Page 122 of 222 FirstFirst . 112 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 132 . LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Rivalry kindled today at ULM

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ I don't believe I fell for any "hype" concerning this game.

Players and coaches on both sides expressed interest in bringing back the trophy for this game. And you might not believe it's a "rivalry" game, but ULM is the closest thing UL currently has to a "rival" on the schedule year-in, year-out, and vice-versa.

Again, just ask the players and coaches from both sides. Their words carry this story.

Sorry you guys don't agree. _
    I judge the rivalry question by how I feel when the Cajuns lose a particular game. I feel pretty much the same when the Cajuns win, unless its a big win like tying for the championship or the recent win over Houston. Of course, I always feel bad when the Cajuns lose. However, it is especially rough when we lose to ULM, LaTech, or McNeese. I wasn't around for the old McNeese rivalry, but that recent loss to them was pure pain. In terms of how I feel after a loss, I would call each of these rivals, and rank them as follows: ULM, McNeese, LaTech. NW State doesn't seem to fit in that group. ULM moreso than the other two because of the conference. Off topic a bit, I wish we would have played McNeese again this year. Maybe get a little redemption for the seniors, plus the crowd was nice.

Track & Field When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ It's only "the fans" fault, now, if they fail to demand an improvement plan from Dr. S. You can never achieve success by blaming the customer. Know it and never forget it, or continue to lose. It is one of the laws of business physics.

First, there are always 5-10% fanship that show up win, lose or draw (God Bless them). There are another 15% that might show up on occasion and possibly in the wake of some hype. but they are fickle and leave easily. The 75% that you see filling the stands in successful programs are there only if they believe they have associated themselves with something that they can wear the emblem and not be laughed at. They are there for pure entertainment. I want all of them to participate, and it will require ratcheting up our program, starting with the leader.

There is no program on record that has badgered, belittled, begged and belittled their fanbase into anything successful. Any analysis of programs in a similar state to UL that have succeeded have done so thru excellent leadership at the top of the institution. They have operated the program like a business. The large financial backers are like banking institutions (not the recent variety, but those more responsible with their money). Bankers (fans with money) want to see a business plan ripe with investment rewards. Not BS. Not, please, please can I have the money. A plan, with management's skin on the line. They already give "fun money" to the program, for minor advertisement and local citizen guilt avoidance therapy.

We might keep rolling the same old worn out pair of dice and see some success. who knows? If we are going to actually move in the direction of sustained success, we are going to have to see some fundamental changes to the UL football program constitution. That requires initiation from the chief.

The biggest component to the new plan is a commitment to have disgusting football staff salaries available with a hook that states "instant death penalty for results unbecoming a program paying these high prices". Young, incredibly gifted and eager upstart coaches will take the opportunity and will succeed. That plan, and that plan alone will get Daddy Warbucks on the board of UL funding. Nothing else. sorry. Law of business physics trumps the wishing well every single time. _
    Customer? What customer? To be a customer, you have to believe in and purchase something.

The "customers" have not bought into this thing enough to even pay a competetive coach's salary.

I probably do not understand your post, but many UL fans sound an awful lot like a punk employee that demands a raise before he is going to put forth the effort and do what it takes to earn one.

We as fans have to step up to the plate and put forth the financial effort before we get the "raise" in level of performance from the program.not the other way around. We are the "buyers", and as such we have an important role in "business physics" as well, we pop for the cash. The "buying" generally occurs prior to the "delivering of goods".

I agree that their needs to be a plan to go along with the stepping up to the plate, but both have to occur.

Some folks seem to have selective amnesia. The new enhancements to facilities was not here when Bustle arrived, in fact they were not really here until the end of 2007 or even beginning of 2008. Fortunately the coaching staff did not stand around with their teeth in their mouth waiting for this epiphony, they have been hard at work building a solid team as us "buyer's" try to get our proverbial act together.

As far as Coach Bustle is concerned, we have been paying him a 3 win salary, he can kick back and play some golf if he gets the W next week because he will have delivered what we have compensated him for :-) If the man gets us to a bowl game, to hell with extending his "3 win" contract, double his freakin salary.

"Up and coming" is where we want to be, and by God I think we are headed there.

Default Re: Bustle Job Security.

I'd say Bustle's "hot seat" cooled down several degrees after the ULM game. Now we need a minimum of 5 more wins. Barring excessive injury, if this team can keep its focus, they have a chance.

4. Default Offense Ignites, Explodes in Triumph at ULM

Offense Ignites, Explodes in Triumph at ULM

Tyrell Fenroy set the school record for rushing yards in a single game with 297. As a team, UL posted a school-record 728 yards total offense.

MONROE - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns used big play after big play to make sure the team came out on top in its 2008 Sun Belt Conference opener Saturday at Malone Stadium.

The biggest of plays came in response to ULM trimming the lead to two points with 5:42 remaining. Tyrell Fenroy took a handoff and rolled 80 yards to pay dirt for the final score in the Cajuns 44-35 triumph.

UL (2-3, 1-0 Sun Belt) scored on six plays longer than 50 yards, but needed that one last big play to hold off the Warhawks and Fenroy was able to deliver with his third score of the contest.

Fenroy led all players with 297 yards rushing, his third straight game with at least 180 yards on the ground and his first career 200-yard outing. Fenroy broke Brian Mitchell’s school record for rushing in a single game and moved within 30 yards of overtaking Patrick Cobbs as the Sun Belt Conference’s all-time leading rusher. His career rushing total is up to 4,021 – the first player in Cajuns history to surpass 4,000 yards rushing.

Michael Desormeaux topped 100 yards rushing for the third time this season, as he ended the night with 149 yards on 10 carries.

In a night of offensive explosion for Louisiana, the Ragin’ Cajuns set the school record for team rushing yards with 556 and total offense with 728 total yards on 60 plays. It’s the second time this season (667 vs. Kent State, Sept. 20) UL breaks the school record for total offense.

The Cajuns extended their lead in the first four minutes of the second half thanks to a pair of big plays. Jason Chery raced 87 yards for a touchdown on the second play of the half and then Chery caught a 74-yard pass from Desormeaux to give UL a 27-9 lead at the 11:07 mark of the third quarter.

The Warhawks wasted no time getting back into the game, traveling 74 yards in just four plays, scoring on a three-yard run from Darrell McNeal.

The Cajuns punched back, going 78 yards in five plays, scoring on a 52-yard run by Fenroy. The key play of the drive came two plays earlier, as Desormeaux hit Richie Falgout with a 15-yard strike on third-and-nine from Cajuns 23-yard line.

UL’s defense fed off the scoring barrage, registering sacks by Lanier Coleman and Hall Davis on the next possession to force a ULM punt.

After a three-and-out by the Cajuns offense, ULM again made it a game thanks to a four-play, 74-yard scoring drive. Frank Goodin ended the 1:06 drive with a four-yard score. Radi Jabour missed the PAT to keep the Cajuns lead at 34-22 with 1:51 to play in the third quarter.

ULM grabbed the momentum after Greg James returned Desormeaux’s second interception of the game 55 yards for a touchdown. The hosts now trailed just 34-29 with 14:49 remaining in the game.

After the teams swapped defensive stops, Desormeaux broke free on a 46-yard run on third-and-nine from the Cajuns’ 41-yard line to put UL in scoring position. Edmiston tacked on three points with 7:36 remaining to up the Louisiana advantage to 37-29.

A personal foul penalty on the ensuing kickoff set up ULM at their own 45 yard line. Trey Revell and Goodin combined to rush for 55 yards over 1:54 to draw the Warhawks within two points at 5:42. Revell’s pass intended for Zeek Zacharie on the two-point conversion was incomplete.

The Ragin’ Cajuns wasted no time, as their next offensive play was the 80-yard Fenroy touchdown rush which upped the lead to 44-35 with 5:20 left to play.

Fenroy is now just 250 rushing yards from becoming the seventh player in NCAA history with four 1,000-yard seasons.

The UL defense forced a three-and-out on the first two ULM possessions of the game, but a specials team’s miscue gave the Warhawks the ball on the UL 34-yard line. Facing a fourth-and-one, ULM settled for a 42-yard field from Jabour to take a 3-0 lead at 6:48 of the opening quarter.

The Cajuns took over on their 11-yard line after a penalty on the ensuing kickoff. On the first play of the drive, Fenroy broke the longest run from scrimmage in Malone Stadium history and the second longest run in Cajuns history. His 89-yard touchdown jaunt was the longest scoring run at UL and gave the Cajuns a 6-3 lead. Drew Edmiston missed the point after.

Desormeaux’s 64-yard touchdown run put the Cajuns in front 13-3 nine seconds into the second frame. The run capped a seven-play, 95-yard scoring drive for the Cajuns in which Desormeaux was 3-for-3 passing for 20 yards, accounting for 84 yards of offense.

ULM then came back with an 11-play, 56-yard scoring drive that ended with a 19-yard field goal by Jabour at the 2:48 mark. The hosts faced a first-and-goal at the Cajuns one-yard line, but the UL defense stuffed three straight rushing plays to hold the Warhawks out of the end zone.

After a quick three-and-out by the Cajuns offense, ULM got the ball back on their 27-yard line with 1:15 to play in the first half and two timeouts. The Warhawks marched 51 yards in 10 plays, adding another Jabour field goal to cut the Cajuns lead to 13-9 at the half.

The Ragin’ Cajuns conclude their three-game road swing next Saturday as they visit Fouts Field in Denton, Texas, for a meeting with North Texas at 6 p.m. UL returns to Cajun Field on Oct. 18 for a meeting with Arkansas State at 6 p.m.

RaginCajuns.com

5. Default Ragin' Cajuns take historic step for program

It takes more than the final numbers to fully appreciate what happened here at Malone Stadium on Saturday night. Because, in truth - and you can admit it, too - none of us saw this coming after Southern Miss embarrassed UL by 30 points in the season-opener.

There aren't statistics for defining moments - just dates. So remember Oct. 4, 2008 and Cajuns 44, UL Monroe 35.

It's the night that a program on the brink arrived.

"I think it could be," said UL wrecking ball Tyrell Fenroy, who set the program record for rushing yards in a game with 297 to go along with three breathtaking TD sprints of 89, 80 and 52 yards. "Tonight, things that would hurt us in the past, the adversity, we got past that. We kept our heads up and kept playing - kept playing with heart and overcoming those things.

"I was very proud of our team. There's no way around it - this was a very big game for us."

The rest of the story

Bob Heist • bheist@theadvertiser.com • October 5, 2008
    (337) 289-6402

6. Default Battle of the Bayou a Bowling Ball Extravaganza

Battle of the Bayou Bowling Ball Extravaganza

MONROE - Tyrell Fenroy picked the perfect moment to have another career game on a record-setting night for UL.

Fenroy ran for a school-record 297 yards and tied a personal best with three rushing touchdowns as the Ragin' Cajuns powered past ULM, 44-35, on Saturday night in the Sun Belt opener for both schools.

With Fenroy leading the way, UL set program marks for rushing yards (556) and total offense (728) to open conference play in electric fashion before a crowd of 21,929 at Malone Stadium and avenge last season's 17-11 loss to the Warhawks.

"Every time I got the ball I was looking to score points and get yards," said Fenroy, who broke Brian Mitchell's record of 271 yards set against Colorado State in 1987. "This feels great."

Glance at his final numbers, and you'll know why.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 5, 2008

7. Default Taking it to the extreme

Taking it to the extreme

MONROE - The numbers are absolutely staggering. And, for the Cajuns, historic, too.

On a night when UL announced its arrival as a contender for the Sun Belt Conference title, records fell by the truckload at Malone Stadium following a 44-35 win over UL Monroe.

And the Cajuns did it with gusto.

"Whenever you play the style of defense that Monroe plays, where they crowd the box and they're going to take chances, you expect to get a few big plays out of them," UL quarterback Mike Desormeaux said. "But this? God. We got guys that can go and Tyrell (Fenroy) and Jason (Chery) did tonight."

The rest of the story

Bob Heist • bheist@theadvertiser.com • October 5, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    _ I'd say Bustle's "hot seat" cooled down several degrees after the ULM game.
    Cooled down with a Gatorade bath.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    I agree that their needs to be a plan to go along with the stepping up to the plate, but both have to occur.
    "The plan" is what gets "the fans" to step up to the plate. That is the business physics I'm talking about. You do not get more customers by getting on the intercom to the customers already in the store and tell them they suck and aren't buying enough stuff. There is a way to get them to buy more, and a way to get more people in the store. It isn't up to the lady down the street who really, really loves this store. The management is paid and has the responsibility to oversee the welfare of the store.

If part of that plan is to engage that lady up the street, then so be it. but it starts with the management. I'm tired of hearing people yell that the lady down the street needs to buy more stuff. It's pure stupidity. She is buying all she can. We need people she's never heard of to come to the store. The management knows who they are, where they are, and how to get them.

What the management has done is what we are seeing today. and if that is all that we can get, so be that. There are facts, already tabulated by other programs, that say I am 100% correct. A program's heighth and depth are proportional to the management's commitment to the program. every single stinking time.

Great win last night. I'm fired up. That always helps those already contributing and starts to get the attention of others. Can you imagine how great it is going to be when everything hits on all cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    I can't make it, but remember what happened the last time you ventured North?

You need to sit in the same area of the stadium.same seats, same sectionbring an extra wrench.maybe a screw driver.just in case a seat comes loose!
    I tried but they ran us out of those seats and we went "upstairs" where we had the honor to sit near "The Funster". It all worked out well as we got a great view of Cajun offense's rage against the yard birds (and the refs).

Best non-game observation (and maybe they post here) were two young Cajun fans who bought and ate giant turkey (maybe they warhawk) legs. I mean to say they looked like Fenroy's thighs but to their credit, those two ate all of them. It took them about the entire 4th quarter but they did it.

I'll overlook our youth and the bloody details of our most recent attempt at playing Santa Claus because of the truly monster efforts I saw by our defense and, of course, the world record Cajun offensive production. It's great to do all of that in a winning performance.

The Cajuns have undergone a serious attitude adjustment and I'll give credit to the new assistants for that in addition to the play of some incredibly talented seniors.

PS Shame on me but, damn, I wish Fenroy would have gotten that last TD. LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post

The Cajuns have undergone a serious attitude adjustment and I'll give credit to the new assistants for that in addition to the play of some incredibly talented seniors.

PS Shame on me but, damn, I wish Fenroy would have gotten that last TD. LOL!!! _
    The credit and criticism starts with Bustle. He has done an awesome job since the USM debacle.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bustle Job Security.

I recall during the '80's, there was a very wealthy fellow from Crowley or Rayne, or somewhere nearby that had made LOTS of OIL money who wanted to contribute LOTS of money to the UL football program. He also had LOTS of kids. I beleive he had either a son or grandson that was coming to UL to play and he was going to follow that up with money. But like another poster said, good ole forward thinkin' Ray A refused to take the money with such conditions. I think he started sending this money to LSU after a few more of his off spring went there. From what I am told, he is still interested in sending money to UL. Any memory of this from anyone? Is this just a vague memory that has corrupted in my mind over the years?
    Also, if we are to kick Bustle to the curb (a thought I have SLIGHTLY moved away from in the past 3 games), who are the possibilities?
    Is it still the Central Ark guy, Major Applewhite, anyone else?
    As for dollars, If someone with a bit more time on their hands would take charge of the Athletic Foundation, I would give as much as I could to it. We get a few thousand of guys like me and we could have a few million
    Don't start beating me up, I remain UL's biggest fan.OH and I still want the 3 fleur-di-lis on the helmet.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    _ I recall during the '80's, there was a very wealthy fellow from Crowley or Rayne, or somewhere nearby that had made LOTS of OIL money who wanted to contribute LOTS of money to the UL football program. He also had LOTS of kids. I beleive he had either a son or grandson that was coming to UL to play and he was going to follow that up with money. But like another poster said, good ole forward thinkin' Ray A refused to take the money with such conditions. I think he started sending this money to LSU after a few more of his off spring went there. From what I am told, he is still interested in sending money to UL. Any memory of this from anyone? Is this just a vague memory that has corrupted in my mind over the years?
    Also, if we are to kick Bustle to the curb (a thought I have SLIGHTLY moved away from in the past 3 games), who are the possibilities?
    Is it still the Central Ark guy, Major Applewhite, anyone else?
    As for dollars, If someone with a bit more time on their hands would take charge of the Athletic Foundation, I would give as much as I could to it. We get a few thousand of guys like me and we could have a few million
    Don't start beating me up, I remain UL's biggest fan.OH and I still want the 3 fleur-di-lis on the helmet. _
    I would prefer to suspend future coaching speculation. Anyone who beats on you for bringing it up just needs to take a couple deep breaths and get over it. I'm sure you are a big fan. but again, this really isn't the time in the season to discuss the future of coaching. IMO

I've heard about the person you are referring. but he is not alone. And you are definitely not alone in the Athletic Foundation situation. There are people (UL Alum) in Baton Rouge of all places that I talk to who have nothing to do with UL. I know them well and they will participate. I participate without being correctly pandered to. They will not. I still think the world of them in their careers, family life and other admirable ventures. I do not harrass them for not participating in UL endeavors. I request our leadership to investigate and figure out what it is that reconnects these people to the university. Put that plan in action and let's get on with it. I can only imagine how many dormant UL fans exist all over Acadiana, including some exceptionally wealthy individuals.

To get these people to part with their hard earned wealth is never going to involve ridiculous pleading or guilt trips. They also, sadly, do not connect in a permanent huge way when we are on a good win streak. They will reconnect when leaders put something together that they can buy into. It will have to involve some concessions of privatization. It will have to involve taking what they say "they" want to see the program do for that money. It places a burden on the admin, but the effort gets rewarded perpetually.

If done right, we could see Dr. Savoie build something so unbelievable, there will be no question as to what the hearts of Acadiana truly love.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ We are 1-2! I say keep his head on the block until the end of the season then lets see. A loss at ULM would be unthinkable. I don't want to go back to square one but after seven years? I think we deserve the New Orleans Bowl. _

Hey Petty you wanted his head in 2006, 2007 and now you are willing to wait til the end of the season to give your expert opinion. That is what I like about you Petty, you are in the wrong business, education, you should run for mayor of Mandeville cause you want us so believe whatever you said last it the truth.

Default Re: When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ Customer? What customer? To be a customer, you have to believe in and purchase something.

The "customers" have not bought into this thing enough to even pay a competetive coach's salary.

I probably do not understand your post, but many UL fans sound an awful lot like a punk employee that demands a raise before he is going to put forth the effort and do what it takes to earn one.

We as fans have to step up to the plate and put forth the financial effort before we get the "raise" in level of performance from the program.not the other way around. We are the "buyers", and as such we have an important role in "business physics" as well, we pop for the cash. The "buying" generally occurs prior to the "delivering of goods".

Some folks seem to have selective amnesia. The new enhancements to facilities was not here when Bustle arrived, in fact they were not really here until the end of 2007 or even beginning of 2008. Fortunately the coaching staff did not stand around with their teeth in their mouth waiting for this epiphony, they have been hard at work building a solid team as us "buyer's" try to get our proverbial act together.

As far as Coach Bustle is concerned, we have been paying him a 3 win salary, he can kick back and play some golf if he gets the W next week because he will have delivered what we have compensated him for :-) If the man gets us to a bowl game, to hell with extending his "3 win" contract, double his freakin salary.

"Up and coming" is where we want to be, and by God I think we are headed there. _
    At least some on this board understand the true relationship between collegiate athletics and what role the FAN really plays.

Successful programs have fans that are willing to pay for the product and the majority of UL fans who are financially capable of buying into and stepping up to the plate big time seem to want the university to foot the entire bill. That is not the formula for success in modern day athletics at any level. Hell high schools do not even function that way anymore.

Thread Information