Page 114 of 222 FirstFirst . 104 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 124 . LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: Dude, no way!

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    SBC is loving hard on that arkansas state team, are they really that good?

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArt.ATCLID=1587411
    This is the 3rd year in a row A-State has started out strong. They have the SBC's top non-conference win this season.

.but, if we can enter our game, at home, with A-State, with wins at ULM and UNT under our belt, Cajun Field will be packed and A-State will go down.

Default Re: For The Love of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    _ In order for that to happen we need to take care of our own backyard first. Changing names of organizations runs the risk of angering many people. To suggest that we do this in order to appeal to people who already pull for their home team, be it La Tech, ULM or any other school is just crazy. We can be The University of Louisiana and still keep true to our cultural herritage. Anything else is just a p!$$!ng contest over trivial matters. _
    Which usually results, no matter the subject, when opposing views collide. It lengthens in to "adnauseum"!!

I agree with Cajunbander, I like Turbine's suggestion of Louisiana's Pride of Acadiana. When the band played in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in 2005 all of the announcers said Pride of Acadiana. This is the only time I can think of where that was said on a national scale.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunsjmt View Post
    _ I agree with Cajunbander, I like Turbine's suggestion of Louisiana's Pride of Acadiana. When the band played in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in 2005 all of the announcers said Pride of Acadiana. This is the only time I can think of where that was said on a national scale. _

When was the band called the Ragin Band from Cajun Land? It wasn't always called the Pride of Acadiana. The name of the band should reflect the university. We are the University of Louisiana not Acadiana. We are trying to get away from the regional connection to either Southwest Louisiana or Acadiana. We are all proud to be living (or to have lived) in the Acadiana and Lafayette area. We don't want the Lafayette connected to UL, yet we live in Lafayette. Why would we want the Acadiana connected to us? We are supposed to be the University of Louisiana, representative of the whole state of Louisiana. Otherwise, why not call us Louisiana Lafayette, it is where we are located. Let's not continue to further regionalize UL with the Acadiana band reference. It makes no sense to continue something that we have fought so hard to rid ourselves of.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ As a member of the Pride of ACADIANA from 1972 to 1976 the only thing I have to say is OBVIOUSLY, those that were not in the Pride of ACADIANA just don't get it. The Pride of ACADIANA has been a TRADITION for as long as I can remember.

There have been so many threads on this board moaning the fact that we have no traditions. How can we have any traditions when everybody wants to change things around. _
    Yep. I usually avoid having such finite views about anything, but it's pretty clear that, in regards to the Pride of Acadiana, you either get it or you don't.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: For The Love of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _ I sent a message to BT on Facebook about making the Alma Mater more prevalent after the game. I'll let y'all know what he says when I get back from work tonight!

I think we need to keep the Alma Mater like it is. You can change the words to a fight song, but you don't change the words to an alma mater. It transcends everything. The "Southwestern" goes back to 1900, when we were the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute. Of the few traditions we have, this is a major one. We don't want to go changing our traditions around do we? Our Alma Mater, with "Southwestern" included, reminds us of where we started, and everything our school's gone through to make it the outstanding University it is today. I, for one, will be singing of my ".beloved old Southwestern!" until the day I die, no matter if the lyrics change or not. Yes, I want us to be the University of Louisiana, I am 100% behind this, and I hope that one day that'll become a reality, but the Alma Mater is one thing I don't want to change at all.

The same holds true for the PoA. We have always been the Pride of Acadiana. This is one tradition I think needs to be held onto as well. We are becoming a nationally know university, (Slowly, but surely its happening.) and I am very proud of that! We also need to know our roots though, and announcing us as the Pride of Acadiana reminds us that we're right here in the middle of the best place on the face of the Earth, Acadiana, Cajun Country, Sportsmans' Paradise! That's something we need to hold on to. I'll never forget my former, current and future years in the PoA! And when I'm old, and I'm sitting in the stands watching the Cajuns play, I'll still get chills when I hear 'Pride of Acadiana!" _
    WOW. "Out of the mouths of babes." CB, your wisdom in this issue is well beyond your years!! People on this board have been fighting for the name change for SO long (I was in school when it first came up in 1984), that people tend to lose sight of the little things that have given our University its identity, like its TRADITIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ This is the 3rd year in a row A-State has started out strong. They have the SBC's top non-conference win this season.

.but, if we can enter our game, at home, with A-State, with wins at ULM and UNT under our belt, Cajun Field will be packed and A-State will go down. _

Its too early to start getting me this excited! Calm down. You are right though, it could be a crowd close to sellout if that happens. Imagine what would happen if we pulled off the upset this weekend and then won NT and ULM? I can only imagine what the atmosphere would be like.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Its too early to start getting me this excited! Calm down. You are right though, it could be a crowd close to sellout if that happens. Imagine what would happen if we pulled off the upset this weekend and then won NT and ULM? I can only imagine what the atmosphere would be like. _
    Setting yourself up for a major let down. Dont do that to yourself. Expect the worst. Its helped me survive the last 12 years.

Z

9. Default Re: Dude, no way!

hEY z MAYBE WE CAN MARKET THE IDEA----i find it has helped me also---hey but ain't it great when we win???????

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ WOW. "Out of the mouths of babes." CB, your wisdom in this issue is well beyond your years!! People on this board have been fighting for the name change for SO long (I was in school when it first came up in 1984), that people tend to lose sight of the little things that have given our University its identity, like its TRADITIONS!!! _
    Actually, it started earlier than that. 1984 was when, for a brief time, we officially attained the name "University of Louisiana" (w/o the city tag). I got my first degree in 1982 and I remember serious discussions back then. I first started at UL in 1973 and recall some limited discussions in the mid-70's about a name change because the "Southwestern" was so limiting. The interest really grew between the mid-70's and early 80's.

11. UL Football Cajuns set for 'money game'

As budgets for the big boys in the NCAA continue to grow, so have the payouts for "guarantee" football games.

But a win is far from guaranteed for schools from the six conferences with an automatic BCS berth, who regularly give out six-figure checks for home games against programs further down the food chain.

Just look at the Sun Belt Conference.

This season alone, Arkansas State has upset Texas A&M and Middle Tennessee has knocked off Maryland. ULM stunned Alabama, Troy shocked Oklahoma State and Florida Atlantic edged Minnesota last season.

Perhaps the most memorable example: Appalachian State's win over Michigan last season in Ann Arbor.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • September 27, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Setting yourself up for a major let down. Dont do that to yourself. Expect the worst. Its helped me survive the last 12 years.

Z _

That's why I say "imagine". I'm not setting myself up for anything. I just want a good showing with no injuries.

13. UL Football UL Offense is Ready for Conference

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns continue to play well, unfortunately it did not translate into a win on Saturday afternoon, as UL fell 45-37 at Kansas State.

The Cajuns had some chances, and held the ball in the final minute, but were unable to pull off the victory.

Trailing by 18 points at the half, UL made it a game with the first two plays of the third quarter. Lanier Coleman forced a fumble that was recovered by Antwyne Zanders at the Kansas State 27-yard line. On the very next play, wide receiver Richie Falgout took the handoff and ran to the right, but stopped to throw a perfect pass to a wide open Jason Chery for a touchdown. The Cajuns cut their deficit to 28-17 with 14:42 left in the third quarter.

Kansas State came back with a 12-play, 85-yard scoring drive to get their 18-point lead back.

The Cajuns answered with a 15-play, 86-yard scoring drive in 6:27. Michael Desormeaux was injured during the drive, but Brad McGuire came in to lead the team down the field. Desormeaux returned on fourth-and-goal from the one-yard line and took the quarterback sneak into the end zone. Drew Edmiston’s extra point hit the left upright, keeping the score 35-23 in favor of Kansas State.

The hosts needed four plays to extend their lead to 42-23. A 53-yard strike from Josh Freeman to Brandon Banks finished the 82-yard drive.

UL needed four plays to tack on seven more points. Desormeaux hit Pierre Hill for 10 yards on third-and-nine and then Tyrell Fenroy tied a career long with a 69-yard touchdown rush.

The Cajuns entered the fourth quarter trailing, 42-30, but immediately after a defensive stand moved the ball 83 yards in 12 plays, scoring on a one-yard run by Fenroy. The Wildcats lead was just 42-37 with 8:49 remaining.

KSU built their lead to seven following a 26-yard field goal with 1:37 remaining. The kick capped a 17-play, 73-yard drive that consumed 7:12. The Wildcats converted three third downs on the drive and a fourth-and-two on a fake punt. The biggest play came early in the drive, as KSU was awarded a first down after a third-and-10 pass fell incomplete, but the Cajuns were flagged for pass interference.

Fenroy had his second monster game in a row. The senior totaled 183 yards rushing on 20 carries and scored three touchdowns for the second straight week. Over the past two weeks, Fenroy has 43 carries for 377 yards and six scores.

Desormeaux, who took a physical pounding all game, finished with 98 yards rushing and 136 yards passing. He did not commit a turnover.

UL gained 509 yards of offense, 335 of which came via the running game. KSU totaled 470 yards of offense.

The Cajuns took the game’s opening drive 80 yards in 14 plays en route to a 22-yard field goal by Edmiston. It appeared as if the Cajuns had scored on a four-yard pass from Desormeaux to Eric Jones, but the pass was ruled incomplete. There was not a booth review or coach’s challenge, so UL took Edmiston’s kick to grab the early lead after an incomplete pass on third down.

Kansas State took the lead with a short 46-yard scoring drive, aided by a 15-yard personal foul penalty against the Cajuns. Freeman hit Deon Murphy with a 12-yard strike to put the hosts in front 7-3 with 3:55 remaining in the first quarter.

KSU added to their lead with two quick six-play scoring drives in a span of 3:11 in the second quarter.

The first drive spanned 81 yards and started with a big 28-yard run by Lamark Brown. Three long completions preceded a seven-yard touchdown run from Freeman.

The second drive spanned only 34 yards after the Cajuns were forced to punt from their own end zone. Freeman scored on a 15-yard run to put KSU in front 21-3 with 10:32 remaining in the second quarter.

Freeman hit Murphy in the end zone for the second time in the game to cap the Wildcats’ 21-point second quarter, helping KSU to a 28-3 lead with only 3:43 left in the first half. The scoring drive spanned 10 plays and 73 yards, covering 3:52.

The Cajuns responded with their longest drive of the season to trim the KSU lead to 28-10 at the break. UL mounted a 10-play, 90-yard drive in only three minutes, culminating in a 15-yard touchdown run by Fenroy.

The Cajuns converted on third down twice during the drive, both coming via long runs from Fenroy. Desormeaux was 3-of-5 passing on the drive for 32 yards and added two runs for 16 yards.

RaginCajuns.com

14. UL Football Money's worth: Cajuns nearly shock Wildcats

MANHATTAN, Kan. - For the second time this season, UL put a scare into a major BCS conference opponent on the road.

Two weeks after losing by three points at Illinois, the Ragin' Cajuns ultimately fell one drive short again, this time in Saturday's bitter 45-37 loss to Kansas State.

UL, which trailed 28-3 late in the first half, rallied to make it a one-possession game in the fourth quarter and got the ball back with 1:37 left. But quarterback Mike Desormeaux's pass to Ladarius Green on fourth down fell incomplete with no time left on the clock.

"The big thing that makes this emotional for us is that we feel we didn't play four quarters of football," said UL defensive tackle Lanier Coleman. "We feel like we came out and only played two quarters.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • September 27, 2008

15. UL Football Risky play leads to K-State win over Louisiana

MANHATTAN — Tysyn Hartman knew it almost immediately.

With Kansas State trying to hang on to a five-point lead midway through the fourth quarter, and with the Wildcats facing a fourth-and-2 at their own 42-yard line, Louisiana gave them a look that all but dared them to take a gamble.

Deon Murphy said he and the Kansas State offense were surprised by the impromptu fake punt call. The fake punt helped seal the game for the Wildcats.

"We were punting the whole way, but they gave us a favorable look to run the fake," said Hartman, following K-State's 45-37 victory over the Ragin' Cajuns. "We had more people to block than they had to defend."

The rest of the story

By Jeffrey Rake
    The Capital-Journal

Thread Information