Thread: Student Crawfish Boil 2003

Default Student Crawfish Boil 2003

Students,
    on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 8:30, UL will host Western Kentucky in basketball at the cajundome in from of a nationally televised audience on espn2. UPC will be hosting a crawfish boil between the convention center and the cajundome before the game. Over 1000 pounds of crawfish will be there, and sedexo will be there cooking it. I have not gotten word of the time yet, but, I am sure it will kick off at a reasonable time with the game at 8:30. This is a good chance to come support the basketball team, get there early, and get a good seat for the game. I will post the time sometime this week. Make a note to be there early for the game. It's a great chance to meet more diehard cajun fans like yourself. Plan to attend. More details coming later.

Default Re: Student Crawfish Boil for WKU

Originally posted by evcajun12
    More details coming later.
    Keep em coming

3. Default

Louisiana Student Boil 1956

Attached Images Attached Images  

I didn't realize that when you told me a tradition revisted that you were serious. Was this done yearly, monthly back then? I had no clue. Thanks for the tip. Let me know if you pick up on other things.

PS. This is what I was looking for when I emailed you the other day. Things like this.

I think crawfish boils are still done every year on Lagniappe Day.

you are right, they are still done every year on lagniappe day, was just curious to know if it was done at another time.

7. Default 1972-73

Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by Zeebart21

PS How high do you think those 70's crawfish boiling dudes were????
    70's Dude on the left caption:

"Dude, I can't feel my hands.like.Wow! You got tickets to the Doobie Bros?"

70's Dude on the right caption:

"And these cats think were boiling crawfish.this is the biggest batch of 'shrooms in the history of the world!

9. Default

UPC to Host Free Crawfish Boil Today

Tonight, before the University of Louisiana Ragin’ Cajun basketball team lights up the scoreboard, students will have the chance to consume tray after tray of crawfish.

The Ragin’ Cajuns play Western Kentucky in a nationally-televised game airing at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2. Starting at 5:30 p.m., there will be a crawfish boil in the breezeway between the Cajundome and the convention center. Students also can enjoy free jambalaya and soft drinks by showing their student IDs. Students who are 21 can receive complimentary beer.

While the Cajuns’ performance on the court will take center stage, the students will help fuel the action, according to Union Program Council representatives.

“Pretty much the whole game is geared toward students and getting them there,” UPC President William Kellner said. “It’s kind of a special ordeal, and we see it as a really big chance to bring national publicity to the school. ESPN should be out there that day filming the crawfish boil. You can get your face on TV, and Mom and Dad can see you at home.”

Kellner said the pre-game experience is planned for the students’ benefit because they get to enjoy great food and then great basketball.

UPC member Joshua Sibille said the televised game gives a huge opportunity to promote UL on a national level. He said the attention will partially focus on the students before and during the game, so it will cast an important image of the university.

“We really want to get involved with ESPN, who’s covering the game,” Sibille said. “It’s the only college basketball game at that time that’s on national TV, so we’re hoping to get a lot of coverage. We’re going to try to get the anchors covering it to come eat with us.”

According to Pat Strong, UPC vice president, he will make sure everybody gets their crawfish and has a good time. He said he hopes the event will encourage student participation in future events.

“It’s almost a challenge to get everybody out there,” Strong said. “We shouldn’t want (the students) out there, they should want to go. It’s their school, too. It’s their basketball team, so it’s almost like a responsibility to be out there. It’s not like we’re 8-12 right now. University of Louisiana students have already shown enthusiastic support for the Cajuns this season. At press time, the Cajuns’ home record was 20-0. This record puts the Cajuns at seventh in the nation for home wins. Tonight, the students have the chance to support their team on national television, hopefully raising the victory toll another notch.”

“We’re really hoping to get a lot of student turnout,” Sibille said. “After the crawfish boil, we’re going to push everybody into the Cajundome next door. We’ve got some new things we’re going to try for this game, and we’re going to go over some stuff with the cheerleaders.”

Because the students play a major role in the game, they will be given a special entrance for tonight’s game.

“The Cajundome doors will open at 7:30 (p.m.), and (we) will have an entrance for students to go straight in from the crawfish boil,” Kellner said. “You can just go right in. We have a little side hatch.”

Kellner said UPC is paying for most of the events.

“Food services will be providing the food, Quintess Catering is providing the beer and, of course, the Cajundome is letting us use their area."

Tim Landry
    VERMILION

Thread Information