Page 107 of 222 FirstFirst . 97 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 117 . LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3319

Thread: The Book 2008 Football

Default Re: For The Love of Pete.

Can ya'll talk to Gerald Guilbeau and ask him to say the University of Louisiana. I noticed that during the performance he kept saying the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Pride of Acadiana.

2. Default Re: For The Love of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    Not your imagination. I made a comment to some other former marchers last night that even though the numbers are down a bit, I do like the new proportions of brass to woodwinds.

Could use a few more newer charts for the band though. Something the kids could enjoy.

Two words: Immigrant Song

You know what I'm sayin'

Louisiana Re: Kent St. Synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ This game was impressive for several reasons.

Offensive Play

Passing downfield off of run fakes proved to be very deadly. Wonderful play calling.

Green and Hill are going to be better than we hoped.

Desmo showed great poise passing the football for the second straight week.

As long as Desmo and Fenroy remain healthy, the rushing attack will again be one of the best in the country.

Only problem may be the lack of a capable sub to give Fenroy a break.

Defensive Play

Aside from the 80 yard bomb late in the game, the defense performed at the level needed to win this conference, for the second straight week.

3 SACKS, swarming to the ball, bone-jarring hits. I can't tell you how nice it is to see a Cajun defense play with an attitude.

Dean is going to be a good one.

Atmosphere

Things are coming together. From game management, to the new field, to the clean stadium, to the fired-up fans, this was one of the most enjoyable gametime experiences I've had in Cajun Field in a long time.

If we in fact do turn the corner this season with the program, people will point to this game as the turning point. _
    I totally agree. Just to add my two cents.Just as we've said all along, if you can throw down field, even every once in a while, it does wonders to open up the running game. If MD can have a repeat performance like that each week and the defense can play as well, we've got the potential to have an interesting rest of the season. Overall, I thought Sat. nite was a great effort. That being said, we've got to continue to build on each previous week. Next week will be a true test to see just how far we've come.

Great job guys!!!!!! GEAUX Cajuns!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunsjmt View Post
    _ Can ya'll talk to Gerald Guilbeau and ask him to say the University of Louisiana. I noticed that during the performance he kept saying the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Pride of Acadiana. _
    Actually he has been referring to us as such since the name change as far as I can remember.

Default Re: Kent St. Synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns4me View Post
    _ I totally agree. Just to add my two cents.Just as we've said all along, if you can throw down field, even every once in a while, it does wonders to open up the running game. If MD can have a repeat performance like that each week and the defense can play as well, we've got the potential to have an interesting rest of the season. Overall, I thought Sat. nite was a great effort. That being said, we've got to continue to build on each previous week. Next week will be a true test to see just how far we've come.

Great job guys!!!!!! GEAUX Cajuns!!!!!!!!!!! _
    Mike could always throw the ball. The problem was not his ability but with the play calling last year and the previous year as well with Babb. We never tried to stretch the field at all and it allowed teams to crowd the line of scrimmage. This year Hudson and Munoz are doing a great job of using all areas of the field with the passing game as well as the run.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: For The Love of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _ Thanks! I'm not real sure about the size and the ratio from last year, I had to sit out. We of course got rained out of the Ragin' March, and while gathered in the Moncla Pratice Facility, we were discussing different options of what to do. We all got soaked, we didn't have a chance to get into our ponchos or get into the building before we got drenched. So we weren't really in the best of moods. We almost didn't go at all. Then we were thinking about going and not marching (this is at least what I wanted to do. Football games without bands in the stands suck), but we eventually decided to go all out 100%. If we looked good Sat night, then we should look really good next time. I doubt many people brought their "A game" because of the situation.

Hopefully we'll keep getting better now that Dr. Gerald Waguespack is there. BT more or less handles our marching and our shows and how we look, and he can focus more on that now. Dr. Wag pretty much takes care of teaching us the music, and he can focus on that and make us sound better. I think we have the possibility of becoming an even better band now that we don't have one director stretched out doing everything. I'm glad Doc came to the PoA, I think anybody that went to Acadiana and played under him remembers how he is and I'm glad I got a second chance to learn from him. I think he can be a real asset to the PoA.

I think you'd be surprised. I'm not necessarily the exception to the rule on this. A lot of my friends, and other current students have really started to take deep pride in the university. I think that the trials and tribulations that we have to go through with LSU A&M has strengthened our ties and love of UL.

I think that this subject of "oppression" if you will from LSU A&M is starting to reach a boiling point. There's a growing contingent of students that are taking a deep pride in UL and what our University stands for. More people are learning about how the system in Louisiana not only keeps down UL, but every other school thats not LSU in the state. People are starting to realize that UL is THE BEST school in the STATE of Louisiana academically. No, we may not have a great football team. We do however, have a pretty damn good baseball team, our softball team went to the college world series last year, our basketball team is pretty decent, and on and on. We also know that we have a brand new president that is listening to students, hearing what WE have to say about what WE want with OUR school.

This is the University of Louisiana! This isn't the University of Louisiana at Lafayette if LSU is Cool With That. We have a president that is saying yes, we're a damn good school, and its time to put ourselves out there as a damn good school. I love how we're cleaning our buildings, replacing sidewalks and making our campus look good again. When visitors step into Cajun Field, they'll now say, "Yeah, this is a college football stadium." instead of, "This looks like a really nice high school football field." We look like we know what were doing. Our football team had that fire and passion, the true Ragin' Cajun spirit Saturday night at the game and I hope we carry that throughout the rest of our season and kick ass!

After I graduate (whenever that may be), i'll go into a job interview with a degree in Criminal Justice from The University of Louisiana! And I will be damn proud of it.

Whew, now I have to pass out for a couple of hours before I go to class at 8! _
    please keep the passion! we must stand ever vigilant against the philistines. also, be prepared. at times, even some militancy is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover2 View Post
    _ Two words: Immigrant Song

You know what I'm sayin' _
    Love the Zep, but that is hardly "new charts".

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Love the Zep, but that is hardly "new charts". _
    F that.I'll take that tune any day.

Would be great 10 sec tune after a sack

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _

I think you'd be surprised. I'm not necessarily the exception to the rule on this. A lot of my friends, and other current students have really started to take deep pride in the university. I think that the trials and tribulations that we have to go through with LSU A&M has strengthened our ties and love of UL.

I think that this subject of "oppression" if you will from LSU A&M is starting to reach a boiling point. There's a growing contingent of students that are taking a deep pride in UL and what our University stands for. More people are learning about how the system in Louisiana not only keeps down UL, but every other school thats not LSU in the state. People are starting to realize that UL is THE BEST school in the STATE of Louisiana academically. No, we may not have a great football team. We do however, have a pretty damn good baseball team, our softball team went to the college world series last year, our basketball team is pretty decent, and on and on. We also know that we have a brand new president that is listening to students, hearing what WE have to say about what WE want with OUR school.

This is the University of Louisiana! This isn't the University of Louisiana at Lafayette if LSU is Cool With That. We have a president that is saying yes, we're a damn good school, and its time to put ourselves out there as a damn good school. I love how we're cleaning our buildings, replacing sidewalks and making our campus look good again. When visitors step into Cajun Field, they'll now say, "Yeah, this is a college football stadium." instead of, "This looks like a really nice high school football field." We look like we know what were doing. Our football team had that fire and passion, the true Ragin' Cajun spirit Saturday night at the game and I hope we carry that throughout the rest of our season and kick ass!

After I graduate (whenever that may be), i'll go into a job interview with a degree in Criminal Justice from The University of Louisiana! And I will be damn proud of it.

Whew, now I have to pass out for a couple of hours before I go to class at 8! _

After 6 years of being outnumbered at NVHS and fighting the good fight, it feels so great to be among real cajun fans. At the game Saturday, when the LSU score was anounced that they were losing, 90% of the students around me were cheering their heads off. I think the student population is really starting to back their school and thinking of UL as #1 in everything. I love seeing people at school giving other people grief when they decide to wear LSU@BR gear. Students are starting to hear about what happened in the past, and what is going on in government now, and how it hasnt always been a fair fight, but now with a new president and new ideas and a new attitued, the students' attitudes are starting to change too. Finally the student body is getting a good bit of PRIDE!!!!

I've been going to games for 18 years, as long as I've been on this earth, and the game Sat was the most fun i've ever had. Cant wait to go up to ULM, after we take care of K-State!!!

10. Ragin' Cajuns Re: For The Love of Pete.

We got some new songs today. Nothing really new and new, but we got a couple funk songs, we got Time Warp from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I'm excited that we got The Hand That Feeds by NIN, something pretty contemporary!

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    _ F that.I'll take that tune any day.

Would be great 10 sec tune after a sack _
    I'm not disagreeing. I think it would be a great one. Just saying I'm not sure that it would constitute a "new" chart. I guess new in the sense that it hasn't been used by our band before. Just that the song is, well I was playing it when I was in college. And that was a few decades ago! BTW, my son is a Zep freak. I just brought him (on Sat.) a new book on the beginnings of the band which he had ordered. He is a freshman at UL.

12. UL Football UL Looking to Build Momenutm

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns football team picked up win No. 1 of the 2008 season last Saturday defeating Kent State 44-27 in the 8th Annual Herbert Heymann Football Classic at Cajun Field.

The Ragin’ Cajuns (1-2) now turn their sights toward a three-game road trip which begins Saturday, Sept. 27 in Manhattan, Kan., at Bill Synder Family Stadium against Kansas State (2-1). Kickoff is scheduled for 2:35 p.m.

Louisiana visits KSU for the second time under head coach Rickey Bustle. In the 2004 season, the Wildcats topped Bustle’s Cajuns 40-20.

UL enters Saturday’s game coming off the best offensive showing in school history. The Ragin’ Cajuns piled up a school record 667 yards of total offense on Kent State. Leading the way were seniors Michael Desormeaux and Tyrell Fenroy. Desormeaux threw for a career-high 253 yards and rushed for 150 on 17 carries. Fenroy rushed for a career-high 194 yards on 23 carries and added a career-high 68 receiving yards.

The UL offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage helping the rushing attack grind out 414 yards. For the second time this season the offensive line did not allow a sack.

The defense posted 10 tackles-for-loss and three sacks. On special teams Orkeys Auriene turned in a 64-yard punt return – the longest by a Cajuns player since Nick Dugas in 2002.

The Cajuns coaching staff announced their weekly awards on Monday. The Offensive Player of the Game award went to the entire offense.

Defensive Player of the Week honors went to Dwight Bentley, Gerren Blount, Orkeys Auriene and Derik Keyes. Blount led the team with six tackles (5 solo), Auriene had two tackles for loss, Keyes posted two pass breakups and Bentley posted three tackles.

Special Forces Player of the Game honors went to the kickoff coverage unit.

RaginCajuns.com

13. UL Football Living large: UL offense showing big-play capability

At last week's media luncheon for UL's football team, senior tight end Erik Jones insisted that the Ragin' Cajuns were at their best when they milked the clock with their power running game.

His teammates proved him wrong in record-setting fashion with Saturday's 44-27 win over Kent State at Cajun Field.

The Cajuns shattered a school record with 667 yards, including 414 on the ground, behind a flurry of big gains. They logged 12 offensive plays covering at least 15 yards - two more than the team had this season in its previous two games.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott • jparrott@theadvertiser.com • September 23, 2008

14. Default Re: For The Love of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Love the Zep, but that is hardly "new charts".
    Does the PoA already play this chart? "New" merely refers to a chart not currently played by the band, not the chart's age.

Plus there's nothing but crap on the radio nowadays

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Kent St. Synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ This game was impressive for several reasons.

Offensive Play

Passing downfield off of run fakes proved to be very deadly. Wonderful play calling.

Green and Hill are going to be better than we hoped.

Desmo showed great poise passing the football for the second straight week.

As long as Desmo and Fenroy remain healthy, the rushing attack will again be one of the best in the country.

Only problem may be the lack of a capable sub to give Fenroy a break.

Defensive Play

Aside from the 80 yard bomb late in the game, the defense performed at the level needed to win this conference, for the second straight week.

3 SACKS, swarming to the ball, bone-jarring hits. I can't tell you how nice it is to see a Cajun defense play with an attitude.

Dean is going to be a good one.

Atmosphere

Things are coming together. From game management, to the new field, to the clean stadium, to the fired-up fans, this was one of the most enjoyable gametime experiences I've had in Cajun Field in a long time.

If we in fact do turn the corner this season with the program, people will point to this game as the turning point. _
    I guess I'll offer my opinions.

I thought the 1st Quarter sucked. I was pretty ____ed after that Desmo fumble.I think I was like a lot of people who said "Oh Crap, here we go again." It set them up for that first TD, which can't be blamed on the Defense. I also wasn't very happy after the following drive (I think it was the second one) when we had 1st and 10 from the fifteen, and ran the ball 7 straight times, and had to kick the FG. We ended up getting a 1st down and had 1st and Goal from the 5 yd line or so. I turned to a buddy and said "We're going to run three times, get stopped and have to settle for the FG." I was right, and if my drunk ass knows exactly what you're going to do, then you know that the opposing coaches, who have been breaking down your film all week, knows what you're going to do. I talked to a former player at Halftime and he was none to pleased about that play calling either. In my opinion, we had moved the ball down the field quickly and could have easily run Green into the endzone and let him jump for it. That being said, I was much more pleased with the play calling the rest of the game, and I thought that they really diversified.

I was yelling for them to throw it to Green the whole first half, and didn't like that the first time they threw it to him was on a 1-yd route to the sideline. They need to get that guy downfield on every play. I don't think he's the kind of guy that can catch the ball on little out routes or screens or whatever, and then make people miss. He's the type of guy that will give team's problems before the ball is thrown, not after, and was really excited that Des hooked up with him on that long pass play. Even if the coverage hadn't been blown, he still would have likely made that play because of his size advantage. He might not have scored if he was covered, but I'm still confident he would have caught the ball for the big gain.

Like many others, I was very pleased with Pierre Hill's play. He made some really nice moves. I didn't notice where he dropped any passes, and he seems like he can be a go-to guy for this offense. It's great that he and Green are Freshmen. And if you add Kelley to that mix next year, along with our other guys (Lee, Falgout, etc), our next QB will definitely have some experienced, athletic, play-making options to help him along.

Defense and Special Teams were Bad to the Bone. I loved the intensity that they played with, they flew to the ball all game long, and they were lighting up the Kent St players. That play on a Kickoff where Keys hit that blocker into the runner was amazing. they might have made a few mistakes, but it seems like they have gotten to a point where they have developed a short memory and forget about them. Last year, it seemed like they tried NOT to make mistakes, which resulted in some poor play. In these last two games, they just move on and look for someone else to hit.

Like Hammer eluded to in another thread, I'm not ready to start making plans for a bowl game. I guess that part of being a Cajun fan has you waiting for the other shoe to drop. While I've been critical of Bustle, and while I still don't have a whole lot of confidence in him or the staff (and honestly, after the last season and a half, he hasn't done anything to deserve my vote), the last two games have me feeling a lot better about the situation. But I'm not going to forget that we beat an average team with a one dimensional offense, without their great RB, and with a poor defense. To me, the K-State game on Saturday will be a better barometer of where we are as a team. In the Big Picture, it's not necessarilly a must win, but another moral victory won't exactly get me too excited either. And a blow-out would lead me to believe that we still aren't where we want to be as a program. Some of you might not agree with that, but if we want this program to be what we want it to be, if we want the respect we desire, if we want to be one of the best in the SBC, then we MUST beat these teams. Mid-Major programs play up to their BCS opponents all the time and register Moral victories, but that doesn't mean that they're good programs. And then after K-State, I will be very interested in seeing how we play on the road against two SBC rivals. Again, just like we said last week, beating or getting a moral victory against a BCS opponent doesn't mean anything if you fall on your face the next week. I want to see how they perform against the rest of the SBC when they don't have the excitement of playing at a BCS stadium with a chance to register a big win, or when they don't have the excitement of playing in front of the big crowd for the first home game of the year. If they come back home with a good record in the next three games, then I'll believe that we've got something special here.

Thread Information