Page 35 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: UL-Lafayette not planning name change, officials say (another poll)

Quote Originally Posted by NOLACajun View Post
    Interesting comment at the end of the article by an NLuLM alum:

"I'm a 1976 grad of Northeast Louisiana University. I am now, and always have been very proud of that name. I wish NLU hadn't foolishly agreed to partner with USL in 1999 so that USL could become ULL (at least 2 schools had to change names, and the NLU president signed on to force the name change to ULM...yep, it was forced...there was never any vote of students, staff or alumni). It wasn't a very bright move by NLU, and the select few NLU people who wound up ramming through the name change to ULM should have known that USL has for a long time wanted to be UL. It didn't take a genius to see that's exactly what the USL folks would try to do, somehow, some way.

Now, ULL is stepping up its efforts to be viewed as UL, or Louisiana (and don't try to B.S. anyone by saying that's not what ULL is doing). The school that stands to lose the most is ULM. I mean, the name "University of Louisiana at Monroe" already sounds like a local branch of a bigger school in the first place. And now that ULL is really trying to be viewed as the flagship of the UL system, the perception will be that ULM (which has never marketed itself as anything other than that) is just a branch of mother UL in Lafayette.

Personally, I support ULL's efforts, but not at the cost of the reputation of ULM. Since there was never anything wrong with the name NLU, if ULL is going to take steps to be UL, I see no reason why ULM would want to retain that name. Perhaps it's time for that vote we never had back in 1999. I'd like to see how the students, staff and alumni feel about keeping a name that creates the perception that we are a satellite of a mother ship, especially now that the other school is really making a concerted effort to be that mother ship."

Why is ULM taking this as an affront? taking it so personal? Each school should just strive to be their best.
    It may be interesting, it is also factually incorrect. Poor little innocent ulm did try to market themselves as Louisiana. Check back yo photos of their baseball uniforms under a Smoke Laval and their football uniforms before the change to Waaaaahhhhhhoax.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLACajun View Post
    Interesting comment at the end of the article by an NLuLM alum:

"I'm a 1976 grad of Northeast Louisiana University. I am now, and always have been very proud of that name. I wish NLU hadn't foolishly agreed to partner with USL in 1999 so that USL could become ULL (at least 2 schools had to change names, and the NLU president signed on to force the name change to ULM...yep, it was forced...there was never any vote of students, staff or alumni). It wasn't a very bright move by NLU, and the select few NLU people who wound up ramming through the name change to ULM should have known that USL has for a long time wanted to be UL. It didn't take a genius to see that's exactly what the USL folks would try to do, somehow, some way.

Now, ULL is stepping up its efforts to be viewed as UL, or Louisiana (and don't try to B.S. anyone by saying that's not what ULL is doing). The school that stands to lose the most is ULM. I mean, the name "University of Louisiana at Monroe" already sounds like a local branch of a bigger school in the first place. And now that ULL is really trying to be viewed as the flagship of the UL system, the perception will be that ULM (which has never marketed itself as anything other than that) is just a branch of mother UL in Lafayette.

Personally, I support ULL's efforts, but not at the cost of the reputation of ULM. Since there was never anything wrong with the name NLU, if ULL is going to take steps to be UL, I see no reason why ULM would want to retain that name. Perhaps it's time for that vote we never had back in 1999. I'd like to see how the students, staff and alumni feel about keeping a name that creates the perception that we are a satellite of a mother ship, especially now that the other school is really making a concerted effort to be that mother ship."

Why is ULM taking this as an affront? taking it so personal? Each school should just strive to be their best.
    They know we have won the name battle when ESPN announced they would use Louisiana. ULM in the beginning thought they would steal the name.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    They know we have won the name battle when ESPN announced they would use Louisiana. ULM in the beginning thought they would steal the name.
    When did ESPN announce that? I must have missed it because they didn't do it Tuesday night, unfortunately.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    Everyone should go back and read post #27-29 by me early this morning/late last night.
    https://forumeus.com/...681#post559681

Anyone for this? Let's theme the ULM game on Nov 30th as "We are LOUISIANA!"

Now should we add a "Suck it HOAX" to the end of that theme?
    I am one that respectfully disagrees with this completely. The more we rub it in their face, the longer we have to hear them whine. I want them to shut up so their cause can never gain momentum. 2 yrs ago T-Joe had our scoreboard changed to say Ragin Cajuns vs "taunting" them with the name. I just want to kick their arses, send them home with an L and not have crabby tabby dominate headlines across the state after we put it to them on the field. While I like the direction, after 13 years I'm so fn tired of this name issue brought up every single day. I'm embarrassed that our defense held the 2 time defending conf champions to under 170 yards, our offense held the ball 43 minutes last night.......and we've got 74,000 posts in multiple threads today about the dam name issue instead of the clinic we put on last night.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    I am one that respectfully disagrees with this completely. The more we rub it in their face, the longer we have to hear them whine. I want them to shut up so their cause can never gain momentum. 2 yrs ago T-Joe had our scoreboard changed to say Ragin Cajuns vs "taunting" them with the name. I just want to kick their arses, send them home with an L and not have crabby tabby dominate headlines across the state after we put it to them on the field. While I like the direction, after 13 years I'm so fn tired of this name issue brought up every single day. I'm embarrassed that our defense held the 2 time defending conf champions to under 170 yards, our offense held the ball 43 minutes last night.......and we've got 74,000 posts in multiple threads today about the dam name issue instead of the clinic we out on last night.
    I agree. Ignoring the haters is the best way to get at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Dwayne from Minden? Well if that is the case the mask is off and we see the true nature of the Nechs. Dwayne always presented himself as Mr. Reasonable secure in who they were and perfectly fine with UL pursuing its own course as they pursued theirs. I guess since they failed in their bid to become the flagship of north Louisiana they are worried that we might succeed in becoming known as the University of Louisiana.
    Hammer I think it's more than just that, their scared s---less that between their inept handling of the bowl, the failure to launch their athletic expansion announced over 3 years ago, & horrible coaching selection vs our record breaking bowl attendance, SEZ project, & HUD hire, they have finally accomplished separation. They can't arrest their fall. They see their fan base slipping, and with it, money. And it's not just athletics. I have family members recount some envious statements made by Tech alums concerning the dorm & union projects. Basically it was "Where are those poor little coona--ess getting all that money to build that!!!" That kind of fear / envy makes some people irrational / vengeful. Look at the "occupiers". That being said, Tech & Hoax can "bec mon chu Louisiane"

Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

"Never mind I wouldn't know where to start."

Start with courage. Then go to intelligence. Finish with productivity.

8. Default Re: UL-Lafayette not planning name change, officials say (another poll)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    When did ESPN announce that? I must have missed it because they didn't do it Tuesday night, unfortunately.
    -----BUSTED----JUST ASK WHY THEY USED LOUISIANA ONLY---- INITIALLY!!!

9. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I am one that respectfully disagrees with this completely. The more we rub it in their face, the longer we have to hear them whine. I want them to shut up so their cause can never gain momentum. 2 yrs ago T-Joe had our scoreboard changed to say Ragin Cajuns vs "taunting" them with the name. I just want to kick their arses, send them home with an L and not have crabby tabby dominate headlines across the state after we put it to them on the field. While I like the direction, after 13 years I'm so fn tired of this name issue brought up every single day. I'm embarrassed that our defense held the 2 time defending conf champions to under 170 yards, our offense held the ball 43 minutes last night.......and we've got 74,000 posts in multiple threads today about the dam name issue instead of the clinic we put on last night.
    Great post...especially the last sentence! I think it is more important to enjoy the strides we have made as a program the last 2 1/2 years. We just went on the road two straight weeks, on a Tuesday, and were dominant. I thought that first Bowl victory was a blast. The nice thing is...this coach just keeps raising the bar! Can we get back to football and save these name wars for the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by ULBouzi View Post
    Yea, tarp fan extraordinaire Dwayne is begging Dr. Woodley to make an addendum to the Bylaws in order to prevent us from branding ourselves as Louisiana. If they would have mobilized as quickly as they are now and emailed Van De Velde last year, they might have convinced him to accept the Independence Bowl invite.
    A fine representative of Louisiana Tarp University

Default The North louisiana Follies

Ok, let me take a whack at this. Louisiana Tech and ULM seem to be tag teaming our governing Board to make U L stop using the athletic branding "Louisiana" because they think it denotes "Flagship" status. Meanwhile, Louisiana Tech, in official University Press releases mind you, designates itself "The Flagship of North Louisiana". If anyone would check you will find that the word "Flagship" is never used by any Department at UL. ULM meanwhile was the first to try and brand itself as "Louisiana" in the early 2,000's. Ulm is being goaded even more by Tech to pursue this insanity all the while knowing that Tech has declared ULM Indian(far east) style untouchable status as far as they will never be on the schedule...Tech going so far as to run away like a scalded dog from the Independence Bowl because the opponent was to be....ULM. Meanwhile Tabby of Monroe News Star fame who seems to be cooperating with Tech flunkies has issued a name fatwa against UL and has even tried to drag LSU into this. LSU apparently could give a damn...they have their own problems. In addition, former editor of the Advertiser, Bill Decker, throws an ignorance grenade in the middle of all this as of this morning....and our former President doesn't help matters either.....Well...that's all for now ....bartender can I have another....and leave the bottle...good grief

douglas's Avatar douglas is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: The North louisiana Follies

mind blown.....

13. Default Re: The North louisiana Follies

"Louisiana" denotes "Flagship" status? Are they objecting to calling football a flagship sport? Seems like they should complain when a minor sport uses the phrase not football. The fact is, "Louisiana" is so generic it can't denote anything other than origin.

"Louisiana Fast" = Popeyes

"Louisiana Kitchen" = Popeyes again

"This is Louisiana!" = The guy from Illinois eating hot boiled Crawfish.

"Louisiana, get over here." = The soldier during WWII

"That's Louisiana!" = It rained all day.

"I am Louisiana." = Any boasting Louisiana resident.

"We Are Louisiana!" = Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana

"That's Louisiana for you." = Someone tried to say using your location means you are claiming flagship status.

"That's Louisiana for you." = Where it suddenly became illegal for an executive body to rename an institution IF it voted to do so.

"That's Louisiana for you:" Fill in the blank there are a million.

14. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I'm embarrassed that our defense held the 2 time defending conf champions to under 170 yards, our offense held the ball 43 minutes last night.......and we've got 74,000 posts in multiple threads today about the dam name issue instead of the clinic we put on last night.
    This one was Gannett Media generated.

15. Default UL may have gone too far, former president says (Advertiser recants)

UL may have gone too far, former president says

The university may have gone too far this season, criticizing sports announcers for not calling the team Louisiana and even ... time and if they included the school's geographic location in the name.

Page 35 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 ... LastLast

Thread Information