Poll: Biggest Basketball Rival?

Thread: Biggest Basketball Rival?

1. UL Basketball Biggest Basketball Rival?

Who is UL's biggest basketball rival?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Biggest Basketball Rival?

I went with Western Kentucky. We have had some great battles with UNO, but some of our most exciting basketball runs (and theirs) that had us working into the March Madness mix, was agaist WKU. The old Lamar days were great.

I've never felt a rivalry with LSU in basketball. UL has never had a chance to floor one of our better teams against them, and it has never taken on that status. It has a completely different meaning playing them.

I wish we were still rivals with Tech in everything. I hate to see that relationship go a different path, as it has. But, that's life I guess.

When you're in a slump, it's hard to re-ignite the rivalry mindset. I'm curious what others will vote in this poll. I think it would be nice to know what the age of the person is that picked which team. I think that would tell more than the poll itself about UL and rivalries.

I had to go with Western. It was a toss up for me between Western, UNO, & South Alabama. But I had to go with Western because historically, UL & Western are in the top 15% of Sun Belt Basketball. If you dont have a rivaly when you are at the top with a top team, why are you playing anyway?

4. Default Re: Biggest Basketball Rival?

I picked McSuck because they are so close in proximity to us, are in the same state as us, and we all know people who live there...so it's personal. I think that's what makes us good rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by angellebertrand View Post
    _ I picked McSuck because they are so close in proximity to us, are in the same state as us, and we all know people who live there...so it's personal. I think that's what makes us good rivalry. _
    But they are not close enough to go back and get there own jerseys when they are forgotten ...

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Who is UL's biggest basketball rival? _
    Jeez, this was a tough one. I put tech...they are close, we like to beat them, we play them in every sport, we know their alumni, etc. If it wasn't for other sports, it probably wouldn't be as big of a rivalry and vie versa. I can't see using WK as a rivalry because they're so far away, we don't have any relationship with their fans, and we only see them at home (in basketball) every other year. At least we've been playing Tech a little more lately and hopefully that will continue.

I voted for Western but I guess UNO would probably be our rival. Blackjack used to say them guys have our number at the Cajundome so I guess UNO would be the rival with Western being the game that we want to win because they have been at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewhite View Post
    _ I voted for Western but I guess UNO would probably be our rival. Blackjack used to say them guys have our number at the Cajundome so I guess UNO would be the rival with Western being the game that we want to win because they have been at the top. _
    I'm with you. This one goes back a ways. It's UNO for sure.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

For future, let's have categories to these rival polls...

Retro Rival
    Current Rival
    Rival in the making

or

Your daddy's USL rival
    Your UL rival
    Your child's UL rival

I'm kidding of course... I just think the selections in most cases are probably relative to the age of the individual (or most active time at the university).

It's 1981, Cajuns have won the Great Alaskan Shootout, they're undefeated, nationally ranked, and 3-0 New Orleans waltzes into Blackham Coliseum and knocks us off. We haven't been ranked since. We then put up with years of Tim Floyd, and players like Tony Harris and Ledell Eackles. A rival is someone who beats you at the worst possible time and you do the same to them. You lose to them as often as you beat them. We beat WKU more often than they beat us. UNO is our chief rival.

UL Basketball Re: Biggest Basketball Rival?

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    _ It's 1981, Cajuns have won the Great Alaskan Shootout, they're undefeated, nationally ranked, and 3-0 New Orleans waltzes into Blackham Coliseum and knocks us off. We haven't been ranked since. We then put up with years of Tim Floyd, and players like Tony Harris and Ledell Eackles. A rival is someone who beats you at the worst possible time and you do the same to them. You lose to them as often as you beat them. We beat WKU more often than they beat us. UNO is our chief rival. _
    We were ranked in the top 25 twice under Marty Fletcher early in the season, but again UNO tripped us up with Tim Floyd. Yea UNO is the team I love to hate!!

I hate Western Kentucky!

And their fans! And their stupid McDonald's Grimis looking mascot!!!

Any time another teams FANS (ADULT fans!!! Fans who should know better!!!) throw cups and bottles and crap at your team as they leave the court and call them thugs and show up at other conference games (like UL v Middle) just to cheer against you...it's a rivalry.

I HATE Western Kentucky!!! And their fans!!! And someone should take a baseball bat to that stupid mascot!!!

Did I mention I hate Western Kentucky?!?!?

UNO UNO UNO, May they never win another game.

Thread Information