Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst . 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Maybe it is time to send them back to the Southland Conference; they can fight with Ryan Street High over their names!

2. UL Football Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

What makes you think they are not at that stage. They could not fund the team to go to the Indy Bowl last year, instead stayed and ate in MoanROW.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    We are not violating any law!
    When the Board of Trustees named the institution ( 'totally' under their control) "University of Louisiana" they didn't come close to breaking any laws either.

The judge reasoned 'I can't find any law that says you can name an institution totally under your executive control . . . so you can't.' 'Oh and by the way Board of Regents, I know you have done it before but you can't either

The reason he had to kill it for the BoR was because the Louisiana Constitution stated that ANY right that the BoR had, the BoT had also.

A few months later the LA Legislature exposed the flaw in his logic by reinstating naming privileges to the BoR with a caveat, legislative stamp of approval was now required.

This law made zero sense UNLESS, they once had the right.

4. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    I spent the night in Munro last night. Woke up this morning in this story is the front page story. It has really gotten these peoples craw that we are now called Louisiana
    And not one rednecked dumb jerk off asked what are our universities being bankrupted so Bobby Jindal can run for president? No, no those damned bazztards in Lafayette, who do they think they are.

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Oh, I do think they are at that stage now . it is under stress that people crack . we win a big game and have a 4 page write up in the online DA . MoanROW is a bystander and has a 5 page write up about the name issue . 5 pages!

These are separate points (beginners Boomerese) but have been combined for simplicity.

Tabby decides to pick this fight after we win two bowl games, establish RCAF and unprecedented fan and business support, and beat ULM five years in a row. Either she is really stupid or she's actually on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Let's get something straight here. Right now, the official name of our university is the Univeristy of Louisiana at Lafayette. This is what we call ourselves everywhere that doesn't involve football. And when it does involve football most people still call us Louisiana-Lafayette anyway. Are you really happy with this?????? Do you think this is somehow going to magically change one day????? Do you think the LSUs and ULMs of the world are going to stop caring about this????? The situation we're in today is completely unacceptable and I don't know why people like you are okay with it.

It's about trying to get our rightful name with a solution that will get our opponents on our side. I don't know what the answer is but we've got to shoot for something better than the status quo. What we're doing is not working and we've got to come up with a different strategy.
    We need to keep fighting the fight, and not give up or give in because of petty people that have nothing better to do but worry about what others call themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    I think this is my final post on this issue.

In MY opinion:
    we have two choices:
    1. Carry on the way we have in all regards and continue to ask and influence media outlets to call us "Louisiana" or "UL". This, I think will eventually come back to haunt us because I honestly believe we will face an eventual amendment to the 1998 law initiated by a coalition of Northern LA, BR, and NOLA legislators for the reasons previously discussed.

2. Double down and full-court press this issue even harder (if that is at all possible) to speed up this transformation where it gets to a point (quickly) where ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc are calling us Louisiana for ALL sports. This would make it much more difficult in the court of public opinion (the most important thing to any politician since this = votes) to change us back.
    Again, as a lifetime supporter of UL and Louisiana, I am concerned
    Me too. I said this awhile back and was brushed off by some, about that our awesome state politicians would just re-write the law, and NOT in our favor.

We CANNOT legally change the name of our university again. The law states that all members of the UL System must go by either their current name or change to "University of Louisiana at (CITY TAG)". I take that as, if SLU wants to change their name they must become UL-Hammond. They have no other choices. The law, as we all know, was written to hinder higher ed in this state in LSU's favor.

We are stuck as is, or will get legally forced into something we don't want.

Only other option, is going private.that ain't happening either.

It is illegal for them to say we can not use Louisiana! It is the same when LaTech use just Tech. It is illegal for us to say University of Louisiana without the city tag because it can be interpreted as we are Thee University of Louisiana.

The University would not give up the domain ULL.edu if they did not have assurance's from someone that it is perfectly legal to have Louisiana.edu. The administration has thought this through I am sure they consulted lawyers and experts when it comes to this name issue.

Last edited by Ragin9221; October 23rd, 2013 at 12:27 pm. Reason: i

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Is it just me?

Am I the only one who thinks we should have one branding initiative above all others. WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be T-shirts available in every outlet we can think of which have in big, bold, block lettering, WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The shirts most worn at football games should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be signage everywhere around the athletic complex which reads WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The athletic buses should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The equipment trailers should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be a WE ARE LOUISIANA chant by the cheerleaders and the fans many times during all sporting events.

etc. etc. etc.
    They should roll this campaign out ASAP! Give out signs to every fan for the ULM game and make a real statement.

Lamon and Ltur are whinning, because that's all they know how to do. It's in their nature to complain about what others are doing, because they are in fear of what UL is doing. Hope this UL administration has the kahonies to press on and stay strong. The supporters of UL also need to also be vocal and not shy away. The fight has been going on since the 80's, don't give up!

Aren't all of the moniker's for anything outside of the university legal name registered and owned by the university? If so, how is that illegal. It already passed a legal exam (one would think) when it was registered. It is the brand and intellectual property of the university or university athletics. It can't be illegal, if it was, then someone would deep pockets could take the nfl to court for owning the "Super Bowl" name and image. That's why advertisers refer to it as "the big game" etc instead of paying a rights fee to use it. Same thing here. Its not illegal, its not a backwash to the law, its a registered name of what athletics wants to be ID'd and branded Same thing with a web site address,if you own it, you own it and it can't be used without cash exchanging hands. Its intellectual property. If Registered, the others can't use it unless they're willing to pay. If it were up to me, the attorneys would already have sent letters to ESPN, Gannett, UL Monrow, etc seeking restitution for the purposeful and wanton destruction of registered property and the athletic brand of the university.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, I only play one on this web site. And, I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few months ago

Even the article in the News-Star is misleading because it reads "ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false image, officials say" We are not trying to lose Lafayette we still use UL-Lafayette when referring to the University. The article makes you think that we are branding ourselves as University of Louisiana, or UL. WE ARE JUST USING LOUISIANA.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Aren't all of the moniker's for anything outside of the university legal name registered and owned by the university? If so, how is that illegal. It already passed a legal exam (one would think) when it was registered. It is the brand and intellectual property of the university or university athletics. It can't be illegal, if it was, then someone would deep pockets could take the nfl to court for owning the "Super Bowl" name and image. That's why advertisers refer to it as "the big game" etc instead of paying a rights fee to use it. Same thing here. Its not illegal, its not a backwash to the law, its a registered name of what athletics wants to be ID'd and branded Same thing with a web site address,if you own it, you own it and it can't be used without cash exchanging hands. Its intellectual property. If Registered, the others can't use it unless they're willing to pay. If it were up to me, the attorneys would already have sent letters to ESPN, Gannett, UL Monrow, etc seeking restitution for the purposeful and wanton destruction of registered property and the athletic brand of the university.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, I only play one on this web site. And, I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few months ago
    If you stayed at a Holiday Inn, you are well qualified to rebuke Tabby. Case closed. Sad, ULM has a beat writer covering us better than ULM = we're doing something right.

That add campaign is very effectivehear my kids use it too. & quite relevant to this string: it creates BRAND RECOGNITION that others take hold & use.

15. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
    I see the Alexandria Clown Talk also carried this article.

Not surprising--the two towns with the most redneck idiots in the state . and that's saying something.
    ----Lafayette Alex and Monroe papers all owned by the same people!!!

Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst . 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 . LastLast

Thread Information