Page 176 of 222 FirstFirst . 166 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 186 . LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Sign seen at Cajun Field Saturday

"It's not delivery, it's Desormeaux"

Default Re: Sign seen at Cajun Field Saturday

Haha, I saw that, too. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

3. UL Football It's Desormeaux

UL quarterback Mike Desormeaux returned to the field for Saturday's 49-20 win over Florida International following a one-game absence due to a sprained right knee.

The senior enjoyed one of his more productive games of the season, completing 13-of-19 passes for 216 yards and two touchdowns. He connected on 11 of his 14 passes in the first half.

Early in the third quarter, Desormeaux hit wide receiver Richie Falgout for an 82-yard gain. Falgout was stopped at FIU's 1-yard line, setting up a 1-yard touchdown run by running back Tyrell Fenroy.

Desormeaux also ran eight times for 44 yards. He entered the weekend 12th in the nation in rushing yards per game (118).

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • November 3, 2008

4. UL Football Confident lot: Cajuns' strength forged by early season struggles

When UL's record-setting running back Tyrell Fenroy walked into the room during the press conference, teammate Mike Desormeaux laughed at what he saw. Fenroy was wearing a red t-shirt with "Mr. 4000" in big blocking lettering on the front - a gift from some old high school friends.

Earlier Saturday night, Fenroy ran for 81 yards and three touchdowns for the Cajuns in a 49-20 win over Florida International before 29,031 at Cajun Field.

In the process, the senior topped 1,000 rushing yards on the season, becoming only the seventh player in NCAA history to top that mark four times. He also became the Sun Belt's career leader with 44 rushing touchdowns and remained the nation's active leading rusher with 4,322 career yards.

Fenroy's run into the record books came in the program's 1,000th game before the largest crowd in Sun Belt history. Combined with Troy's loss to ULM, UL (5-3 overall, 4-0) moved into first place in the conference standings with its fifth victory in six games.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • November 3, 2008

Default Re: I'm a Bustle believer!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    but it will take longer than this to truly see if we are starting something worth while. _
    Well, we're one win away from being bowl eliglble three times in the last four years.

I think we've already started.

UL Football Re: I'm a Bustle believer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ You are right in that Bustle made the decision on the assistant coaches. To date this season, looks like he made more right calls. As far as recruiting goes, the assistants do just about all of that. _

Mike I never thought I would be siding with 90 vs you. The head coach gets all the credit because:

A: He is the visible head of any program.
    B: Chooses which assistants get hired to do his recruiting and carry out his vision of what kind of program he runs.
    C: Decides on the recruiting philosophy.
    D: Which borderline kids to recruit.
    E: Be the rock that the waves break against when things are bad.
    F: Make the hard decisions to run a starter off the team.
    G: The head coach almost always has to seal the deal with the recruit the assistants brought in.
    H: Be the front man to get money for the program.
    I: Motivate the team

Assistant Coach:
    A: Know and teach his position.
    B: Know and recruit his area.
    C: Motivate the players.

Players:
    A: Go to class
    B: Go to practice and buy into what the coaches are asking 100%.
    C: Do as much work in off season as possible to be ready to do A & B.

It is almost as though you are saying that because the head of ExxonMobil cannot be a roughneck, or a tool pusher he is less responsible for the companies 15 billion dollar profit than the labor guys.

This is why the head coach gets most of the money, and long term deals. Assistants are very important, and no good head coach wins with bad assistants or bad players, but he gets the credit because he makes the decisions that really matter in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I have to say, it amazes me how many fans spend so much time talking about their opinions, and so little time thinking about their opinions.

Did Bustle inherit a program that was in total disarray?

Yes.

Is being a head coach different from being an assistant?

Yes.

Does that mean that it takes time to learn it, like anything else?

Yes.

Is a head coach, by himself, all a team needs?

No.

Does he need capable assistants?

Yes.

Are there any flawless ways to select excellent assistants?

No.

Does that mean sometimes a coach has to go through several assistants until he assembles the right team?

Yes.

Have we been underpaying our assistants?

Yes.

Is there only one coaching style, and only one strategy to winning?

No.

Everybody here knows more about the X's & O's than I do, about plays and positions, about all of the technical terms. But so many of you are incapable of going beyond the basic information.

You're just like so many doctors I have worked with. They know the books and the literature, they ace the tests.

But don't put a real problem in front of them. They can't think their way out of a paper bag. And so they kill people.

I still don't know if Bustle is a good coach, and I don't know how I could ever know. A bad coach with good assistants and good players, will win .

A great coach with lousy assistants and crummy talent, will lose. _

Ultimately Fun a good coach is determined by his long term wins and loses. As is so often said, I don't have to know how to cook gumbo to know if I like it. Right now is year seven for Bustle.

From day one I said nobody should put much thought into years 1-3 because those years would be spent on just moving us from a disaster to bad.

No doubt for his detractors he still needs to do a lot this year, and next. He is actually one game away from buying himself 1009 & 2010. Kind of strange to think that you have a coach almost ten years before you know if you want him. But some only need to think of Tennessee. They have had a love hate relationship with that coach his whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ Mike I never thought I would be siding with 90 vs you. The head coach gets all the credit because:
    All things are possible. In the end this Bozo and Sybil is not much different than you. We all want this program to be all it can be. Let's sit back and enjoy!

_ Mike I never thought I would be siding with 90 vs you. The head coach gets all the credit because:

A: He is the visible head of any program.
    B: Chooses which assistants get hired to do his recruiting and carry out his vision of what kind of program he runs.
    C: Decides on the recruiting philosophy.
    D: Which borderline kids to recruit.
    E: Be the rock that the waves break against when things are bad.
    F: Make the hard decisions to run a starter off the team.
    G: The head coach almost always has to seal the deal with the recruit the assistants brought in.
    H: Be the front man to get money for the program.
    I: Motivate the team

Assistant Coach:
    A: Know and teach his position.
    B: Know and recruit his area.
    C: Motivate the players.

Players:
    A: Go to class
    B: Go to practice and buy into what the coaches are asking 100%.
    C: Do as much work in off season as possible to be ready to do A & B.

It is almost as though you are saying that because the head of ExxonMobil cannot be a roughneck, or a tool pusher he is less responsible for the companies 15 billion dollar profit than the labor guys.

This is why the head coach gets most of the money, and long term deals. Assistants are very important, and no good head coach wins with bad assistants or bad players, but he gets the credit because he makes the decisions that really matter in the long run. _

Everyone knows the head coach has ultimate responsibility for the end result. I might argue that it is somewhat impacted by finances. Go back and read my first sentence. I believe the head guy get BOTH too much credit for when things go well and too much grief when things go poorly. Therefore, at this time I believe the assistants are not getting enough props. That is one thing I have learned from attending the QB Club meetings.

Default Re: Greetings from TROY

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Warhoax after Troy game - _
    Ooops! This is why I do not bet.

The Warhoax after the Troy game (revised).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Everyone knows the head coach has ultimate responsibility for the end result. I might argue that it is somewhat impacted by finances. Go back and read my first sentence. I believe the head guy get BOTH too much credit for when things go well and too much grief when things go poorly. Therefore, at this time I believe the assistants are not getting enough props. That is one thing I have learned from attending the QB Club meetings. _

I understand where you are coming from, and I do not discount the value of assistant coaches and especially players. I will simply say this, a ship without a ruder is at the mercy of chance, and UL with Baldwin was at the mercy of God. One cannot over emphasis how important the head man is. Let me think of other comparisons, lynchpin, keystone come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ All things are possible. In the end this Bozo and Sybil is not much different than you. We all want this program to be all it can be. Let's sit back and enjoy! _

As they say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Crawl back in your cave, I know you are not loyal, and I know you will bail at the first hint of failure.

The title of this thread alone proves you are sybil, and your thinking you can pull the wool over anybodies eyes proves your are also a Bozo.

Hows that?

_ As they say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Crawl back in your cave, I know you are not loyal, and I know you will bail at the first hint of failure.

The title of this thread alone proves you are sybil, and your thinking you can pull the wool over anybodies eyes proves your are also a Bozo.

Hows that? _
    Wow. I extend an olive branch and you snap it in two. I believed in Bustle when he was first hired, lost faith after the MT game, wanted his head after McNeese, thought here we go again after USM. Since that game his team is proving themselves to be winners. We still have a lot of football left to be played. I believe this team will sweep the Belt. If they somehow fall apart I will again be on Bustles case. If that makes me Sybil then so be it. I'm only loyal to a coach in as far as if they are doing a good job. I'm always loyal to my school. I believe you also use to post to the sports only board. That was like 15 years ago. Anyways this Bozo wishes you a good day.

It sure is nice to have some more people on the bandwagon

Default Re: Sign seen at Cajun Field Saturday

Yeah that guy was right next to us! I totally dig the slogan!

Rev

Thread Information