Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    There is option for Louisiana
    It was added

Default Re: Advertiser Poll

i guess the two ___ wipes ( river ranch terd and toolame guy) voted for the 3 letter option f'em

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It was added
    Yeah, that was not there when I first went. There had already been 19 votes, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656 View Post
    I spoke to my friend who is the associate director of the Sun Belt conference and he just about echoes everything said here. He swears that the Sun Belt has always said "it's cool, call them what they want." But ESPN has their own agendas and when word got out on Twitter, they just wanted to make it abudantly clear.

He also saiddont hold your breath in thinking ESPN will suddenly roll over, they will still do what they want.
    If they said they're cool why are we Louisiana-Lafayette on the conference site?

Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I sent the following to Tim Buckley regarding one part of his article that wasn't exactly clear.

"Appreciate your article about the UL name issue. One minor point of clarification for your story. The University of Louisiana at Monroe has made it clear that they wish to brand themselves athletically as "ULM". They do not like UL Monroe or Louisiana-Monroe. The administration and fans of the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns have never objected to their desired branding. In fact we welcome it. We at UL just wish they would allow us the same right to control our own branding rather than try to dictate what they think others should call UL.

Thanks again,"
    If one reads the entire article, in my opinion, there is still confusion within UL.

Our SID quotes "There is confusion among the national sports organizations as to how to refer to the Ragin Cajuns. Our official name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but much like our opponents around the country, we simply go by Louisiana when referring to our athletic programs. It is the same situation at the universities of Texas (at Austin), Tennessee (at Knoxville), and California (at Berkeley), but years of use and understanding by the sports media has led to each of those schools to have their athletic monikers being simplified and accepted nationally. Although we proudly refer to our university with its full title for academic purposes, we ask that you use Louisiana Ragin Cajuns or some combination of those terms, when talking about our athletic teams."

On page 2 of the article, he quotes Aaron Martin, UL's director of communications and marketing "I think it's important to get a name right. It's always nice and respectful to refer to people the way they wish to be referred, and that would include institutions."

Correct ways to identify the university and it's football team include the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, UL Lafayette, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns or simply Cajuns, according to Martin.

So, just what is our position? We drop the 's on Louisiana and ask to be called Louisiana athletically by our SID, then other options are given to call us athletically by the university, which is what we are trying to get away from, and none of those options include Louisiana. Why aren't we on the same page on this? Perhaps this is an old quote, but it only serves to confuse matters IMO.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That sound you hear is World War Z happening in Monroe over this article.
    You could always post the link on their board to get it started!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    If one reads the entire article, in my opinion, there is still confusion within UL.

Our SID quotes "There is confusion among the national sports organizations as to how to refer to the Ragin Cajuns. Our official name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but much like our opponents around the country, we simply go by Louisiana when referring to our athletic programs. It is the same situation at the universities of Texas (at Austin), Tennessee (at Knoxville), and California (at Berkeley), but years of use and understanding by the sports media has led to each of those schools to have their athletic monikers being simplified and accepted nationally. Although we proudly refer to our university with its full title for academic purposes, we ask that you use Louisiana Ragin Cajuns or some combination of those terms, when talking about our athletic teams."

On page 2 of the article, he quotes Aaron Martin, UL's director of communications and marketing "I think it's important to get a name right. It's always nice and respectful to refer to people the way they wish to be referred, and that would include institutions."

Correct ways to identify the university and it's football team include the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, UL Lafayette, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns or simply Cajuns, according to Martin.

So, just what is our position? We drop the 's on Louisiana and ask to be called Louisiana athletically by our SID, then other options are given to call us athletically by the university, which is what we are trying to get away from, and none of those options include Louisiana. Why aren't we on the same page on this? Perhaps this is an old quote, but it only serves to confuse matters IMO.
    Yes, there still appear to be people within our own admin that are not on board.

My point was to try clear up any ambiguity that anyone not as familiar as we are that the Hoax have asked to be branded as "ULM". So it's not as if our branding request is infringing on their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Yes, there still appear to be people within our own admin that are not on board.

My point was to try clear up any ambiguity that anyone not as familiar as we are that the Hoax have asked to be branded as "ULM". So it's not as if our branding request is infringing on their brand.
    I agree. But, we are our own worse enemy. Now look what ESPN is calling us tonight and what is showing up on graphics. I can understand not having time to adjust graphics as this only came out today, but no reason not to be calling us Louisiana. This is purely an ESPN thing, obviously and not helped by UL's mixed stance on this.

I agree. But, we are our own worse enemy. Now look what ESPN is calling us tonight and what is showing up on graphics. I can understand not having time to adjust graphics as this only came out today, but no reason not to be calling us Louisiana. This is purely an ESPN thing, obviously and not helped by UL's mixed stance on this.
    I don't care what they call us tonight as long as we play 3 more quarters like this!

Default Re: guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    You could always post the link on their board to get it started!!
    Naw, i'm willing to bet the farm the name issue will be the battle cry on the part of ULM and the News Star the week we kick their butts back to Bastrop.
    Last edited by ZoomZoom; October 22nd, 2013 at 07:44 pm. Reason: No dog, you know.

The announcers missed the memo.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    VICTORY!!!
    I love that

Default Re: guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Naw, i'm willing to bet the farm the name issue will be the battle cry on the part of ULM and the News Star the week we kick their butts back to Bastrop.
    that's a sure thing bet

Our official name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but much like our opponents around the country, we simply go by Louisiana when referring to our athletic programs. It is the same situation at the universities of Texas (at Austin), Tennessee (at Knoxville), and California (at Berkeley), but years of use and understanding by the sports media has led to each of those schools to have their athletic monikers being simplified and accepted nationally
    Considering UL is the flagship university of their respective system, just like the above mentioned, they would just call us Louisiana.

Oh wait

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    Considering UL is the flagship university of their respective system, just like the above mentioned, they would just call us Louisiana.

Oh wait
    oh, look what crawled out from under the bridge

Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread Information