Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: 2013 Staking a Claim for Louisiana

1. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Joe Davis and David Diaz-Infante

Exposed and embarrassed the Sun Belt defers to ESPN and the universities in question. How refreshing!

I want to put out a HUGE, HUGE thank you to those guys who protested, and created the controversy. Some told them to play nice for the 8 millionth time.

Way to go guys, you know who you are, too many to mention by name.

2. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: guess we will see

No doubt the few nights, or games we get on the SunBelt Network we will get drilled with Lafayette. We read in the bible that Jesus said a prophet is least respected in his own village. The village is becoming more and more isolated.

Geaux Louisiana.

Default Re: guess we will see

Winning tonite makes it much more real.

VICTORY!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Joe Davis and David Diaz-Infante

Hopefully, it's

Attached Images Attached Images  

We need to have the thread title changed for more clicks. Some may not even click on this

"Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    We need to have the thread title changed for more clicks. Some may not even click on this

"Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name"
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    VICTORY!!!
    Don't pull out the cigars yet Winston. Let's see if ESPN actually does something about it.

Default Re: Sun Belt gives ESPN reign on UL name

Has anyone posted this on the Sunbelt Board??? Have to keep those Mods busy this afternoon ; )

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We read in the bible that Jesus said a prophet is least respected in his own village

Geaux Louisiana.
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Has anyone posted this on the Sunbelt Board??? Have to keep those Mods busy this afternoon ; )
    Why? So if they Lafayette us to death we look like jackasses

Shouldn't it be "rein"? or "reins"? Just sayin'.

I'm sure many will have some difficulty believing this, but the problem has been less with the conference and Monroe than it has been ESPN, although they have been a part of the problem. In conversations I have had with ESPN producers, they have cited the Louisiana government guidelines that state the city tag must be attached when referring to the school, the fact that we are listed on the Sun Belt website as Louisiana-Lafayette, and the fact that there is another school in Louisiana and in the same conference with a similar identity as the reasons why they call us Louisiana-Lafayette and ULL. They have apologized (yeah, right) for the Lafayette only references and that they will work on curtailing that.

Just as representatives from the university have told them, I, too, have reminded them that there are other schools (Tennessee-Knoxville, Tennessee-Martin, Tennessee-Chattanooga, California-Berkeley, California-Los Angeles, Nevada-Reno, Nevada-Las Vegas, Texas-Austin, Texas-San Antonio, etc.) that are known by other nicknames than the full name of the school, and we are seeking the same consideration. They have been told that Monroe has willingly branded itself as ULM and Louisiana-Monroe, and they should check their game notes on the games ESPN has done of ULM to verify that. They have been told that the guidelines they so fear (possible lawsuit) have no authority over them whatsoever and they are free to call us what they want without fear of repercussions. The conference, specifically since Benson became commissioner, has told them (verbal) that ESPN is welcome to call us what we want, they are not requiring ESPN to call us ULL, Louisiana-Lafayette or any other name. Now that the SBC has put it in writing, maybe Bristol will pay attention.

I will tell you that I have received various answers for why ESPN calls us what they do. The latest is that they don't want to create any confusion nationally with the other Louisiana school in the conference. Each time I get a different answer, I keep wondering, "what's the real reason?" It's easy to blame Monroe, the SBC, LSU, our lack of notoriety or national appeal or identity or a host of other reasons, but I will take great satisfaction in knowing that there are more people battling on our side now in every realm, politically, academically and athletically. I know we are impatient, we want results right away, but all the victories will be ours and they will be sweet.

"Has anyone posted this on the Sunbelt Board??? Have to keep those Mods busy this afternoon ; ) "

Done

Default Re: Joe Davis and David Diaz-Infante

Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information