Page 188 of 222 FirstFirst . 178 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 198 . LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: La Tech vs UL in a Bowl Game it could Happen?

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Elite too. You forgot elite. _
    Deafening is the silence on your reply from Mr. R (chuckle, grin, snicker)

Goat ache!

Default Re: La Tech vs UL in a Bowl Game it could Happen?

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Elite too. You forgot elite. _
    That's pronounced ee-light up in Ruston.

3. UL Football Ragin' Cajuns ready to roll

The doubters gave their opinions in the preseason, picking UL's football team to finish sixth this season in the Sun Belt.

In many ways, that's now a distant memory. The Cajuns (5-3 overall, 4-0 Sun Belt) can become bowl-eligible for the third time in four seasons by beating UTEP (3-5, 3-2 Conference USA) in a non-conference game at 6 tonight at Cajun Field.

"We ain't in the shade no more," UL coach Rickey Bustle said for a program coming off a 3-9 season. "I like this 4-0 business. The shade's gone."

Translation: Life is good in Lafayette.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • November 8, 2008

4. UL Football Opponent View: Cajuns bring new test for UTEP defense

EL PASO -- November non-conference football games, at least in recent years, have been even rarer than November victories for the UTEP football team.

Games against teams that don't spread out the field and chuck, chuck, chuck the football have been almost as unusual for a Miner squad that sees a heavy dose of Conference USA passing teams late after seeing a heavy dose of non-conference passing teams early.

Against that backdrop comes a Louisiana squad that lines up with a featured tailback, a blocking fullback and a tight end and batters the football down the field like a throwback from the 20th century.

The rest of the story

By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times

5. UL Football Win over UTEP would make UL bowl eligible

UL— Bowl eligible hasn’t been a phrase commonly associated with Louisiana at Lafayette recent football seasons. UL has a chance to change that today beginning at 6 p.m. at Cajun Field with a victory over Conference USA member Texas-El Paso.

The Cajuns (5-3) can qualify for postseason play by earning a sixth win for only the 11th time since the school participated in its last bowl game 38 years ago.

UL has reached the sixth victory plateau only four times since 1994, with two of those under current coach Rickey Bustle.

The Cajuns are 5-3 for only the second time since 1995.
    Bustle said UL, which has won five of its last six, has the chance for a strong finish.

The rest of the story

By BOB ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

6. UL Football Opponent View: Teams ready for first-ever meeting

EL PASO -- Though this is the first meeting between UTEP and the school formerly known as Southwestern Louisiana (it changed names in 1999), UTEP coach Mike Price does have some history with the Ragin' Cajuns from his days at Washington State.

His 16th-ranked Cougars trounced Louisiana 77-7 in 1997 and 44-0 two years later.

Offensive goal: While the UTEP offense was two drops away from being spectacular in the 49-44 loss to Rice, the focus this week is in short-yardage situations, where UTEP has struggled all season. It might have lost four points last week after a fourth-down conversion was negated by a penalty, forcing a field goal.

The rest of the story

By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times

Default Re: The Red Zone may be Black for UTEP

Some 26 or so years ago, we tailgaters approached the university concerning reserving our spots. We petitioned the administration to allow us to pay for our spots so as to reserve them. Nelson was somewhat reluctant at the time, but gave in. Just look at how it has blossomed on the West side of the field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though this is a similar situation. I, for one am thrilled at the prospect of more tailgaters, and while the change in mid stream seems questionable it appears to be one of necessity, and $50 for a group of people seems a small price to pay.

8. Default Re: The Red Zone may be Black for UTEP

dstroker1 are you sure about who was AD around 1982?

igeaux.mobi

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! We have a winner!

Hey, here's a suggestion fo rthe students. Instead of worrying about dressing in black for a phony protest how about the females dress exotically adn do some gyrations along the railing. Since the art of exotic dancing seems to be Coach Price's hobby it might serve to distract him during the game! Horizontal rail dancing?! _
    Why did you wait so long to make this suggestion!? There may not be enough time to get the word out. but I'm going to try!!! Only problem is that when I told my bud Brick (who you've met at the Eauxk), he said "hey dude, my daughter is one of them. shut ya mouth!"

Quote Originally Posted by dstroker1 View Post
    _ Some 26 or so years ago, we tailgaters approached the university concerning reserving our spots. We petitioned the administration to allow us to pay for our spots so as to reserve them. Nelson was somewhat reluctant at the time, but gave in. Just look at how it has blossomed on the West side of the field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though this is a similar situation. I, for one am thrilled at the prospect of more tailgaters, and while the change in mid stream seems questionable it appears to be one of necessity, and $50 for a group of people seems a small price to pay. _
    Petitioning the university to give them money? Unheard of.

Seriously, I've never seen a university that makes it so difficult to give money to.

I'd gladly pay for reserved parking at Cajunfield, but unless you pay for a chairback or are a Louisiana Classics member, no reserved parking for you.

11. UL Football Loss to UTEP Ends Win Streak

UL - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns continued their struggles against Conference USA, falling to UTEP on Saturday evening at Cajun Field by a final score of 37-24.

The Cajuns dropped a 51-21 decision at Southern Mississippi earlier in the season and hold an all-time mark of 3-21 against C-USA foes.

The loss ended Louisiana’s four-game winning streak. The Cajuns are now 5-4 on the season, while UTEP improved to 4-5.

Cajuns running back Tyrell Fenroy ran for 126 yards and a touchdown in the game pushing his career rushing total to 4,448 yards. He passed former Tulane and current Pittsburgh Steelers running back Mewelde Moore into second place on the State of Louisiana career rushing list. Fenroy now trails career leader Kevin Faulk (LSU/New England Patriots) by 109 yards.

A 14-point third quarter helped UTEP extend its halftime lead to 20 points with 5:24 remaining in third stanza. The Miners converted their first possession of the second half thanks to a seven-yard scoring strike from Trevor Vittatoe to Kris Adams.

Michael Desormeaux threw an interception on the next play to give UTEP the ball on the Cajuns 26-yard line. Vittatoe tossed his fourth touchdown pass of the game and second to Jeff Moturi to push the lead to 30-10.

The Cajuns responded with a seven-play, 78-yard scoring drive to cut their deficit to 30-17 after three quarters. The drive’s key plays were a 28-yard rush by Fenroy and a 28-yard pass from Desormeaux to Jason Chery. Fenroy finished the drive with a three-yard scoring run, his 45th career touchdown.

UTEP quickly countered with a nine-play, 69-yard drive ending when Vittatoe hit Adams again, this time for a 23-yard touchdown pass.

Desormeaux pulled the Cajuns closer with a nine-yard touchdown pass to Ladarius Green. His nine-yard strike cut the Cajuns deficit to 37-24 with 8:23 remaining.

Orkeys Auriene then recovered the onsides kick for the Cajuns, helping UL take possession at their 38-yard line. A pair of Fenroy rushes which totaled nine yards followed by a quarterback sneak by Desormeaux moved Louisiana into UTEP territory. On the next play UTEP’s Josh Ferguson stepped in front of a Desormeaux pass for an interception.

The Cajuns would force UTEP into a three-and-out on the ensuing possession. The Miners defense stepped up once more with another interception. On the second play of the possession, Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith picked off a Desormeaux pass attempt sealing the victory for the visitors. UTEP then ran off the final 3:58 of the clock

Vittatoe ended the game with five touchdowns on 24-of-33 passing for 294 yards. Adams and Moturi each hauled into two touchdown catches for the Miners.

Desormeaux finished with 185 passing yards on 14-of-25 passing. He was hurt by three interceptions – two of which came in the fourth quarter after the onsides kickoff recovery. Fenroy led the Cajuns with 58 receiving yards. Green posted a team-best three catches for 40 yards.

For the second straight week, Gerren Blount cashed in a turnover for six points. Blount’s first interception of the season on the fourth play of the game was returned 55 yards for a touchdown. Last week, Blount returned a fumble 30 yards for a score against FIU.

It marked just the second time this season that the Cajuns had scored first in a game. The Cajuns scored first at Kansas State, a 45-37 loss.

UTEP answered with a 10-play, 67-yard drive consuming 5:40 of the quarter. Vittatoe connected with Moturi on a 16-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 7-7 with 1:51 remaining in the first quarter.

The Cajuns went back on top thanks to a 20-yard field goal by Drew Edmiston early in the second quarter. The Cajuns 10-play, 70-yard drive had traveled down to the two-yard line. UL was unsuccessful trying to punch the ball in on second and third down and had to settle for the field goal.

UTEP tied the game after a Cajuns fumble on a punt return gave the Miners a short field. The UL defense held UTEP to three yards on three plays, forcing a 28-yard field goal by Jose Martinez. The game was tied at 10-10 with 8:23 to play in the first half.

The Miners took the lead at the half thanks to a seven-play, 97-yard drive in just 1:32. UTEP took possession after the Cajuns were unsuccessful on fourth-and-goal from the five-yard line. Vittatoe tossed a 32-yard touchdown to Tufick Shadrawy to put the visitors in front 16-10 at the break.

Louisiana takes to the road the next two weeks. First up is a visit to Florida Atlantic on Saturday, Nov. 15. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. (CST).

RaginCAjuns.com

12. UL Football Ragin' Cajuns fall to tough Miners

UL's goal of becoming bowl-eligible on Saturday night was put on hold. UTEP made sure of that.

Instead of picking up a non-conference win, the Cajuns suffered a stunning 37-24 loss after committing four turnovers and playing inconsistent on both sides of the ball for most of the night.

"They didn't do anything major," UL free safety

Gerren Blount said of UTEP (4-5). "They just made plays, and we didn't. We did our job.

"We just didn't make plays."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • November 9, 2008

Turbine is correct. It was more like 1986 that we approached Nelson concerning paying for tail gating spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Why did you wait so long to make this suggestion!? There may not be enough time to get the word out. but I'm going to try!!! Only problem is that when I told my bud Brick (who you've met at the Eauxk), he said "hey dude, my daughter is one of them. shut ya mouth!" _
    Hey, I'm getting old.the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.

15. Default Re: La Tech vs UL in a Bowl Game it could Happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ could that be the separation they were looking for?

Z _
    Hey Z we better concentrate on our getting our ass in a bowl---Tech is now almost assured of one!!!!------We play 2 toughies on the road and the Mid Tenn Wednesdayer!!!! If we can't get Des up to speed we are in a rough stretch!!!!!

Thread Information