Page 37 of 222 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Season Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post

What changed between then and now?
    .the methanol content of his moonshine?

2. UL Football Attitude Adjustment

At 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 30, Rickey Bustle will lead a football team onto the field for the 31st straight year. He’ll do so for the seventh season as head coach of UL Lafayette’s Ragin’ Cajuns, undoubtedly with the same marked enthusiasm that seems to underscore his every endeavor.

And for yet another fall, Cajun fans will hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Since 1996, the Cajuns have had just one winning season. In 2005, they rallied for five consecutive wins at the end to finish 6-5. Even the most ardent fans have now realized that success in college football is more than talented athletes, the money to recruit and train them, and modern facilities. It’s more than a friendly schedule, too, though if friends are responsible for the usual slate of Cajun opponents, who needs enemies?

Winning is attitude, an unwavering belief that you will succeed regardless of odds and obstacles. It’s why LSU wins BCS Championships even sometimes with less talent than its opponents. It’s why the Giants are defending a Super Bowl title, why little Tampa Bay continues to whip up on the mighty Red Sox and Yankees, and why Tiger Woods seldom loses a tournament. He might get beat, but he won’t lose.

The rest of the story

By Don Allen

The Independant

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Southern Mississippi secondary not a worry for first-year coach Larry Fedora

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    _ Here is today's sports on the local tv station showing the new stadium expansion from the inside. It is the second story. Also some pictures from today showing the inside.

http://www.wdam.com/Global/category&nav=menu123_3

http://www.eaglepost.info/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=1694 _
    Would you happen to have a link to some pictures of the baseball renovations? I've been looking for some, but can't find any.

Default Re: Attitude Adjustment

Ok, I'll jump in with a FWIW.

For a Don Allen piece this one is a little disappointing in that I don't see much that hasn't already been said a lot already. Typically, this stuff would be more appropriate in a post season "debacle" article.

The schedule is the schedule. It's been suggested before - compare to FAU and Troy and ULM's.

The budget is growing not shrinking. Improvements to our facilities are actually being made and not just talked about like until very recently. We have a new and more energetic administration.

The coaching staff has been seriously upgraded.

He didn't call us "young". Because, we're topped out with scholarship players (who are fine kids as well) and we have some real talent and experience at several key spots.

I will give Don Allen credit for not obsessing over our fruity uniforms and dorky mascot and the condition of the restrooms in mid-July at Cajun Field. It's real plus he didn't mention any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You arent the same guy that posted this a month ago are you?

PR_Eagle So far I'm up to no good
    . Re: CAJUNS 14 point underdogs in week 1

Glad to see I'm not the only Eagle poster in these parts SE.

I'll admit though, I do think the 14 pt. spread is a little generous. Obviously, I'm going to say we're taking this convincingly, but Bower taught me never to let my expectations get too high. I'm hoping Coach Fedora can make Hattiesburg a tough place to play. Bower-ball got stale.

Aug. 30th can't come fast enough.

What changed between then and now?
    Got to see and read on 21 good practices and scrimmages.

Plus, the closer to gametime, the more the 'raving lunatic fan' comes out. Any true fan of their team should know that. It's just a little ribbing between teams.

Quote Originally Posted by PR_Eagle View Post
    _ Got to see and read on 21 good practices and scrimmages.

Plus, the closer to gametime, the more the 'raving lunatic fan' comes out. Any true fan of their team should know that. It's just a little ribbing between teams. _
    Exactly thats why I see a 17 pt UL victory

Default Re: Southern Mississippi secondary not a worry for first-year coach Larry Fedora

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    Would you happen to have a link to some pictures of the baseball renovations? I've been looking for some, but can't find any.
    Here is a link to construction updates from the official website. If you look at gallery 30 and 31 they have some baseball pictures. There will also be updates on the basketball arena and football stadium.

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/.galleries.html

_ Here is a link to construction updates from the official website. If you look at gallery 30 and 31 they have some baseball pictures. There will also be updates on the basketball arena and football stadium.

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/.galleries.html _
    A question for you , if you happen to know the answer, what sort of funding formula does Mississippi use in distributing funding for higher ed in the state? Roughly how is it divided between UM, USM and MSU? Also are you allowed to charge a student fee dedicated to athletic funding as part of each semester's tuition and fees? If so, how much is that per semester? And finally is there a cap on the amount of the school's budget that can be directed towards athletics?

Just curious about the funding to compare how Mississippi does it versus Louisiana. Since both our schools are mid-majors and are or at least at one time were considered on par and folks (myself included) complain that we have not kept up it would be noteworthy to see the differences in funding mechanisms and any restrictions on funding that could contribute to that failure to "keep up".

Thanks in advance.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ Here is a link to construction updates from the official website. If you look at gallery 30 and 31 they have some baseball pictures. There will also be updates on the basketball arena and football stadium.

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/.galleries.html _
    Thanks for the link Spread. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing/reading that you guys spent about $3 Million on those renovations? And construction lasted a little over a year?

Just curious.Plans are in the works to have some work done on our stadium, though nothing final has been announced yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of the scope of USM's project (cost, timing, extra improvements) to have a better idea of what we can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    A question for you , if you happen to know the answer, what sort of funding formula does Mississippi use in distributing funding for higher ed in the state? Roughly how is it divided between UM, USM and MSU? Also are you allowed to charge a student fee dedicated to athletic funding as part of each semester's tuition and fees? If so, how much is that per semester? And finally is there a cap on the amount of the school's budget that can be directed towards athletics?

Just curious about the funding to compare how Mississippi does it versus Louisiana. Since both our schools are mid-majors and are or at least at one time were considered on par and folks (myself included) complain that we have not kept up it would be noteworthy to see the differences in funding mechanisms and any restrictions on funding that could contribute to that failure to "keep up".

Thanks in advance.
    Hammer I am sorry but I don't have many answers for you. I do believe a student fee is charged for athletics. There was a bond election in Hattiesburg to help finance some facility improvements, but it was defeated by Hattiesburg residents. I do know the selling of the suites raised a lot of money used for facility upgrades. As for how money is split up between OM, MSU and USM, I don't know that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    Thanks for the link Spread. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing/reading that you guys spent about $3 Million on those renovations? And construction lasted a little over a year?

Just curious.Plans are in the works to have some work done on our stadium, though nothing final has been announced yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of the scope of USM's project (cost, timing, extra improvements) to have a better idea of what we can expect.
    I don't know the answers to your questions. Once again the selling of suites was a revenue source for the upgrade of Pete Taylor park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ A question for you , if you happen to know the answer, what sort of funding formula does Mississippi use in distributing funding for higher ed in the state? Roughly how is it divided between UM, USM and MSU? Also are you allowed to charge a student fee dedicated to athletic funding as part of each semester's tuition and fees? If so, how much is that per semester? And finally is there a cap on the amount of the school's budget that can be directed towards athletics?

Thanks in advance.
    Here are a few answers for you:

1. The state funding is mostly pro-rated by number of students and their class load and is considered fair by most. There are additional funds directed toward a specialty situation like the Ole Miss medical school in Jackson which everyone understands it costs more to educate a medical student than most other majors.

2. Schools are allowed to charge either for athletic fees or charge students for tickets. USM elects to charge an athletic fee, dont know the exact amount.

3. The state does not allow USM, Ole Ms, or Ms State to direct any general fund money into athletics. The programs are MANDATED to be self supporting. There might be a nominal amount charged against general fund but that would be to offset expenses incurred by the athletic department on behalf of other entities at the university which were not athletic related.

4. The football stadium upgrades were built with just over $30,000,000 in funds from a bond issue. Those bonds are being retired by leasing the suites, club seats, and donations. Suites leased at up to $35,000 per year (34 suites) and each of the ones leasing them signed on for a long team. Club seats of which there are some 1200 require annual minimum of $1250 surcharge (depends on seat location) for each one with minimum of 3yr commitment. The baseball field upgrade, $3mil, was handled same way, folks leasing the suites signed long term leases which will redeem the bonds (more are planned). The high definition video board installed last year was in excess of $3mil which was a bargain for its size, etc. USM got the good deal since it was handled by an alum. The board was paid for by leasing advertizing space (long term leases). Upgrades in basketball arena are around $3mil and was paid for by fan donations and some state money since part of the structure will be used for classroom and instructional purposes. New field house, finished 2yr ago, cost in excess of $12mil and paid for by donations. New field turf installed as a donation.

In summary, over $50mil has been spent now within past five years with the funds raised entirely from fans and supporters. Frankly, the state ultimatum that USM, Ole Ms, and Ms State operate athletics without state funds was initiated by the legislators favoaring State and Ole Miss. This came at a time just a few years back when USM was surpassing them athletically and they passed the mandate hoping it would knock USM out of the race. They didnt need to worry about their own since State and OM received the SEC distributions exceeding $10mil annually and would not need the state money. USM fans rallied and we did it on our own.
    _

"USM fans rallied and we did it on our own."

UL fans CAN do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun eagle View Post
    Here are a few answers for you:
    1. The state funding is mostly pro-rated by number of students and their class load and is considered fair by most. There are additional funds directed toward a specialty situation like the Ole Miss medical school in Jackson which everyone understands it costs more to educate a medical student than most other majors.

2. Schools are allowed to charge either for athletic fees or charge students for tickets. USM elects to charge an athletic fee, dont know the exact amount.

3. The state does not allow USM, Ole Ms, or Ms State to direct any general fund money into athletics. The programs are MANDATED to be self supporting. There might be a nominal amount charged against general fund but that would be to offset expenses incurred by the athletic department on behalf of other entities at the university which were not athletic related.

4. The football stadium upgrades were built with just over $30,000,000 in funds from a bond issue. Those bonds are being retired by leasing the suites, club seats, and donations. Suites leased at up to $35,000 per year (34 suites) and each of the ones leasing them signed on for a long team. Club seats of which there are some 1200 require annual minimum of $1250 surcharge (depends on seat location) for each one with minimum of 3yr commitment. The baseball field upgrade, $3mil, was handled same way, folks leasing the suites signed long term leases which will redeem the bonds (more are planned). The high definition video board installed last year was in excess of $3mil which was a bargain for its size, etc. USM got the good deal since it was handled by an alum. The board was paid for by leasing advertizing space (long term leases). Upgrades in basketball arena are around $3mil and was paid for by fan donations and some state money since part of the structure will be used for classroom and instructional purposes. New field house, finished 2yr ago, cost in excess of $12mil and paid for by donations. New field turf installed as a donation.

In summary, over $50mil has been spent now within past five years with the funds raised entirely from fans and supporters. Frankly, the state ultimatum that USM, Ole Ms, and Ms State operate athletics without state funds was initiated by the legislators favoaring State and Ole Miss. This came at a time just a few years back when USM was surpassing them athletically and they passed the mandate hoping it would knock USM out of the race. They didnt need to worry about their own since State and OM received the SEC distributions exceeding $10mil annually and would not need the state money. USM fans rallied and we did it on our own.
    _ _
    Thanks. And congratulations on defeating the attempts to strangle your program. It always amuses me how those entities with favored status write the rules and set the bar low enough that they need not worry but high enough to make it difficult if not impossible for others. We hear much the same in Louisiana where one school was showered with money and resources for decades and now they look at the rest of us and scornfully ask why we can't be as successful as them?

Aug 30th ain't long now!

See y'all soon.

Page 37 of 222 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 . LastLast

Thread Information