Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I think this is my final post on this issue.

In MY opinion:
    we have two choices:
    1. Carry on the way we have in all regards and continue to ask and influence media outlets to call us "Louisiana" or "UL". This, I think will eventually come back to haunt us because I honestly believe we will face an eventual amendment to the 1998 law initiated by a coalition of Northern LA, BR, and NOLA legislators for the reasons previously discussed.

2. Double down and full-court press this issue even harder (if that is at all possible) to speed up this transformation where it gets to a point (quickly) where ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, etc are calling us Louisiana for ALL sports. This would make it much more difficult in the court of public opinion (the most important thing to any politician since this = votes) to change us back.
    Again, as a lifetime supporter of UL and Louisiana, I am concerned

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    We need to get together with them and come up with a solution we can both agree on, because as things stand today neither school is happy.
    We are happy! They are the ones that seem to have a problem.

Is it just me?

Am I the only one who thinks we should have one branding initiative above all others. WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be T-shirts available in every outlet we can think of which have in big, bold, block lettering, WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The shirts most worn at football games should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be signage everywhere around the athletic complex which reads WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The athletic buses should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

The equipment trailers should read WE ARE LOUISIANA.

There should be a WE ARE LOUISIANA chant by the cheerleaders and the fans many times during all sporting events.

etc. etc. etc.

Let's get something straight here. Right now, the official name of our university is the Univeristy of Louisiana at Lafayette. This is what we call ourselves everywhere that doesn't involve football. And when it does involve football most people still call us Louisiana-Lafayette anyway. Are you really happy with this?????? Do you think this is somehow going to magically change one day????? Do you think the LSUs and ULMs of the world are going to stop caring about this????? The situation we're in today is completely unacceptable and I don't know why people like you are okay with it.

It's about trying to get our rightful name with a solution that will get our opponents on our side. I don't know what the answer is but we've got to shoot for something better than the status quo. What we're doing is not working and we've got to come up with a different strategy.
    I have to wonder whats their ultimate goal. I don't see this as anything other than finding any method to knock down others to make yourself appear better. Without LSUA&M in the mix, which had to legislate the "flagship" status to have anyone agree, it is the Louisiana educational system equivalent of the lowest common denominator. I think you're wrong if you believe any of the universities in this state would agree to anything that would help (or just not hinder) UL from being the best they can be academically or athletically.

Here's my thought. We have new construction going on all over campus with the student union, dorms, parking towers, speculating on new land purchases, increasing academic standards without losing enrollment, continuing progress in national academic circles. All of this without the 125M athletic master plan. Other universities around the state don't see any way that they can do what we are doing, and they are scared.

I don't see any way any of them would be willing to negotiate anything. We just need to keep on keeping on.

Let's get something straight here. Right now, the official name of our university is the Univeristy of Louisiana at Lafayette. This is what we call ourselves everywhere that doesn't involve football. And when it does involve football most people still call us Louisiana-Lafayette anyway. Are you really happy with this?????? Do you think this is somehow going to magically change one day????? Do you think the LSUs and ULMs of the world are going to stop caring about this????? The situation we're in today is completely unacceptable and I don't know why people like you are okay with it.

It's about trying to get our rightful name with a solution that will get our opponents on our side. I don't know what the answer is but we've got to shoot for something better than the status quo. What we're doing is not working and we've got to come up with a different strategy.
    Oh, that's an easy one.

As soon as we are in a conference without ULM (and preferably without Teck, though that may take longer), it's over. The conference members will want us called The University of Louisiana because it sells more tickets.

When that happens, the media will also call us The University of Louisiana.

After that, what LSU or ULM or Teck thinks amounts to bupkus.

Default Re: Cajuns fight to be 'Louisiana'

Whatever transpires from this, we do need to be able to find a national outlet . maybe we can shame our "leaders" into doing the right thing . for once.

Default Re: Cajuns fight to be 'Louisiana'

And by "our leaders", I am referring to political, not at the University . but I hope/trust they will do the right thing every time!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I don't see any way any of them would be willing to negotiate anything. We just need to keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Oh, that's an easy one.

As soon as we are in a conference without ULM (and preferably without Teck, though that may take longer), it's over. The conference members will want us called The University of Louisiana because it sells more tickets.

When that happens, the media will also call us The University of Louisiana.

After that, what LSU or ULM or Teck thinks amounts to bupkus.
    ULM in SBC

Teck in CUSA

Tulane in AAC

All of them will do the same thing.be whiny little pansies.

The MWC or a new SWC without Teck or Tulane is the only way we will not receive interference from within the conference.

I wonder if they realized that this non-sense would do nothing but re-charge our batteries!

If the state law is amended then I have lost all respect to the politicians in Baton Rouge. We need a group of lobbyist and lawyers in the Louisiana state legislature if the issue is pushed in Baton Rouge. We are not violating any law!

If a law is passed saying we can not use Louisiana then it is violation of the 1st amendment of the Constitution of the United States. The term Louisiana is not a reference to anything not even this great state we live in, it is a general term. I want this issue to be brought up to the United States Supreme Court if this happens. I would go all the way to the top!

You would think they would rather be skull drug by Louisiana instead of being skull drug by a directional school

Quote Originally Posted by tetragrammaton View Post
    It's a policy of the UL system. But it says nothing about referring to yourself as "Louisiana".

http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/.e_policies.pdf

Tabby is upset about a team that HER team did not even play last night because of some TV exposure. Whatever. After the crap they said to us before we waxed that team's rear end last year, nothing would make me happier than for a nice victory against them here, and for the rest of ULM's community to tell her to just give it up.
    So, all we have to do to comply with that and brand effectively is to avoid acronyms altogether, and never use the word "university.". The SID and the athletic dept have done exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    And by "our leaders", I am referring to political, not at the University . but I hope/trust they will do the right thing every time!
    How about for homecoming the university or someone or individuals make signs saying WE ARE LOUISIANA. In red and white. Cc

I spent the night in Munro last night. Woke up this morning in this story is the front page story. It has really gotten these peoples craw that we are now called Louisiana

Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 . LastLast

Thread Information