Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst . 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 54 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: UL-Lafayette not planning name change, officials say (another poll)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    LoL bro. You sir are WAAaaay too uptight & need to chill the ____ out. I never said y'all should know your place. I also didn't blame y'all for the name change, just curious the reason why it happened in the first place.
    To answer the orignial question. Our president at the time thought the double directional schools sounded like community colleges. And, he proved to be correct. Off the top of my head, I know Southwest Texas State became Texas State and Southwest Missouri State became Missouri State. We tried to drop the Southwest and become Louisiana and were denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    A very simple and straight forward question: On April 17, 1984 it was voted by a margin of 17-1 to change the name from "University of Southwest Louisiana" to "university of Louisiana". That same year the diploma's read "University of Louisiana". On May 22, 1984 some P-OFF usla&m alumni and district judge Brown (alumni) decided to take up the issue and have the name changed back to USL. The La. Supreme court refuse to take up the matterThen the state legislators decided to have a law implemented that they would be the body to say what the names of our university could bethe law was after the factsso how can they say to this university what you can be called.mainly after the name had already been voted on and passedam I making an sense here? How can you make a law years or even days later after something was voted on and passed legally?
    In addition, the procedure the University used to change the name was the same that every other school, including Louisiana Tech, used to change theirs. To void our name change the judge used twisted logic that would have made a pretzel and Justice John Roberts proud. He reasoned that the constitution gave the power to create a new university only yo the legislature (ulm was not created by the legislature) and changing a name in effect created a new university so therefore by his logic the Board of a Trustees (prior name of ULS Board) could not grant the name change and "create" a new university.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

So to support the authors premise in the article, the author quotes fans. What kind of support is that. I am sure there will soon be a poll in Monroe about what we should be called and the author will use that to further support her claim.

Here is the one thing I have always honestly wondered. How would you guys feel if it was mutually (it won't happen legislatively, I realize this is an hypothesis) agreed that your university can legally be called the University of Louisiana but the system name is change to the Louisiana Tech University System. What would your opposition be, if any?

Default Re: Foote Show

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this.

But it was the emotion that got me.

The Advertiser has historically been pretty non-existent and even useless when it comes to the Cajusn.

To hear Foote, who has been pretty detached from the program, go off like he did was really refreshing.

His argument was pretty matter-of-fact and the only rebuttal to it can be "I don't care what the facts are, SLI should know its place."

You have to give somebody his props when its due.
    Agreed. I have been critical of Foote in the past but he deserves kudos on this score.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke dawg View Post
    Here is the one thing I have always honestly wondered. How would you guys feel if it was mutually (it won't happen legislatively, I realize this is an hypothesis) agreed that your university can legally be called the University of Louisiana but the system name is change to the Louisiana Tech University System. What would your opposition be, if any?
    Interesting hypothetical. At first glance, I wouldn't like it. But, at the same time, if flagship status wasn't conferred on La Tech. I'm not sure I would really care. The system does neither one of us either favors.

You can call it BFU system if you want to I do not give a rats azzzz. You don't like our name do not come on our board.

#WeAreLouisiana
    Last edited by MelRock; October 24th, 2013 at 11:31 am. Reason: Still no dog

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I am really having a hard time understanding how Louisiana Ragin Cajuns creates a false image or impression of anything. Any image of one program over another can and should be decided on the field, court, diamond, pitch, course, track, etc. Who cares what you call yourself. The scoreboard will decide the only image that matters . . . Winner.

How about we legally change our name to University of Louisiana and the System goes back to being the Board of Trustees? That way you don't have to worry about us being perceived as the "flagship" of the system and the reverse holds true for Tech. Keep in mind in our original quest for the name we did not ask for the a Board's name to be changed. And, unlike your administration, ours never proclaimed to be or aspired to be the "flagship".

I wouldn't have a problem as long as pupil funding was identical.

"Hypothetically" if your university had shown the leadership our university did to move this issue along we may very well be having this argument right now. But I think it's very obvious your university would rather be followers than leaders. Thus, the "hypothetical" is not what is happening. Get on board puppy, the train has left the station.

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Foote Show

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this.

But it was the emotion that got me.

The Advertiser has historically been pretty non-existent and even useless when it comes to the Cajusn.

To hear Foote, who has been pretty detached from the program, go off like he did was really refreshing.

His argument was pretty matter-of-fact and the only rebuttal to it can be "I don't care what the facts are, SLI should know its place."

You have to give somebody his props when its due.
    Kyle and Foote was good radio. Kyle basically said we need bold leadership that is not scared to rock the boat.

Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    I'll leave that to you and your buddies.

Tabby and I have an agreement we don't talk about the name issue.

My admiration for Tabby and how she's handled her health issues surpasses even the name issue.
    Jay, I hope you talk about this a bit on your show today. Just because you have respect for Tabby personally does not mean you can't rebut the trash that is coming out of her mouth. She should not get a pass and they should be called out for this. Obviously it doesn't have to be as "classy" as us forum posters lol.

Default Re: Why is the Daily Advertiser (THIS time Bill Decker) trying to sabotage us??

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwarhawks23 View Post
    I just wish that he would talk more about the skull dragging that the cajuns just put on instead of this.and ULM should be talking about trying to right the ship and get to .500.this is getting to be a crazy issue thats taking up a lot of attention
    If there was a game saturday you wouldn't see this.

Default Re: Why is the Daily Advertiser (THIS time Bill Decker) trying to sabotage us??

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    If there was a game saturday you wouldn't see this.
    True, but what is Monroe's excuse?

Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst . 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 54 . LastLast

Thread Information