SEC games, but we won't against CUSA.

Expect a better game, from start to finish. You won't hold UL to a field goal in the second half. but we will see come next Saturday.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You have a new coach with NO head coaching experience. An inexperienced D line. A secondary that you ASSume will be pretty good, but had some big mistakes last year. An untested freshman quarterback. This game will be close. You arent BCS. You are CUSA, who by the way has a very marginal record against the Sunbelt the last few years.

Go tell yourself how great you are on your board.

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    _ Ragin Rash,

I won't be able to provide designated driver services once the tailgating begins. A couple of cougar hunters are part of my crew. It could a 12-14 hour sauce-festival. _
    get shots before you leave town.

Page 41 of 222 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread Information