Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

No need for namecalling guys!

(hi.yo!)

How about we started Chane with our joke of a local news paper? How can we expect a national organization like espn to meet our requests when our local newspaper routinely refers to us by ull, UL Lafayette, etc.?

Coodos on the article DA , now lea the charge.

3. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by tetragrammaton View Post
    It's a policy of the UL system. But it says nothing about referring to yourself as "Louisiana".

http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/.e_policies.pdf
    Exactly the only caveat in the whole deal is "University of"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the article and headline are libelous? It doesn't just allege that UL violates state law, it states it as fact. And as we all know this is completely untrue.

It's funny because in the article people argue that there SHOULD be a law against it, and the only source who actually claims it's a violation is some random ULM fan. I'm pretty sure UL could win an easy defamation suit against the News-Star.

Any lawyers care to chime in on this?
    lol, it looks like they changed the headline this morning after I pointed out the libel. Idiots.

Default Re: Cajuns fight to be 'Louisiana'

If I am not mistaken, every University on this list with the exception of UL-Monroe and UL does NOT have the "at City" stated as part of their official name on their diplomas. Example: McNeese State University as opposed to McNeese State University at Lake Charles. Isn't that illegal?

Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

I have often heard people say that any publicity is good publicity! This may actually help in the long run because it brings the issue to the forefront! When we refer to our University as UL or Louisiana, the haters out there like to say "who is UL" or "I didn't know Louisville played last night", etc. However, the fact of the matter is that EVERYONE in Louisiana knows who is being talked about when using the terms UL or Louisiana!!!!!! They just can't bring themselves to say it or admit it!!!

7. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I have often heard people say that any publicity is good publicity! This may actually help in the long run because it brings the issue to the forefront! When we refer to our University as UL or Louisiana, the haters out there like to say "who is UL" or "I didn't know Louisville played last night", etc. However, the fact of the matter is that EVERYONE in Louisiana knows who is being talked about when using the terms UL or Louisiana!!!!!! They just can't bring themselves to say it or admit it!!!
    I agree, good marketing.

As usual good marketing starts on the front porch.

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet. If we want to be Louisiana.we need to do the heavy lifting of making it known how asinine the dissemination that goes on with what we want to be called is. Nothing will happen if we don't get the word out and make it abundantly clear that we want to be branded as Louisiana Ragin Cajuns.

Last night.Eye On College Sports was tweeting about our game. They used ULL one time.I tweeted asking to be called Louisiana and I know I wasn't the only one. The remaining tweets about the game labeled us as Ragin Cajuns. Fine by me. I can live with that. And we don't have to be rude about it.but we need to press the issue. If you see it being done.let them know what we want to be called.

Default Re: Cajuns fight to be 'Louisiana'

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    If I am not mistaken, every University on this list with the exception of UL-Monroe and UL does NOT have the "at City" stated as part of their official name on their diplomas. Example: McNeese State University as opposed to McNeese State University at Lake Charles. Isn't that illegal?
    I wonder what would happen if our representatives pushed this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The law is very clear on this.

The only time you have to use "Lafayette" is when you precede the word "Louisiana" with the phrase "University of"

Other than that instance, the stand alone word "Louisiana" make no claims.
    Everyone:
    As someone who has worked with both the State and Federal Legislative bodies, the quote from State Sen. Francis Thompson, D-Delhi makes me nervous:

".Thompson., who served in the House when it was passed, believes UL is violating the intent of the law."

“It’s a definite abuse, and it needs addressing,” said Thompson, who helped draft the bill. “The time may have come when the Louisiana board needs to address it.”

I was at USL in 1984 when we complied with all of the laws, regulations and procedures and changed our name to UL - only to have the current law passed retroactively by mostly LSU grad legislators to put us "back in our place." I have despised LSU and all things LSU ever since. There cannot be a stronger supporter of the LOUISIANA name for UL than I.
    I aslo COMPLETELY agree that using "Louisiana" and "UL" in NO way violates the existing law.

HOWEVER, working with the Congress and (to a lesser extent) the LA legislature over the past 30 years, I painfully understand that these bodies can do what they want to make changes to laws in order to "fix" any "unintended interpretations" or "abuses of loopholes." They do it all the time. All is required is enough Northern LA legislators aligned with BR and NOLA legislators -- and they amend the law to "fix this loophole."

This makes me very nervous.

Dont have a solution to my concern -- but I am concerned with this article in Monrow and the attention it is getting from Northern LA politicians and other people of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Exactly the only caveat in the whole deal is "University of"
    The common denominator of all schools is "no use of University" in their branding. Texas, Michigan, Florida, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, etc. etc. And schools like Fresno State (Cal State Fresno) and Virginia Tech (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University) use the shortened name academically as well. Louisiana is in great company.

12. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Everyone:
    As someone who has worked with both the State and Federal Legislative bodies, the quote from State Sen. Francis Thompson, D-Delhi makes me nervous:

".Thompson., who served in the House when it was passed, believes UL is violating the intent of the law."

“It’s a definite abuse, and it needs addressing,” said Thompson, who helped draft the bill. “The time may have come when the Louisiana board needs to address it.”

I was at USL in 1984 when we complied with all of the laws, regulations and procedures and changed our name to UL - only to have the current law passed retroactively by mostly LSU grad legislators to put us "back in our place." I have despised LSU and all things LSU ever since. There cannot be a stronger supporter of the LOUISIANA name for UL than I.
    I aslo COMPLETELY agree that using "Louisiana" and "UL" in NO way violates the existing law.

HOWEVER, working with the Congress and (to a lesser extent) the LA legislature over the past 30 years, I painfully understand that these bodies can do what they want to make changes to laws in order to "fix" any "unintended interpretations" or "abuses of loopholes." They do it all the time. All is required is enough Northern LA legislators aligned with BR and NOLA legislators -- and they amend the law to "fix this loophole."

Dont have a solution to my concern -- but I am concerned with this article in Monrow and the attention it is getting from Northern LA politicians and other people of interest
    Holley Beach: "We are Louisiana"

Ragin' Cajuns: "We are Louisiana"

Neither is literal, both are true.

A halfway decent lawyer and this (feared) affront would never stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    Everyone:

If they FIX the loophole, move for a name change. As Basin Bear said, change to Louisiana University, so there is no confusion on our being remotely considered the Flagship of the UL System. It is something we should have done anyway. All of this could have been avoided with just the tiniest bit of vision by Dr. Authement.

14. Default Re: Opponents View: ULL branding practice of losing 'Lafayette' violates law, creates false ima

Wait---Louisiana University and just drop the University and be Louisiana!!! NoI will not quit the fight, but it goes on and we must be TOGETHER on this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    If they FIX the loophole, move for a name change. As Basin Bear said, change to Louisiana University, so there is no confusion on our being remotely considered the Flagship of the UL System. It is something we should have done anyway. All of this could have been avoided with just the tiniest bit of vision by Dr. Authement.
    I agree. La politics and jealously are lethal combinations. I like Louisiana University just fine, but could we get it done?

Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 . LastLast

Thread Information