Page 143 of 222 FirstFirst . 133 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 153 . LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

1. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Desormeaux dresses for practice

I don't know how to take this. If Des is really as hurt as he seems to be, I'd have to think McGuire would be starting. I'm just not sure how effective Des can be with a bum knee when his game is built around running all over teams with said knee.

Bustle has been pretty quiet about Des's status, though. I just hope Bustle is just playing mind games with ASU, and Des comes out and tears them a new one.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!

Default Re: Desormeaux dresses for practice

my guess is the decision was made early on not to play des, what we have been witnessing is an attempt to keep ASU guessing as long as possible. What does it hurt? And since the attention is mostly on Des and will he play, it lets McGuire concentrate on getting ready.

I guess we could be set up for a willis reed moment, but i doubt it.why risk further injury with when you can rest him for the next two weeks and come back strong for the rest of the season. This game is not a do or die game.

3. Default Re: Desormeaux dresses for practice

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    _ my guess is the decision was made early on not to play des, what we have been witnessing is an attempt to keep ASU guessing as long as possible. What does it hurt? And since the attention is mostly on Des and will he play, it lets McGuire concentrate on getting ready.

I guess we could be set up for a willis reed moment, but i doubt it.why risk further injury with when you can rest him for the next two weeks and come back strong for the rest of the season. This game is not a do or die game. _
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    _ my guess is the decision was made early on not to play des, what we have been witnessing is an attempt to keep ASU guessing as long as possible. What does it hurt? And since the attention is mostly on Des and will he play, it lets McGuire concentrate on getting ready.

I guess we could be set up for a willis reed moment, but i doubt it.why risk further injury with when you can rest him for the next two weeks and come back strong for the rest of the season. This game is not a do or die game. _
    This is good strategy by Bustle. From all reports it looks like Des is doubtful. It is smart not to reveal that.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ This is good strategy by Bustle. From all reports it looks like Des is doubtful. It is smart not to reveal that. _

Way to give away our secret dummy!

6. Default Re: Desormeaux dresses for practice

Here's some video of Desormeaux at Thursday's practice:
    http://www.kadn.com/sports/ragincajuns/31167689.html

Quote Originally Posted by wvla-wgmb View Post
    _ Here's some video of Desormeaux at Thursday's practice:
    http://www.kadn.com/sports/ragincajuns/31167689.html _
    lovin these vid clips!

8. UL Football Opponent: Unusual circumstances lead QB to Wolves

For a while, Corey Leonard wondered when he would catch a break.

South Carolina recruited him to play quarterback out of Covington High in east Louisiana, but coach Lou Holtz retired after the 2004 season. New coach Steve Spurrier decided to go in another direction.

Leonard then had his heart set on going to Ole Miss, but coach David Cutcliffe was fired after the 2004 season. The new coaching staff talked about moving Leonard to safety before eventually losing interest and pursuing other recruits.

After careful consideration, Leonard finally narrowed his choices to UL and Arkansas State. Initially, he was going to commit to play for the Ragin’ Cajuns. But when Leonard came to Lafayette to tell the coaches of his decision he learned that St. Thomas More’s John Hundley committed to UL one day earlier.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 18, 2008

9. UL Football McGuire's time may arrive at UL

When Brad McGuire decided to sign with UL over Florida International and Southeastern Louisiana in 2007, this was the ultimate moment he was waiting for. The scenario is just a little different than the redshirt freshman would have liked.

Starting quarterback Mike Desormeaux remains questionable for the Ragin' Cajuns with a sprained right knee suffered in last week's 59-30 win over North Texas. That means McGuire could lead one of the nation's top offenses in his first collegiate start at 6 tonight against Arkansas State at Cajun Field.

"This is why I came here, to play and help us win a championship," McGuire said. "I think that's why coach (Rickey Bustle) brought me here, to help take us to the next level. It's not great circumstances. I wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 18, 2008

10. UL Football UL returns to Cajun Field to take on Arkansas State

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns are back home, finally, and a crowd of some 25,000 is possible when they host Sun Belt Conference rival Arkansas State at 6 p.m. today at Cajun Field.

Just having coach Rickey Bustle's squad in town is news. They opened the season playing five out of their first six games on the road. The fact that their record is 3-3 and 2-0 in Sun Belt Conference play adds to the anticipation.

"It's a perfect script for starting the season and being where you are right now," Bustle said. "Obviously, a lot of things can change in one Saturday, but we're in the hunt. That's what you work for all summer and all fall - you play five of six on the road and you're in the hunt. Now we get to play at home, and we're excited about that."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown • bbrown@theadvertiser.com • October 18, 2008

Default My thoughts on the rest of the year:

For what its worth, I'm going to give my thoughts on what will be a great atmosphere this weekend and ask a couple of things from the Cajun faithful.

Please understand the circumstances that surround this game. There will be a lot of fans in the stadium this weekend deciding to show their support for a team that is obviously playing well right now and is on a roll offensively. However, here are a few points that need to be mentioned.

1. We may be starting a freshman QB = While I, like many here, believe that McGuire has really nice talent, he is not Desormeaux at this stage in his career. He may be a better pure passer but this offense requires more than just a strong arm. He will lack the poise of Des and he just hasn't had a lot of time under center running the offense full time. There is a big difference between coming in for a series and having to prepare to play an entire game and adjust as it goes and Defenses preparing for you rather than the other guy.

2. Our LB corp is decimated by injury. I know that everyone out there knows this but it is important to point out that we've lost 4 potential starters or actual starters at LB from spring until now for various reasons. Now, we are forced to play players that may not be ready or 3 weeks ago were assuming they'd redshirt. Our starters now weigh 210, 225, and 215 lbs respectively. I don't think this is what anybody envisioned as our LB corp 3 weeks ago and we have some very physical offenses to play in the upcoming weeks starting tonight.

3. This team is not the same team that played McNeese last year in that debacle. They are much more focused, have gone through a great offseason to prepare physically and Desormeaux has grown as a QB not to mention the insertion of some really nice freshman talent.

The reason for this post is hopefully, with everything that has happend the past couple of weeks to this team in regards to losing personnel, that we as fans can actually re-evaluate our expectations a bit. Before the injuries, I believed this team was playing well enough to get to 8 wins. Now, I'm not thinking that. I am hoping for it and everything that 8 wins would bring like a potential bowl game and boost in recruiting. However, I have to take a step back and examine my expectations and realize that if this year turns out to be another 6 win season, should I be extremely disappointed? I don't think so.

Coach Bustle and his staff has shown an ability to make adjustments at halftime which was one of my biggest complaints about him until this season. This team, before injuries, showed a marked improvement over last year and that this unit can be a fine unit for the next several years for sure. The playcalling and overall scheme on offense and defense seemed to be much better this year allowing us to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers on offense which seemed to be lacking at times in the past.

The fact is coach Bustle's contract runs through 2011 and if we seem to have a letdown from this point out, I hope that everyone looks at this season as a whole and realizes the level of play increased tremendously. I'm hoping the enthusiasm for which I can see around the program right now remains and the fans stick with the team. I'm not throwing in the towel by any means but rather, I just want to prepare people for the fact that maybe we don't win tonight, maybe we only win 1-2 games from here on forward. Is it going to go back to a Bustle bashing session? I hope not. This team and program have come a long way this year and deserve our support and respect.

Default Re: My thoughts on the rest of the year:

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ For what its worth, I'm going to give my thoughts on what will be a great atmosphere this weekend and ask a couple of things from the Cajun faithful.

Please understand the circumstances that surround this game. There will be a lot of fans in the stadium this weekend deciding to show their support for a team that is obviously playing well right now and is on a roll offensively. However, here are a few points that need to be mentioned.

1. We may be starting a freshman QB = While I, like many here, believe that McGuire has really nice talent, he is not Desormeaux at this stage in his career. He may be a better pure passer but this offense requires more than just a strong arm. He will lack the poise of Des and he just hasn't had a lot of time under center running the offense full time. There is a big difference between coming in for a series and having to prepare to play an entire game and adjust as it goes and Defenses preparing for you rather than the other guy.

2. Our LB corp is decimated by injury. I know that everyone out there knows this but it is important to point out that we've lost 4 potential starters or actual starters at LB from spring until now for various reasons. Now, we are forced to play players that may not be ready or 3 weeks ago were assuming they'd redshirt. Our starters now weigh 210, 225, and 215 lbs respectively. I don't think this is what anybody envisioned as our LB corp 3 weeks ago and we have some very physical offenses to play in the upcoming weeks starting tonight.

3. This team is not the same team that played McNeese last year in that debacle. They are much more focused, have gone through a great offseason to prepare physically and Desormeaux has grown as a QB not to mention the insertion of some really nice freshman talent.

The reason for this post is hopefully, with everything that has happend the past couple of weeks to this team in regards to losing personnel, that we as fans can actually re-evaluate our expectations a bit. Before the injuries, I believed this team was playing well enough to get to 8 wins. Now, I'm not thinking that. I am hoping for it and everything that 8 wins would bring like a potential bowl game and boost in recruiting. However, I have to take a step back and examine my expectations and realize that if this year turns out to be another 6 win season, should I be extremely disappointed? I don't think so.

Coach Bustle and his staff has shown an ability to make adjustments at halftime which was one of my biggest complaints about him until this season. This team, before injuries, showed a marked improvement over last year and that this unit can be a fine unit for the next several years for sure. The playcalling and overall scheme on offense and defense seemed to be much better this year allowing us to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers on offense which seemed to be lacking at times in the past.

The fact is coach Bustle's contract runs through 2011 and if we seem to have a letdown from this point out, I hope that everyone looks at this season as a whole and realizes the level of play increased tremendously. I'm hoping the enthusiasm for which I can see around the program right now remains and the fans stick with the team. I'm not throwing in the towel by any means but rather, I just want to prepare people for the fact that maybe we don't win tonight, maybe we only win 1-2 games from here on forward. Is it going to go back to a Bustle bashing session? I hope not. This team and program have come a long way this year and deserve our support and respect. _
    I agree with much of what you say except the 1-2 win part. Mike D's injury is not season threatenig and the Cajuns should win at least 3 more games with this offense. Like you though I'm hoping for more!

I'm just hoping people realize that this team is going to have to win with pure offense the rest of the year. This is a lot to ask of those guys. They have little room for error. BTW, we face a tough second half of the year. We have Troy, ASU and FAU who are all really physical teams. FIU is very physical and is much better than people thought they'd be. They did beat the Toledo team by double digits at Toledo that rolled into the Big house and beat Michigan last week. UTEP is offensively very good and is going to be better than most of our conference teams if not better. That is a great challenge we face as well. I just don't want the same negativity that we heard after the USM game to be here if this team can't maintain its ways.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Put it this way. If we win today I will be extremely surprised. If we lose I will understand. If we get killed I'll be dissapointed.

Expectations are officially lowered -

Hopefully this crowd can instill confidence in our young QB and make some SERIOUS noise on defensive third downs. Who knows? We may be witnessing the blossoming of a QB and a defense tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    Put it this way. If we win today I will be extremely surprised. If we lose I will understand. If we get killed I'll be dissapointed.

Expectations are officially lowered -

Hopefully this crowd can instill confidence in our young QB and make some SERIOUS noise on defensive third downs. Who knows? We may be witnessing the blossoming of a QB and a defense tonight!
    I am worried that the majority of the crowd does not understand all that is going on, and if we lose does not show back again this season! As said by many this week, this game is not a do or die game.do most avg "Joe the Plumber" fans realize that?
    igeaux.mobi

Thread Information