Page 27 of 222 FirstFirst . 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Cajuns Complete First Fall Scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    _ I saw the red shirt kid, Gauthier, in the Louisiana v. Texas all star game on TV. Unfortunately, he was less than impressive. I think he acknowledged that he had a bad game, so we can't hold that against him. Is he looking pretty good in practice? Does he have a future as a QB because that surely wasn't evidenced in that game? He looked to be a good athlete, however. _

He is the real deal. As a matter of fact, I'd say he will probably be the one running this offense next year and for a while. I know we haven't seen these other guys truly play yet but he is very talented. The all-star game was not his best but he did have his moments that made you say wow. My cousin covered him quite a bit in high school and he told me how good he was. It is just going to take a while for him and Keldric to learn the playbook since they are true freshmen and probably won't see the field this year. I'd expect for Gauthier to be red shirted but Cajun T can answer that better than any of us.

Default Re: NCAA Football pREview - UL Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I don't do predictions (or bet). However, if I did do predictions I would pick us 9-3 just to offset this guy's predicition. That should equalize the karma involved here and leave it to the players and coaches to decide what the final 2008 record will be. _

Based on our performance the past 7 years and our projection last year vs. our actual record, his prediction is predictable and understandable. Personally, I think this is a break-out year for UL and we will have a great year. However, until we actually do it, there is no reason for writers like this guy in Philadelphia to predict anything other than what he did.

Default Re: Season Predictions

Unlike many people, I didn't have any true expectations of last year's team going into the year. They just had too many question marks IMO. The loss to McNeese was awful but I really didn't know what to expect. This year is a bit different. Mike is comfortable with the offense, he is a great leader and the team really is buying into what the coaches' are preaching. I think this team is capable of an 8 win year just as they are capable of tanking if for another 3 win year. It all revolves around the defense and whether we can pass the ball over the seams this year. The defense needs to improve by leaps and bounds over last year but I think a lot of last year's problems were mental both by the players and the coaches' inability to gameplan and make proper adjustments. We need this to be a nice year to start building this program the right way, especially with all of the youth that we will have playing in key positions next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Cajun T, during the scrimmage the QB got under center a lot more than usual. Is this something we can expect to see a lot more of? _
    Having the QB under center allows the staff to run some play action throwing the ball down the field. So yes, I think you will see more of that formation this season, then in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ So does this Froshy have the goods? I'm referring to Chris Masson Is he the real deal? _
    McGuire had the edge coming out of the spring, but Masson took a big step forward this Saturday. The coaching staff is being tight lipped about the QB depth chart, but Gautier is also in the mix for the travel squad.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ McGuire had the edge coming out of the spring, but Masson took a big step forward this Saturday. The coaching staff is being tight lipped about the QB depth chart, but Gautier is also in the mix for the travel squad. _
    I loved the way Gautier looked in the pocket. Calm and collective, not to mention that throw on the run for the first down while being chased from behind

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ He is the real deal. As a matter of fact, I'd say he will probably be the one running this offense next year and for a while. I know we haven't seen these other guys truly play yet but he is very talented. The all-star game was not his best but he did have his moments that made you say wow. My cousin covered him quite a bit in high school and he told me how good he was. It is just going to take a while for him and Keldric to learn the playbook since they are true freshmen and probably won't see the field this year. I'd expect for Gauthier to be red shirted but Cajun T can answer that better than any of us. _
    Gautier is in the mix for the travel squad, he is at a disadvantage of not being in the system for one year like Masson and McGuire. The next few scrimmages will be a major factor in Gautier's status this season. I think Gautier and White end up red-shirting this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Having the QB under center allows the staff to run some play action throwing the ball down the field. So yes, I think you will see more of that formation this season, then in the past few years.
    That is awesome news T.

I have been advocating more use of the pro set a few years now. Fenroy will only be that much more deadly out of this, and the passing game will open up more as well.

It seems that the few times we have run the stretch play, Fenroy has had big gainers.

Based on our performance the past 7 years and our projection last year vs. our actual record, his prediction is predictable and understandable.
    That is exactly my problem with these "foreign" guys. It's kind of like what I heard out of the Houston media when I was over there in '06 for our game versus U-Hou. All they had in hand was our record the past several years and what conference we are in, none of which helped them predict the winner of that game. What's a guy in Philly doing trying to predict our finish for anyway? Is the SBC is a hot item in eastern Pennsylvania?

10. Default Re: Football Practice Gallery

Paul I like the pics and I really like the intro on "Pirogue's Pictures"

Snap any pictures that you consider to be diamonds in the rough lately?

Default Re: Football Practice Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Paul I like the pics and I really like the intro on "Pirogue's Pictures"

Snap any pictures that you consider to be diamonds in the rough lately? _
    Not yet
    but here's a link to a pretty cool slideshow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pirogue.7606569045407/

12. UL Football Fall Practice: Monday

In what was scheduled for an early ending of practice on Monday turned into extra conditioning for Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns. Sunday’s day off carried over into Monday and the coaching staff were quick to remind the players of their lackadaisical practice.

The Cajuns worked 11 periods in full pads before ending on a sour note with conditioning.

“It was disappointing,” running backs coach Brian Jenkins said. “Disappointing as a football team (and) disappointing as a practice. Just disappointing.

“It was the worst practice of camp.”

The Cajuns were never able to find their focus after enjoying the previous 48 hours away from the practice field.

“I hope we never return to this point because we’re never going to do it if we have many more practices like this,” Jenkins added.

“I think the guys didn’t handle their day off correctly. With anything you do, when you get a break, you have to come back with focus.

“It’s not the coaches – it falls on the players. They have to find a way to come back more focused.”

The Cajuns look to rebound on Tuesday. The team has a walk through slated for 8 a.m. and will practice at 3:30 p.m.

“Tomorrow has to be a great one because we are operating from behind,” Jenkins stated. “Whenever you a practice like this (on Monday), you end up operating from behind.

“We are going to keep demanding the best, demanding they stay focused and demanding everything that they’ve got in them. They have to find a way to come back tomorrow and get back what we lost.”

RaginCajuns.com

13. UL Football The long ball: UL receiving corps to get more opportunities in '08

Lance Kelley showed off his sure hands in the second half of UL's football scrimmage on Saturday, hauling in a pass from quarterback Chris Masson after a defender missed the ball. In the next few seconds, Kelley did what good wide receivers do:

The redshirt freshman picked up yards after the catch.

The former St. Thomas More standout then showed off his field vision, working his way up the left sideline for a scoring play that covered 54 yards.

While last year's top two receivers, seniors Jason Chery and Derrick Smith, are expected to start again this season, Kelley is one of the youngsters that need to emerge as the Ragin' Cajuns look to throw the ball more often in 2008. Last year, the Cajuns ranked seventh nationally in rushing but finished 115th in passing.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • August 12, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ That is exactly my problem with these "foreign" guys. It's kind of like what I heard out of the Houston media when I was over there in '06 for our game versus U-Hou. All they had in hand was our record the past several years and what conference we are in, none of which helped them predict the winner of that game. What's a guy in Philly doing trying to predict our finish for anyway? Is the SBC is a hot item in eastern Pennsylvania? _

It must be the UL Lafayette and Lafayette College connection.

It must be the UL Lafayette and Lafayette College connection. _
    Good observation. What else could it be?

Page 27 of 222 FirstFirst . 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 . LastLast

Thread Information