Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

Default Re: guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by DTD343 View Post
    Someone send it to Davis
    Everyone from ESPN has a production meeting with Brian McCann before the broadcast. John McElwain is at that game and he will make sure ESPN gets that memo. Davis will still do what Bristol says.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    In conversations I have had with ESPN producers, they have cited the Louisiana government guidelines that state the city tag must be attached when referring to the school
    I've looked at that statute. Yeah, it's there. But there is no fine, penalty, or other punitive measure for referring to it in any way you want.

I'm reminded of a school called the University of Mississippi. anyone remember what they are called?

3. Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

If I may suggest, it might be prudent to back off a little bit on all of the emails and phone calls that we now send to ESPN regarding referring to us properly.

Now that the league office is out of it, we can get things done, but not if we continue to bombard the ESPN guys.

Joe Davis is not the enemy here. He is a good guy trapped in the middle of this.

Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

The only name that matters is being called winner when the night is over. I don't care if they ULL us all night long as long as we win. Being called Louisiana is meaningless if we do not win the game and in fact will cause us to look foolish if we do not win as our focus will have been misplaced. Fortunately, I am sure Coach Hud and the team are not worried about this issue, but are zeroed in on what it takes to defeat the Red Wolves. That should also be where we as a a fanbase should put our energy for the next few hours.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

In conversations I have had with ESPN producers.
    Wow. "you" got this done?

, I keep wondering, "what's the real reason?" .

My answer.Remember when we went to Omaha? Remember what ESPN called us the first couple of days? They called us Louisiana all of the time. They listed us as Louisiana on the TV. Then, they stopped. They stopped because of the flooding of complaints they were receiving from LSU and their minions.

Ever since then we have gotten the shaft from ESPN regarding our name. I believe it is because ESPN will always side with their cash cows, schools like LSU.

I'm kind of to the point I'd rather our athletic department and university concentrate more on building a successful athletic program than worry about the name thing so much.

Win enough nationally televised games, keep an undefeated bowl record, beat some BCS schools, and they'll start calling us what we want.

So while I may get labeled a debbie-downer, if we win tonight, I'll be happy regardless what they call us. If it ends up being a repeat of last year, they can call us Louisiana all night, and I honestly won't give a rat's ___.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If I may suggest, it might be prudent to back off a little bit on all of the emails and phone calls that we now send to ESPN regarding referring to us properly.

Now that the league office is out of it, we can get things done, but not if we continue to bombard the ESPN guys.

Joe Davis is not the enemy here. He is a good guy trapped in the middle of this.
    I don't know with whom you have been speaking, but the ones with whom I've been speaking, while sounding cordial, have not given any inkling that they are receptive to changing their stance.

I'm sure many will have some difficulty believing this, but the problem has been less with the conference and Monroe than it has been ESPN, although they have been a part of the problem. In conversations I have had with ESPN producers, they have cited the Louisiana government guidelines that state the city tag must be attached when referring to the school, the fact that we are listed on the Sun Belt website as Louisiana-Lafayette, and the fact that there is another school in Louisiana and in the same conference with a similar identity as the reasons why they call us Louisiana-Lafayette and ULL. They have apologized (yeah, right) for the Lafayette only references and that they will work on curtailing that.

Just as representatives from the university have told them, I, too, have reminded them that there are other schools (Tennessee-Knoxville, Tennessee-Martin, Tennessee-Chattanooga, California-Berkeley, California-Los Angeles, Nevada-Reno, Nevada-Las Vegas, Texas-Austin, Texas-San Antonio, etc.) that are known by other nicknames than the full name of the school, and we are seeking the same consideration. They have been told that Monroe has willingly branded itself as ULM and Louisiana-Monroe, and they should check their game notes on the games ESPN has done of ULM to verify that. They have been told that the guidelines they so fear (possible lawsuit) have no authority over them whatsoever and they are free to call us what they want without fear of repercussions. The conference, specifically since Benson became commissioner, has told them (verbal) that ESPN is welcome to call us what we want, they are not requiring ESPN to call us ULL, Louisiana-Lafayette or any other name. Now that the SBC has put it in writing, maybe Bristol will pay attention.

I will tell you that I have received various answers for why ESPN calls us what they do. The latest is that they don't want to create any confusion nationally with the other Louisiana school in the conference. Each time I get a different answer, I keep wondering, "what's the real reason?" It's easy to blame Monroe, the SBC, LSU, our lack of notoriety or national appeal or identity or a host of other reasons, but I will take great satisfaction in knowing that there are more people battling on our side now in every realm, politically, academically and athletically. I know we are impatient, we want results right away, but all the victories will be ours and they will be sweet.

I spoke to my friend who is the associate director of the Sun Belt conference and he just about echoes everything said here. He swears that the Sun Belt has always said "it's cool, call them what they want." But ESPN has their own agendas and when word got out on Twitter, they just wanted to make it abudantly clear.

He also saiddont hold your breath in thinking ESPN will suddenly roll over, they will still do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The only name that matters is being called winner when the night is over. I don't care if they ULL us all night long as long as we win. Being called Louisiana is meaningless if we do not win the game and in fact will cause us to look foolish if we do not win as our focus will have been misplaced. Fortunately, I am sure Coach Hud and the team are not worried about this issue, but are zeroed in on what it takes to defeat the Red Wolves. That should also be where we as a a fanbase should put our energy for the next few hours.
    This, and thislets focus on the game and see what ESPN does tonight. Our players and coaches are in full battle mode by now.we should do the sameeven if we are not at the game tonight or watching at the local sports bar.EVERYONE.I MEAN EVERYONE wear Ragin' RED tonight.Geaux Cajuns!!!!! This one is ours!!!!!

11. Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

Winning and promoting Lafayette College at the same time is not an option.

12. Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

I don't know with whom you have been speaking, but the ones with whom I've been speaking, while sounding cordial, have not given any inkling that they are receptive to changing their stance.
    Let them soak in the new SBC stance.

I have what I think to be justified confidence in the UL SID to distribute the message properly.

I am not saying 100% desired results will occur on such short notice tonight, but combined with the fan effort over the last week, I think the Midas touch from the SID would be most effective tonight.

jmo

Ragin' Cajuns Re: guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656 View Post
    I spoke to my friend who is the associate director of the Sun Belt conference and he just about echoes everything said here. He swears that the Sun Belt has always said .."it's cool, call them what they want." But ESPN has their own agendas and when word got out on Twitter, they just wanted to make it abudantly clear.

He also saiddont hold your breath in thinking ESPN will suddenly roll over, they will still do what they want.
    Am I the only one who sees "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" after the bolded quote? If the Conference was REALLY ok with Louisiana for us, they would have changed their website long ago, and sent out memos to all media outlets that the only acceptable branding is "Louisiana".

This little leak today is just to shut us up for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656 View Post
    I spoke to my friend who is the associate director of the Sun Belt conference and he just about echoes everything said here. He swears that the Sun Belt has always said "it's cool, call them what they want." But ESPN has their own agendas and when word got out on Twitter, they just wanted to make it abudantly clear.

True, but they wont be able to hide behind "the conference made us do it" excuse.

And their "we dont want anyone to be confused because of two schools in the same region or conference" flies in the face of their use of UNLV and Nevada. I don't think too many folks are confused about the diffeence between the Running Rebels and the Wolfpack. I wonder if Joe Davis called any Nevada games?

Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread Information