Page 57 of 78 FirstFirst . 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: Foote: UL name issue out of hand

Meh. It was ok until he started talking about UL fans getting mad when the announcers called us ULL. He asserts that, "oh well they just didn't know." Of course they knew Kevin. That's what this whole thing is about. We told them we wanted to be called Louisiana. How could they not know?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Meh. It was ok until he started talking about UL fans getting mad when the announcers called us ULL. He asserts that, "oh well they just didn't know." Of course they knew Kevin. That's what this whole thing is about. We told them we wanted to be called Louisiana. How could they not know?
    They may have known what we wanted to be called.but there is no way they could have known the gravity of the situation.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

A+

I wanted to post the comment below, but I could not figure out how to do so:

"I wonder why the columnist from Monroe suddenly decided to make an issue out of how the Cajuns athletic teams want to be referred to. Could it be related to the fact that Louisiana football has taken the next step up this season and ULM has also taken a step backwards? The timing seems pretty odd to me. Remember this is the same "journalist" who tried to stir up a controversy last season because the Cajun QB threw a TD pass on the final play of the game with ULM, rather than risk getting hurt by an all-out rush by the Monroe players. ULM is the most poorly funded program in FBS because they basically have no alumni or private support. Maybe they should concentrate on trying to stave off their increasing irrelevance in college sports rather than being so concerned with what is happening at UL. What little budget they do have has been focused mostly on football to the detriment of their other programs. Now it seems their football program has crashed and burned, they are trying to drag other schools down with them. This strategy will not work because UL is committed to improvement and has actual backers to support that improvement."

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    They may have known what we wanted to be called.but there is no way they could have known the gravity of the situation.
    He didn't say they didn't know the severity. He said folks they don't know. It was a very good piece, but those announcers can not plead ignorance. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I wanted to post the comment below, but I could not figure out how to do so:

"I wonder why the columnist from Monroe suddenly decided to make an issue out of how the Cajuns athletic teams want to be referred to. Could it be related to the fact that Louisiana football has taken the next step up this season and ULM has also taken a step backwards? The timing seems pretty odd to me. Remember this is the same "journalist" who tried to stir up a controversy last season because the Cajun QB threw a TD pass on the final play of the game with ULM, rather than risk getting hurt by an all-out rush by the Monroe players. ULM is the most poorly funded program in FBS because they basically have no alumni or private support. Maybe they should concentrate on trying to stave off their increasing irrelevance in college sports rather than being so concerned with what is happening at UL. What little budget they do have has been focused mostly on football to the detriment of their other programs. Now it seems their football program has crashed and burned, they are trying to drag other schools down with them. This strategy will not work because UL is committed to improvement and has actual backers to support that improvement."
    I agree. The timing of Tabby cat's missive as suspect. We just had a win that puts us in the driver's seat while they had to put together their only offensive drive to get by a team we thoroughly dominated. They are scared.

It's a last gasp. They should look at UNO because they are following the same economic model.

Default Re: My blog on the name issue - From the Bird's Nest

Hope they are away games and not home games.

it would be nice if espn decided to put our game against boise st on espn on a saturday.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    The timing of Tabby cat's missive is suspect.
    It's terrible timing. One, you don't try to kick your enemy when they're succeeding and you are not. You don't do it when you are about to visit them in a down year for your football program, and a nicely ascending year for your "enemy's" program. You don't do it when the subject you're attempting to blur, mislead and sensationalize will get clearly redefined by your "enemy" with local, regional and even national sports media access that you will not have.

All this attention is good for us. Every time anyone with UL is asked or has the opportunity to address this athletic branding name attack (which is the only point of true contention - our university follows the official name where it's required) we all need to turn the subject to our great football and athletics success, our campus improvements, our enrollment campaign, our athletic facilities improvements, RCAF growth, our endowment. and if anyone cares to ask to do cmparisons with ULM. we should define our differences through those metrix.

Our voice will boom over theirs in the branding name "contraversy". They are doing us a favor. "Thanks for the exposure ULM!"

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    And unless something changes, they will again next year as well.
    It's a near lock that they will broadcast another one of our mid-week games. Ideally it's not at home, not two consecutive tuesdays in a row, and, of course, we win.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    It's a near lock that they will broadcast another one of our mid-week games. Ideally it's not at home, not two consecutive tuesdays in a row, and, of course, we win.
    for schedule wise, id rather 2 weeks in a row.

Default Re: Why is the Daily Advertiser (THIS time Bill Decker) trying to sabotage us??

Fired off a pretty pointed email to the publisher, and to the editorial editor of the DA this morning. Received a reply back from Judy Bastien, the editorial editor. She told me that Decker's column was his view ALONE and not to be taken as representative of the paper. She also said that she couldn't comment on anything written in the paper, or any headlines used to fan the flames online, AND that we would see an editorial from the publisher this Sunday reflecting the OFFICIAL position of the DA on the name issue. Stay Tuned!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Why is the Daily Advertiser (THIS time Bill Decker) trying to sabotage us??

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Fired off a pretty pointed email to the publisher, and to the editorial editor of the DA this morning. Received a reply back from Judy Bastien, the editorial editor. She told me that Decker's column was his view ALONE and not to be taken as representative of the paper. She also said that she couldn't comment on anything written in the paper, or any headlines used to fan the flames online, AND that we would see an editorial from the publisher this Sunday reflecting the OFFICIAL position of the DA on the name issue. Stay Tuned!!
    I eagerly await the official position of the paper. If only every business could say, "that cockroach and ball of hair in your soup is not representative of our restaurant. it is the kitchen staff's work ALONE and not to be taken as representative of the restaurant". When a kitchen hack serves roaches in the soup, he gets fired." That was not just an "opinion piece". It was poorly organized and grossly inaccurate spew.

Again, I eagerly await the official position held by the DA. it better be filet mignon. on the house.

14. Default Re: Why is the Daily Advertiser (THIS time Bill Decker) trying to sabotage us??

WELLLLL-I think I know what will happen in the politically correct DA---We have conferred with our readers, the board, the readers parents, God, ETC and in order to not create confusion and to be fair and for whatever reason we now will refer to the Lafayette located school only as Louisiana Lafayette and ULL---However after using Louisiana lafayette first in the Sports page we will allow Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns-----I will then go on to lead the fight for all subscribers and advertisers to shun the only Gannette that makes money---They better not go there!!!!!

Louisiana Re: Foote: UL name issue out of hand

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    It's terrible timing. One, you don't try to kick your enemy when they're succeeding and you are not. You don't do it when you are about to visit them in a down year for your football program, and a nicely ascending year for your "enemy's" program. You don't do it when the subject you're attempting to blur, mislead and sensationalize will get clearly redefined by your "enemy" with local, regional and even national sports media access that you will not have.

All this attention is good for us. Every time anyone with UL is asked or has the opportunity to address this athletic branding name attack (which is the only point of true contention - our university follows the official name where it's required) we all need to turn the subject to our great football and athletics success, our campus improvements, our enrollment campaign, our athletic facilities improvements, RCAF growth, our endowment. and if anyone cares to ask to do cmparisons with ULM. we should define our differences through those metrix.

Our voice will boom over theirs in the branding name "contraversy". They are doing us a favor. "Thanks for the exposure ULM!"

Page 57 of 78 FirstFirst . 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 . LastLast

Thread Information