Page 183 of 222 FirstFirst . 173 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 193 . LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: The Red Zone may be Black for UTEP

I think there is no time like the present. espically with all the buzz around the football program now would be a great time to push it to businesses and the rabid fan base that comes out now to the games

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

We're all armchair marketers

Default Re: La Tech vs UL in a Bowl Game it could Happen?

I have a serious problem with Tech going to New Orleans.

Join in the Wayback machine and travel to 2001.

In the Sun Belt, MTSU has beaten Vandy and taken a share of the Sun Belt title on the way to an 8-3 record. They lose to North Texas who finishes 5-6 but clinched the New Orleans Bowl berth and is slated to face a Mountain West team.

In the WAC, La.Tech finishes first, Boise State and Fresno State tie for second. The champion is assured a spot in one of two bowls, Silicon Valley or Humanitarian. Both opponent slots are open. The Silicon Valley on shakey financial ground doesn't want La.Tech no how, no way. They announce they are taking Fresno. That leaves Boise having to take Tech. Opponents aren't determined. Boise State is shut out of a bowl.

A plan emerges.
    New Orleans will send Colorado State to San Jose to face Fresno. Louisiana Tech will go to New Orleans to face North Texas. Middle will go to Boise to face Boise State.

Tech raises hell demanding to get one of the spots guaranteed because they don't want to smudge their greatness by facing UNT. Deal falls apart.

Middle gets shafted and stays home. Boise gets shafted and stays home. Silicon and Humanitarian basically sell their visitor spots.
    Silicon gets Michigan State (who wins)
    Boise gets Clemson (who wins)

North Texas and La.Tech get the honor of tying for the honor of worst margin of defeat in a bowl game for the 2001 bowl season.

I know they will likely get a bowl assignment the way things are falling but I'd much rather it be in some place like New Mexico or Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Wouldn't this only happen if CUSA gets 3 or less teams in, since the N.O. Bowl is CUSA-4? Or is that not how it works? _
    C-USA 3-6 is split between St. Pete, Fort Worth, New Orleans, and Texas in no particular order, it is just based on agreement of the bowls.

Since St. Pete and Fort Worth are owned and operated by ESPN they will not likely be left short unless they choose to be left short. Texas is on NFL Network and is likely to be snubbed unless Rice or Houston is available and they insist on staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkstfan View Post
    I have a serious problem with Tech going to New Orleans.

Join in the Wayback machine and travel to 2001.

In the Sun Belt, MTSU has beaten Vandy and taken a share of the Sun Belt title on the way to an 8-3 record. They lose to North Texas who finishes 5-6 but clinched the New Orleans Bowl berth and is slated to face a Mountain West team.

In the WAC, La.Tech finishes first, Boise State and Fresno State tie for second. The champion is assured a spot in one of two bowls, Silicon Valley or Humanitarian. Both opponent slots are open. The Silicon Valley on shakey financial ground doesn't want La.Tech no how, no way. They announce they are taking Fresno. That leaves Boise having to take Tech. Opponents aren't determined. Boise State is shut out of a bowl.

A plan emerges.
    New Orleans will send Colorado State to San Jose to face Fresno. Louisiana Tech will go to New Orleans to face North Texas. Middle will go to Boise to face Boise State.

Tech raises hell demanding to get one of the spots guaranteed because they don't want to smudge their greatness by facing UNT. Deal falls apart.

Middle gets shafted and stays home. Boise gets shafted and stays home. Silicon and Humanitarian basically sell their visitor spots.
    Silicon gets Michigan State (who wins)
    Boise gets Clemson (who wins)

North Texas and La.Tech get the honor of tying for the honor of worst margin of defeat in a bowl game for the 2001 bowl season.

I know they will likely get a bowl assignment the way things are falling but I'd much rather it be in some place like New Mexico or Hawaii.
    Too smart by half. How dumb can they be, snubbing a bowl in their own state? Have they no concept of political karma?

I don't want UL to play Tech in a Bowl. They're much too far above us to have to stoop to our level.

Separation, baby, separation.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Here's what the students aren't telling you.

Student tailgaiting IS free.

The entire east side of the stadium is reserved for student tailgaiting on a first come-first served basis.

The moaning and _____ing is coming from the areas that have been used by students, but were available to everyone on a first come first served basis.

The problems arose when folks started showing up to claim those spots before the time set up by the university, which was causing a cluster.

In retrospect, the administration agrees that they should have done this prior to the start of the season.

But this business of having supper with the poor poor students is bogus. They still have the whole east side of the stadium. And, it's free.
    And I gotta say, the kids aren't always the best tailgating neighbors.

The ones near us were using the slot to park their camper, and then park all of their friend's cars packed in there even overflowing into our slot.

And they were playing loud music, blowing their horns, running a siren.

I know they were just having fun, but they were loud, crowded, and interfering with MY fun.

I mean, interfering with me BEING Fun.

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Don't students get free tickets?

Pony up the $50 and quit being babies
    I think they pay an athletics fee, whether they come or not.

And this is a University first. It should exist, first and foremost, for the kids.

I just want the U to offer them their own tailgating area.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ And I gotta say, the kids aren't always the best tailgating neighbors.

The ones near us were using the slot to park their camper, and then park all of their friend's cars packed in there even overflowing into our slot.

And they were playing loud music, blowing their horns, running a siren.

I know they were just having fun, but they were loud, crowded, and interfering with MY fun.

I mean, interfering with me BEING Fun.

Whatever. _

And then they went in the stadium and rolled all over the end zones having a grand old time - getting in the bushes, etc. All those kids and parents enjoying themselves at a Cajuns game was a FUN sight to behold.

Can we PLEASE bring back the cannon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Too smart by half. How dumb can they be, snubbing a bowl in their own state? Have they no concept of political karma?

I don't want UL to play Tech in a Bowl. They're much too far above us to have to stoop to our level.

Separation, baby, separation. _
    Assuming the Texsters are eligible at the end of the season, they will surely want a slot in some faraway western place in order to maintain "separation". Some place like Moose Fart, Montana would do perfect.

UL Football Sports Network Predicted Outcome: UL 45, UTEP 38

Texas-El Paso (3-5) at Louisiana (5-3)
    By Sports Network
    The Sports Network
    Posted: Wednesday, Nov. 05, 2008

FACTS & STATS: Site: Cajun Field (30,000) -- Lafayette, Louisiana. Television: ESPN+. Home Record: UTEP 2-3, UL 3-0. Away Record: UTEP 1-2, UL 2-3. Neutral Record: UTEP 0-0, ULL 0-0. Conference Record: UTEP 2-2, UL 4-0. Series Record: First-ever meeting.

GAME NOTES: The UL Ragin' Cajuns will step out of league action this Saturday when they host the Texas-El Paso Miners in a non-conference tilt at Cajun Field. The Miners head into this matchup in the midst of a two-game losing skid, and the latest loss for UTEP was a heartbreaking, 49-44 setback to Rice this past Saturday. The Miners have struggled away from home this season, posting a 1-2 mark, and since the 2006 campaign the Miners have posted a meager 4-11 record on the road. As for the Cajuns, they have won four consecutive matchups, including a convincing, 49-20 win over Florida International this past weekend. After going just 1-5 at Cajun Field this past season, the Cajuns have played much better at home this year, winning all three of their matchups on their home field in 2008. This will be the first- ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron.

The Miners' offensive success can be attributed to the team's passing attack, which is producing 253.9 ypg through the air. Out of the 28 touchdowns scored by this offense, 20 have come via the pass. Overall this unit heads into this contest averaging 386.5 total ypg, and that has led to 33.0 ppg. The main reason for the success of the passing game is Trevor Vittatoe, who has thrown for 1,895 yards and 19 touchdowns against just five interceptions. Jeff Moturi has been the main option for Vittatoe, as the wideout is leading the squad with 33 receptions, 411 yards and six scores. The Miners do not possess a main tailback, but the squad does have a few options in the backfield that have helped the team rack up 132.6 rushing ypg. The last time UTEP was on the field, the squad posted 467 total yards, but still fell short against Rice. Vittatoe was impressive in the loss, throwing for 265 yards and three touchdowns, while Moturi hauled in three scores and finished the game with 109 yards on five receptions.

Unfortunately the Miners have been held back by their defensive unit, which is being abused for 483.4 total ypg, and that has led to 39.4 ppg. The team has been unable to stop the run or pass, as the opposition is gashing UTEP for 208.8 ypg, while also torching the defense for 274.6 ypg through the air. In the recent loss to Rice, the defensive backfield was embarrassed by the Owls, surrendering 376 yards and five touchdowns through the air. Overall this unit was pounded for 543 total yards, and also allowed Rice to convert all five of its red zone chances. Adam Vincent racked up 12 tackles in the setback, while DaMon Cromartie-Smith added nine stops for UTEP.

The Cajuns' offense is fueled by its tremendous ground game, which is pounding the opposition for 301.2 rushing ypg, and out of the 39 touchdowns scored by the Cajuns, 28 have come via the run. Overall this unit is producing 491.5 total ypg, and that has led to 37.4 ppg. The main reason for the success of the rushing attack has been the play of Tyrell Fenroy, who became just the seventh player in college history to rush for over 1,000 yards for four consecutive seasons. Fenroy currently has 1,051 yards on the season and has scored 15 touchdowns as well. Quarterback Michael Desormeaux has also contributed to the ground game, rushing for 752 yards and five scores on 7.5 ypg. However, the signal caller has only thrown for 1,292 yards and eight scores against five interceptions. Fenroy helped lead the Cajuns in the win over FIU, as the tailback rushed for 81 yards and three scores, while Desormeaux added 44 yards in the victory. Desormeaux also threw for 216 yards and two scores for UL.

Unfortunately the defensive unit has not been very successful this season, as opponents are abusing UL for 419.5 total ypg, and that has led to 31.4 ppg. The team's main problem has come against the run, as teams are gashing the Cajuns for 208.9 rushing ypg, and out of the 27 TDs allowed by this unit, 15 have come via the run. This defense has also been unable to force many big plays, as the unit has collected just 13 takeaways, while recording only 13 sacks. Surprisingly in the win over FIU, the defense was outstanding, limiting the Golden Panthers to just 270 total yards, including just 117 rushing yards. UL forced three turnovers in the victory, and also tallied two sacks. Daylon McCoy led the way for UL with 10 tackles, while Antwyn Zanders added five stops and 1.5 TFLs.

The Miners will definitely have success with their passing attack in this matchup, but the Cajuns have one of the top ground games in the nation, and should run away with a victory in this contest.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: UL 45, UTEP 38

Default ESPN Blurb

Desormeaux says he's sore, but ready: Louisiana-Lafayette quarterback Michael Desormeaux said he's not quite 100 percent from the sprained knee he suffered in the fourth quarter against North Texas on Oct. 11, but that the play of his teammates is taking the pressure off.

Desormeaux, who played last week against Florida International, is major part of the nation's best running game.

"It's one of those things that's kind of nagging and stuff like that," Desormeaux said of his knee. "I have guys that are making a lot of plays around me right now, so that makes me feel a lot better about it. You don't have to do so much."

per Graham Watson in non-BCS blogs

12. Default Re: Sports Network Predicted Outcome: UL 45, UTEP 38

Nice

Default Re: Sports Network Predicted Outcome: UL 45, UTEP 38

Geez they sure like to talk about abused defenses. Someone didn't have a good childhood.

Seriously, people will continue to judge our defense based on averages, even though our unit has been wayyy better in the last few weeks.

Default Re: ESPN Blurb

"Its just a flesh wound"

Default Re: ESPN Blurb

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ "Its just a flesh wound" _
    agreed; he'll be serpentining.

Thread Information