Page 48 of 78 FirstFirst . 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 58 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: My blog on the name issue - From the Bird's Nest

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    Sure, whateverbut y'all don't actually go by UL- Laffy for academics either. Last time I was down enjoying the best PoBoy on the planet, I noticed that the gates say University of Louisiana.no Lafayette. It looked liked there was a space for that but only small holes.
    Hey how is that seperation thing????? Ya'll are really out of this world.not.try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_UL View Post
    Hey how is that seperation thing????? Ya'll are really out of this world.not.try again.
    Ok .sepArated from what exactly?

Default Re: UL-Lafayette not planning name change, officials say (another poll)

In the past, in the era of the original change, lsu was very vocal against UL. The latest lsu statement, does not show interference or opposition. It may change, and it probably will, but at the moment, I don't see lsu taking a negative position. This to me is significant, and is very important. As long as they stay out of what UL wants to be named athletically, then I don't see enough political opposition to bring about any additional changes to what the University is doing. In fact, it could have the opposite effect and solidify UL's position. Hopefully, they stay out of it.

Sure, whateverbut y'all don't actually go by UL- Laffy for academics either. Last time I was down enjoying the best PoBoy on the planet, I noticed that the gates say University of Louisiana.no Lafayette. It looked liked there was a space for that but only small holes.
    Yep. Vandalism. With all the budget cuts we just don't have the money to repair everything. Think we probably have to get contracts and bids and everything.

oh crapsomeone get a blue tarp and cover that up so it's legal.

All this whole name thing tells me is that the other schools complaining (tech and ulm) are desperate. We just played two games on the road on national tv and dominated both games. We are also about to break ground on our master plan, and our school, fanbase, and popularity is growing by the day. And they can't stand that. These same two schools are the same ones that use bingo nights as fund raisers, wait three years to break ground on an end zone project, and turn down bowl games. And let's not forget one of these schools not being able to feed their entire team at their respected bowl game. Any one with half of a brain would think that those particular issues would top their agenda. Nope, what another school calls itself trumps all of it. Well fine by me. While we continue to grow as a school, you can keep worrying about us as you abandon your own issues and watch your own school whither in the dust.

7. Default Re: UL-Lafayette not planning name change, officials say (another poll)

If you were serious, I'd give you an explanation. LaPoly just doesn't have the same ring to it ; )
    LaPoCo had a nice ring to it

Default Re: Foote Show

I hope Kyle finally gets it.that all the hemming and hawing we do about other schools is real and not just our own paranoid delusions. There was a concerted effort inn1984, and it's showing itself again today.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I sometime frequent the message forum for college softball (robocoach) and the name issue had a old thread that was recently revived as well. Since it was appropriate to the current discussion, I thought I would also post it here. A poster listed as ObjectiveCollegeFan posed some questions for which I had the following reponse;

ORIGINAL POSTING:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ObjectiveCollegeFan
    Amos -

I am honestly not trying to throw fuel on the fire, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I just find this situation interesting and I am trying to understand your perspective. Have you considered that Monroe might also want to call themselves Louisiana? Do they have any less of a right to make such a request with regard to their athletic teams? If you only have to use ULL for "legal" purposes, could you then request to be called Notre Dame for athletic purposes ? An unrealistic example I know, but the point is. where is the line drawn?

"I personally think it goes back to the thought that if I can make someone else seem less successful or relevant it makes me look better. "

The flip side of that coin is It would seen that UL is unjustly attempting to make themselves seem more successful or relevant than other universities in Louisiana simple by inference of their name??? I think most people find it confusing that UL / ULL fans find the ULL moniker offensive when those using it don't seem to do so with any malice. I guess the bottom line is you can request until you are blue in the face, but you can't force anyone to use UL given that ULL is the legal name.

I apologize in advance if you find any of this offensive. Again, I'm just trying to understand.

For what it's worth, I have always been impressed with the quality of softball teams that you guys put on the fieldregardless of the name!

MY RESPONSE:
    I apologize in advance if any find this offensive. I'm just trying to answer your questions/concerns.

My answer would be this. Monroe can call themselves Louisiana Warhawk's or Warhawk's just as well as we request to be called Louisiana Ragin Cajuns or Ragin Cajuns. I have no issue with that at all.

I think asking to be called by a name you think will make your "brand" more easily identified nationally doesn't have anything to do with making other feel inferior unless the others feel inferior. Additionally, I think if someone thinks a universities choice of athletic brand name has anything to do with the success of their athletic or academic performance probably shouldn't be operating a institution of higher learning. Maybe we should all go with diplomas without any names on them at all so no university graduates will feel inferior in the business marketplace.

ULL is not nor has ever been the legal name of the university. The universities official name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and that has not changed. In fact, all of the stipulations as to the name of the University have long been noted on the school website at http://www.louisiana.edu, which are listed below. I think they've made it pretty clear what is expected.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette has been the formal and official name of the University since 1999. Please use it in first reference to the University in text. UL Lafayette may be used as an abbreviation to refer to the University when clarification is necessary.
    Inaccurate References

Do not refer to the University as ULL in any instance.
    Do not use the terms Lafayette or U of L, as they denote other institutions.

Athletics Nickname

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns® is the nickname of the University's athletic teams. Teams also may be referred to using shorter versions of that nickname. In most cases, Ragin' Cajuns plural is proper, though Ragin' Cajun in the singular form can apply.

Please include a registered symbol (®) as a subscript for the first reference of the term Ragin' Cajuns® in text. The registered symbol must appear in every use of the logos.
    Unacceptable Styles

Laf or L (instead of Lafayette), La or LA (instead of Louisiana)
    Hyphens or commas in the name, abbreviation, or nickname
    Ragin Cajuns (without the apostrophe)
    Lady Cajuns (former name of the women's teams)

- See more at: http://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/meT8jSavvO.dpuf

Proper Use of the Universities Name
    University of Louisiana at Lafayette has been the formal and official name of the University since 1999. Please use it in first reference to the University in text. UL Lafayette may be used as an abbreviation to refer to the University when clarification is necessary. - See more at: http://www.louisiana.edu/about-us/meT8jSavvO.dpuf
    University of Louisiana at Lafayette has been the formal and official name of the University since 1999. Please use it in the first reference to the University in text. UL Lafayette may be used as an abbreviation to refer to the University when clarification is necessary.

Inaccurate References

Do not refer to the University as ULL in any instance.
    Do not use the terms Lafayette or U of L, as they denote other institutions.

Athletics Nickname
    Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns is the nickname of the University's athletic teams. Teams also may be referred to using shorter versions of that nickname. In most cases, Ragin' Cajuns plural is proper, thought Ragin' Cajun in the singular form can apply.

Please include a registered symbol (0) as a subscript for the first reference of the term Ragin' Cajuns in text. The registered symbol must appear in every use of the logos.

Unacceptable Styles

Laf or L (instead of Lafayette), La or LA (instead of Louisiana)
    Hyphens or commas in the name, abbreviation, or nickname
    Ragin Cajuns (without the apostrophe)
    Lady Cajuns (former name of the women's teams)

Logos and Name Use

All uses of the University name, department names, nicknames, logos and visual marks (including the Ragin' Cajuns family of marks) or any likenesses, including but not limited to advertising, stationery, websites, cobranding, facilities or apparel, must be approved by the Office of Communications and Marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I know for a fact the brass letters were put back at least 5 times, and probably had to be special ordered each time.

They must have gone through the brass letter budget.
    those letters are now probably with the plaque.

Ok .sepArated from what exactly?
    I don't know, you guys talked about seperation for many yearsyour a teckster.just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You have a gripe? Do something about it. If not, Please. You guys are acting like _______ worse than the Monroe guys.
    Ahhh, the always illustrious Z-man. I love the way you express yourself.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ahhh, the always illustrious Z-man. I love the way you express yourself.
    So you aren't acting like _______? Remember when you had visions of separation??? HHAHAHAHAHA! I'll bet this isnt the way you intended that to turn out, am I right?? HAHAHA!

Tech separation= turning down bowl games and delaying project by three years

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    1. I said I have no issue with what was written. And, I don't. First amendment gives her the right to say what she did. And, again, it wasn't an editorial piece.

2. You will NEVER see me publicly rip a professional colleague. To do so would be to make it personal. And, this isn't personal to me.
    With regards to #2, I completely respect that decision and commend you on that.

Page 48 of 78 FirstFirst . 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 58 . LastLast

Thread Information