Page 119 of 222 FirstFirst . 109 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 129 . LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Bustle Job Security.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ Answer these simple questions.

1. How long is Bustle under contract with us?
    2. If he is fired, will we have enough money to pay 2 coaches?
    3. We can not accept another coach at the "newbie" level. With that said it will take $$ to bring someone here.
    4. Again, will we have enough money to pay 2 coaches?

In my opinion, Bustle is here for a few more years (I do not know the length of his contract. 2012?). Lets put our effort in supporting this team who is showing us they have HEART. They want to win more than we do.

GEAUX CAJUNS! _

I was under the impression that this was his last year with the exception of 2 incentive years meaning if he was to have a winning season he'd get a 1 yr extension and if he won conference, he'd get a 2 yr extension

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I was under the impression that this was his last year with the exception of 2 incentive years meaning if he was to have a winning season he'd get a 1 yr extension and if he won conference, he'd get a 2 yr extension _
    As was I, I think you are correct

If a coach has job security after multiple losing seasons, then it must be accepted that the administration at his institution has decided that athletics aren't a priority in the university's mission, they're merely another necessary expense, like groundskeeping maintenance.

Although I'm admittedly an outsider, I cannot understand the "can we afford?" line of questioning. No school can afford the going rate for a quality coach, let alone the costs involved in maintaining the arms race.but, conversely, football is one of the very few areas in higher ed where the initial investment and continued commitment has the ability to turn a profit. Currently, the real question for any school is "can we afford not to perpetuate the growing expense?"

I'll have to dig through my files, but I saved a few good articles and spreadsheets from the NCAA website that broke down NCAA football profit/loses by institution. What I found fascinating weren't the huge profits made by the traditional programs, but the trend over the past 10 years for everybody else. Even some D1AA schools have started to cut losses/break even, and amazingly enough a couple actually are turning profits. The numbers defy all reason and are entirely counter-intuitive. For instance Connecticut put forth a mediocre effort for upgrade to 1A in '00.yet somehow football already out-earns a basketball program with 2NCs in the last 10 years.by a significant amount.

Furthermore, being a Troy Alum as well, I've seen how signing on for 'rent a slaughters' can finance the entire athletics dept. If UL merely dropped the McNeese State game and the annual MAC matchup, they could earn $600K-$1mil/game signing on for another school's open dates. Without even batting an eyelash, the athletics dept has another $1-1.5 mil to upgrade their staff.

Look at UNC, that program was terrible for a long time, and still has substandard facilities.Paying Butch Davis $2.1mil/yr has quickly changed from a perception of gross fiscal responsibility, to that of an astute investment in less than 2 years.

4. UL Football Rivalry kindled today at ULM

Tucked away atop a filing cabinet in the front office of ULM's Malone Stadium sits a boot-shaped trophy known to few. In 2002, the trophy was created for the UL-ULM football game, which was named "The Battle on the Bayou" that year in an attempt to spark interest for the in-state contest.

The Warhawks beat the Ragin' Cajuns that season, 34-10, at Malone Stadium. It marked the end of a 3-9 campaign for both teams.

A plate with the date and score was added to the trophy for that game. There was space for the addition of future dates and scores.

But the trophy never left Monroe.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • October 4, 2008

OK I found the it in a previous post "LAFAYETTE – University of Louisiana at Lafayette head football coach Rickey Bustle has agreed to a two-year contract extension, keeping him on the sideline through the 2010 season, ."

Also, if I am not mistaken he has options for automatic extensions. I can not recall exactly what they are. Possibly winning the Sun Belt and a bowl game. 1 year for each accomplishment.

If we win the Sun Belt, will this be a topic of discussion? I am sure it still will be .

Again, I say we focus on what we have good on the field right now. A group of guys who truly want to win and who put forth 110% on the field each game.

Default Re: Rivalry kindled today at ULM

This is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Do I want the Cajuns to win it? Absolutely, just like the other 8 games left on the schedule. But, it's no "rivalry game" to me.

Default Re: Rivalry kindled today at ULM

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ This is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Do I want the Cajuns to win it? Absolutely, just like the other 8 games left on the schedule. But, it's no "rivalry game" to me.

_
    I agree. This should be stepping block #1 to a Sun Belt Title.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    If a coach has job security after multiple losing seasons, then it must be accepted that the administration at his institution has decided that athletics aren't a priority in the university's mission, they're merely another necessary expense, like groundskeeping maintenance.

Although I'm admittedly an outsider, I cannot understand the "can we afford?" line of questioning. No school can afford the going rate for a quality coach, let alone the costs involved in maintaining the arms race.but, conversely, football is one of the very few areas in higher ed where the initial investment and continued commitment has the ability to turn a profit. Currently, the real question for any school is "can we afford not to perpetuate the growing expense?"

I'll have to dig through my files, but I saved a few good articles and spreadsheets from the NCAA website that broke down NCAA football profit/loses by institution. What I found fascinating weren't the huge profits made by the traditional programs, but the trend over the past 10 years for everybody else. Even some D1AA schools have started to cut losses/break even, and amazingly enough a couple actually are turning profits. The numbers defy all reason and are entirely counter-intuitive. For instance Connecticut put forth a mediocre effort for upgrade to 1A in '00.yet somehow football already out-earns a basketball program with 2NCs in the last 10 years.by a significant amount.

Furthermore, being a Troy Alum as well, I've seen how signing on for 'rent a slaughters' can finance the entire athletics dept. If UL merely dropped the McNeese State game and the annual MAC matchup, they could earn $600K-$1mil/game signing on for another school's open dates. Without even batting an eyelash, the athletics dept has another $1-1.5 mil to upgrade their staff.

Look at UNC, that program was terrible for a long time, and still has substandard facilities.Paying Butch Davis $2.1mil/yr has quickly changed from a perception of gross fiscal responsibility, to that of an astute investment in less than 2 years.

Hey, thanks for the information on UNC. I didn't know that about them.

_ Hey, thanks for the information on UNC. I didn't know that about them. _
    Us LSU guys are nothing if not helpful.

If you going to the game, have a fun and safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    Us LSU guys are nothing if not helpful.

If you going to the game, have a fun and safe trip.
    Con men abide.

I'll be heading out soon. I snuck out early yesterday PM in order to get the weekly golf round out of the way. No way I make the usual time and day this week end. LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ If a coach has job security after multiple losing seasons, then it must be accepted that the administration at his institution has decided that athletics aren't a priority in the university's mission, they're merely another necessary expense, like groundskeeping maintenance.

Look at UNC, that program was terrible for a long time, and still has substandard facilities.Paying Butch Davis $2.1mil/yr has quickly changed from a perception of gross fiscal responsibility, to that of an astute investment in less than 2 years. _

What you don't understand is that we don't have the athletic budget of a UNC who can go out and do this. Just a couple of years ago, our entire athletic budget was 7 million dollars. We had the next to lowest athletic budget in all of D-1 programs. Where do you expect these dollars to come from? We are in the process of instituting the RCAF but last I heard, it wasn't official yet. Dr. A had driven away many of the people who did want to donate private dollars because he didn't want to allow them to dictate where those dollars went. We would love to insititute a student fee that would help with funding but first, that must be passed through the state university system and must be voted on by the students. We are open to your wisdom on how we can raise dollars through the university system but until then, we are hamstring with a less than adequate budget.

A budget that does not allow us to pay coaches whatever we like. Do I wish we could offer a head coach 700k? Absolutely. Until we are allowed to do so, we have to be able to "afford" a coach and his assistants he brings in.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ OK I found the it in a previous post "LAFAYETTE – University of Louisiana at Lafayette head football coach Rickey Bustle has agreed to a two-year contract extension, keeping him on the sideline through the 2010 season, ."

Also, if I am not mistaken he has options for automatic extensions. I can not recall exactly what they are. Possibly winning the Sun Belt and a bowl game. 1 year for each accomplishment.

If we win the Sun Belt, will this be a topic of discussion? I am sure it still will be .

Again, I say we focus on what we have good on the field right now. A group of guys who truly want to win and who put forth 110% on the field each game. _

Yes, but I think that extension is incentive based. Meaning, if he doesn't have a winning season this year or win conference which would also mean a winning season, he doesn't get the extension. The best person to answer this officially would be Jay Walker if you email him.

_ Us LSU guys are nothing if not helpful.

If you going to the game, have a fun and safe trip. _

If we could only get you LSU guys to launder a little bit of your budget to us!!! I promise I won't tell.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Us LSU guys are nothing if not helpful.

If you going to the game, have a fun and safe trip. _
    LOL!! I find something very, very humorous about that statement! Can't quite pinpoint it.I'll let you know when I do!

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Con men abide.

I'll be heading out soon. I snuck out early yesterday PM in order to get the weekly golf round out of the way. No way I make the usual time and day this week end. LOL!!! _
    I can't make it, but remember what happened the last time you ventured North?

You need to sit in the same area of the stadium.same seats, same sectionbring an extra wrench.maybe a screw driver.just in case a seat comes loose!

Thread Information