Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst . 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: Everyone has opinion on UL Lafayette nickname

For the Monroe game why don't we come out with special helmets with just a giant @ sign, lol. Best move is to just not answer, sit back, and others will start to wonder why are these schools not minding their own business. If we argue it gives them a pulpit, I saw just ignore

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    The question about whether the University of Lafayette can refer to its sports teams as Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns is drawing differing opinions from officials around the state, some of whom were involved in drafting the 1998 Board of Supervisors .

The rest of the story .
    Claire Taylor
    @ClaireTaylorTDA
    OK this is beating a dead horse! The advertiser continues to report this non story!

I have exchanged e-mails with Claire Taylor over the past few days. It may be hard to believe but I was generally respectful (unlike my e-mail to Decker) while chastising her for the poor content of her story with its errors and omissions. She was defensive when I challenged the integrity of the Advertiser and herself. After reading this mornings story (and it is in the print edition not just an online error) I sent her the following e-mail.

"And you people wonder why we want to just be referred to as "Louisiana"? One reason is we are tired of the myriad of inaccurate references such as LaLaf, the derisive "Ooh La La" (actually used by national media), and of course University of Lafayette as evidenced below from your story today.

"The question about whether the University of Lafayette can refer to its sports teams as Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns is drawing differing opinions from officials around the state, some of whom were involved in drafting the 1998 Board of Supervisors policy on how universities may refer to themselves."

Seriously? You got your hackles up when I questioned the integrity of the DA and yourself. Maybe instead of questioning your integrity I should have questioned competence. As evidenced by the comments on line to this story this is not the first time TDA has screwed up and I'm not the only one who has noticed and finds it unacceptable. At first I thought this might just be another screw up by the people responsible for the online edition. But upon opening the print edition this morning I see the same blatant error. And you indignantly stated to me that you are an alumna. Apparently you just don't know which University you attended.

This may be the last straw that causes me to cancel my subscription to The Daily Advertiser."

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    OK this is beating a dead horse! The advertiser continues to report this non story!
    And they continue to screw up by shoddy reporting. This time she screws up the name herself in the first sentence. Her incompetence basically makes our case for just referring to us as "Louisiana" or "UL" to avoid this confusion.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Fun, no disrespect, but we've been hearing this "we'll be Tier 1 shortly" for a long time now. Were starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf.

To be honest, I put that up their with all of the " ulm is bankrupt and can't stay D1A" and "Tech is in trouble" talk. Been hearing it forever, not seeing any of it in reality.

But like everyone else, glad to see you back.

How on earth did that article get by the proof readers. Oh wait, what proof readers. Who is this woman? I sure hope she is not from lafayette. What a disgrace she is to this community if she is!

Default Re: My blog on the name issue - From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwarhawks23 View Post
    No BS here man.ULM know what we need to do and our lack of funds.and yes Cajuns have won the last 2 games closely vs a under budgeted team.so The Cajuns to me aren't over achieving here.SBC champs lately?.that's should be the goal in laffy since you are the best team right?.you are a clueless and hopeless fan.good for you pipe dreamsdon't be D.I haven't been confrontational on this board.idiots like you that take it too seriously set lafayette apart for a bad reason.win the SB going forward (which could hopefully happen this yr) then talk about being the next best thing.have some perspective it's the Sun Belt.everyone is broke.some more than others
    I'll give you credit here, as well as ULM; I think ULM does a GREAT job of overachieving . yet we still won . twice.

We (Ragin Cajuns) are a different team now than last year's team . the SBC Championship is our primary goal and nobody, NOBODY is going to overachieve us to reach that goal.

Hope you can make the game on November 30th and best of luck to you, sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    How on earth did that article get by the proof readers. Oh wait, what proof readers. Who is this woman? I sure hope she is not from lafayette. What a disgrace she is to this community if she is!
    She is a graduate of UL as she indignantly stated to me in response to one of my first e-mails to her.

As Hammer stated; they are making our case for us . this is good to get it out front and public, especially on a national stage so some entities can't just sweep it away!

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    The question about whether the University of Lafayette can refer to its sports teams as Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns is drawing differing opinions from officials around the state, some of whom were involved in drafting the 1998 Board of Supervisors .

The rest of the story .
    Claire Taylor
    @ClaireTaylorTDA

Just when I thought I was done with sending emails, another piece of journalistic beauty appears. Just as well, I'm the mood to fire off on these frauds on a Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    And they continue to screw up by shoddy reporting. This time she screws up the name herself in the first sentence. Her incompetence basically makes our case for just referring to us as "Louisiana" or "UL" to avoid this confusion.
    Poor proof reading - "University of Lafayette". That is why there is so much confusion. Some people just can't get it right. GEAUX Louisiana Ragin Cajuns.

According to Claire's article, "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" is not a proper nickname. Well.is "LSU Tigers".or "Nichols Colonels".or "McNeese Cowboys".??? None of these have the school's official academic name on any athletic gear.

Claire.please go back and do your homework.then report back.

what's worse is that this is now the fifth article on this inane topic from our own paper!

If the News Star doesn't care so much, why should we?

14. Default Re: Everyone has opinion on UL Lafayette nickname

To me Claire's "University of Lafayette" is proof positive of what people remember when they see Martin Hall's UL Lafayette.

Claire has worked for the Advertiser since 1999. The entire 'University of Louisiana' second stint.

Default Re: My blog on the name issue - From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Why doesn't the Advertiser run an article about the UL System rule/law that every university in the system has to officially use a city tag? Someone posted that in an earlier thread. Yet, none of them have been following that. Are all universities required to have their official name with a city tag, i.e. LA Tech at Ruston? If so, why isn't that enforced. Seems like LA Tech has violated that and has been using its nickname all these years.
    HC.that is a great point.and is one I just made on the thread pertaining to "Claire's" article. NO school in this state has EVER used its official academic school name on any athletic gear. Somehow, our ULM and Redneck U fans, as well as our dear friend Claire missed that point.

Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst . 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 . LastLast

Thread Information