Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Book 2008-09 UL Lady Cajuns Volleyball

1. UL Volleyball Lady Cajuns Double Up Against Arkansas

UL – Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns volleyball team takes on the state of Arkansas this weekend, with visits from Sun Belt Conference foes Arkansas State on Friday at 7 p.m. and UALR on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Cajuns are coming off a 3-1 win over in-state rival ULM on Tuesday, their third win in the last five matches. This weekend’s events kick off a three-game home stretch, the season’s longest, which ends with a Tuesday, Oct. 21, tilt against I-10 rival New Orleans.

Louisiana enters the weekend at 6-11 overall, with a mark of 3-4 in Sun Belt play.

Seniors Elizabeth Inman and Sonora Edwards split the team’s hitting title, with Inman leading in kills per set at 1.98, and Edwards hitting for the highest percentage at .237. Edwards put 10 kills on the floor at ULM on .348 hitting, while Inman put down 12 kills, and boasts a three-game double-digit kills streak (18 vs. South Alabama, 13 vs. Troy and 12 vs. ULM) going into the weekend.

Sophomore libero Lindsay Brown has posted at least 20 digs in each of the last three matches to lead the defense, and stands at fifth in the Sun Belt with 3.85 digs per set. In Sun Belt action, the Cajuns have held opponents to a conference-leading .143 hitting percentage. Louisiana has held four of its last five opponents to hitting percentages below .100.

“Coach (George) Hagemaster is a really good defensive coach,” Inman said. “He never lets up, and he gives (the defense) a lot of confidence. The team defense is really coming together, because the blocks are there, and the digs are there, and now that it’s all there it’s really working well.”

The Arkansas State Red Wolves own a 15-6 overall and 4-3 conference record going into a match with New Orleans Thursday night before coming to Lafayette on Friday. The Red Wolves hold a 31-10 advantage all-time over the Cajuns, including a 0-3 UL loss in Jonesboro on Sept. 26.

The Red Wolves are led by Konae Purcell, who paces the team in kills (4.02/set). Erin Neeley helms the defense, with 4.16 digs per set, while Cayla Fielder leads in blocking, with 71 total blocks on the year.

The UALR Trojans visit Lafayette defending a 17-3 overall record, along with an 6-1 mark in the Sun Belt. So far, the Trojans have been unstoppable on the road, winning all six of their away matches. The Cajuns dropped a 3-0 decision in Little Rock on Sept. 28.

The Trojans are paced by Anita Bucur at 3.51 kills per set and a stellar .349 hitting percentage. On defense, they look to Amy Hafner, who leads the team with 4.50 digs per set, standing just behind the Cajuns’ Lindsay Brown on the conference leaderboard.

Following the home weekend, the Cajuns host New Orleans on Tuesday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. before taking to the road for matches against Middle Tennessee on Friday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m., and Western Kentucky on Sunday, Oct. 26, at 1 p.m.

RaginCajuns.com

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Who's going to Volleyball tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Ladies host ASU tonight at 7:00.

I'm going... anyone else? _
    Tough night with high school football in full swing. I certainly wish them the best, though!

Go Cajuns!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Who's going to Volleyball tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Tough night with high school football in full swing. I certainly wish them the best, though!

Go Cajuns! _
    Z, check your PM inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Ladies host ASU tonight at 7:00.

I'm going... anyone else?
    The fact that the time stamp on this message says you posted at 4:30 am indicates you are a TRUE fan. I might stop by with a friend of mine. How are they doin this season?

God Bless

GEAUX LOUISIANA LADY CAJUNS VOLLEYBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    The fact that the time stamp on this message says you posted at 4:30 am indicates you are a TRUE fan. I might stop by with a friend of mine. How are they doin this season?

God Bless

GEAUX LOUISIANA LADY CAJUNS VOLLEYBALL!!!!!!!!!!!
    They have already won more games than the team did all of last year...

They won't be world beaters, but I think Heather Mazeitis can get us on the winning track. She transferred from Tech and LOVES Lafayette. And she is really impressed with how much vball there is in the area.

I'll probably sneak a peak at the bball practice and then head over...I don't think I even know where the gym is located.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ I'll probably sneak a peak at the bball practice and then head over...I don't think I even know where the gym is located. _
    VB plays in Earl K. Long Gym, just like the women's basketball team. It is on campus (St. Mary Street) near the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    VB plays in Earl K. Long Gym, just like the women's basketball team. It is on campus (St. Mary Street) near the library.
    Across from Our Lady of Wisdom...

UL Volleyball Re: Who's going to Volleyball tonight?

Geaux Lady Cajuns! Coach is going to turn this program around. They need the support from the city, students and alumni. We will be in Tenn and Kentucky to support them next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsincajun View Post
    _ Geaux Lady Cajuns! Coach is going to turn this program around. They need the support from the city, students and alumni. We will be in Tenn and Kentucky to support them next weekend. _
    It looks like the turn has begun! Hope you enjoy the matches up in TN and KY! How is your daughter enjoying her experiences in Lafayette so far? My older son graduated last December and my younger son is a first semester Freshman. They both have loved it in Lafayette. Best of luck to your daughter! Geaux Cajuns!!!

Oh, BTW, my supervisor just moved to LaCrosse, starting his job on Oct. 1. I work for the Boy Scouts and he has been named the Scout Executive up there.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ It looks like the turn has begun! Hope you enjoy the matches up in TN and KY! How is your daughter enjoying her experiences in Lafayette so far? My older son graduated last December and my younger son is a first semester Freshman. They both have loved it in Lafayette. Best of luck to your daughter! Geaux Cajuns!!!

Oh, BTW, my supervisor just moved to LaCrosse, starting his job on Oct. 1. I work for the Boy Scouts and he has been named the Scout Executive up there. _
    She had a rough start with the two hurricanes and the entire team catching a virus the first week of practice (she was sick 8 days), but she is now "settling in." Has been a big adjustment for her, but it has been awesome how everyone down there has accepted her and have offered their help. It's been unbelievable. Things are different up here in a lot of ways! She called after the match tonight and is excited to be able to go to her first football game tomorrow! Thank you to all of the Ragin Cajun family for making her feel "at home" at her new home! Geaux Cajuns! Great job tonight. You had them but let it get away! Good luck on Sunday!

UL Volleyball congrats on tonights win

Way to geaux Lady Cajuns! Now go win these next two matches so you have a chance at the conferance tourney! You can do it!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: congrats on tonights win

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsincajun View Post
    _ Way to geaux Lady Cajuns! Now go win these next two matches so you have a chance at the conferance tourney! You can do it!! _
    Here, here!! Congrats Lady Cajun Volleyball team!!

Thanks Wisconsin Cajun...and congratulations!

Z

14. UL Volleyball Lady Cajuns Finish Season on a High Note

UL– Louisiana's LAdy Cajuns sent their seniors off in style, with a 3-1 win over visiting ULM by scores of 25-22, 20-25, 25-17 and 25-22.

The Lady Cajuns will finish the season at 8-21 overall, 5-13 in the Sun Belt Conference. The win total doubles that of the 2007 season, and equals the best mark in the last six years.

Departing the team are seniors Elizabeth Inman, Tracie Knowlton, Carly Payan and Sonora Edwards. Inman and Knowlton both leave behind several appearances in the Cajun leader charts in categories like kills and blocks.

Inman, the senior squad's lone four-year athlete, led the team against the Warhawks with 12 kills on two errors in attempts for a .500 percentage. Freshman Lesley Mirarchi struck for seven kills, followed by Knowlton with six. Edwards had five kills, and Payan added four.

Mirarchi added four block assists, while Knowlton put up two solo blocks and two block assists. Kendra Hall helped out with 39 assists.

Libero Lindsay Brown tallied 21 digs, her sixth 20-plus match of the season and 22nd double-digit total. With her 21 digs, Brown became the conference's digs leader in SBC matches.

The first three sets saw no lead changes and few ties, each team taking charge of the set and holding on to win it. In the first, the Cajuns hit .290 on 13 kills, four errors and 31 attempts, but stumbled in the second frame and hit just nine kills with six errors in 39 attempts for a percentage of .077.

They returned to form in the third, and hit .269 with 11 kills in 26 attempts with just four errors.

The fourth was different from the rest in that there were 17 tie scores and 11 lead changes. Both teams suffered from errors of all varieties, including seven attack errors, three service errors, and two reception errors for ULM, and seven attack errors and two reception errors for the Cajuns.

Despite the errors, Louisiana held on to win from a 21-21 tie thanks to a ULM attack error, two consecutive Lindsay Brown aces, and a kill from Mirarchi to seal the deal and end the season.

Head Coach Heather Mazeitis begins her first full offseason as a Cajun with the end of the match, and will begin her second season at the helm in August of 2009.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Finish Season on a High Note

Congrats Lady Cajun's on a nice season. This year was a precurser to the good things to come. This is a program on the rise. Good luck in their futures to the seniors. It was a pleasure getting to know you.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information