Thread: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

1. UL Football Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

After a 48-27 loss earlier this month at Kansas State, UL coach Mark Hudspeth wondered if his Ragin’ Cajuns perhaps were suffering from what he called “dead-legs syndrome” – brought on by overwork in practice.

That certainly wasn’t the case in last Saturday night’s 70-7 win over Nicholls State

2. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Man I along with so many over such a long time have tried to figure this out---how much is too much and how much is not enough---I have played and or just practiced where say your legs were dead and at times felt like I could jump over the moon and chase down a comet---Why???Acid build up or what---I remember the day I went to the Saints camp my leg was just dead and days before hitting on 50 yarders ---Too much for the real test too soon---I would imagine everybody on here has gone through this and have seen the coaches use it mostly for excuses on poor play---So you cut it back and then they play bad and you go kick their butt and the cycle starts anew!!!! Very difficult and I think with the 3 "week day" games the task becomes even more perplexing!!!!

3. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    After a 48-27 loss earlier this month at Kansas State, UL coach Mark Hudspeth wondered if his Ragin' Cajuns perhaps were suffering from what he called "dead-legs syndrome" – brought on by overwork in practice.

That certainly wasn't the case in last Saturday night's 70-7 win over Nicholls State

The writing in the Battle of the names in this article is not true. For thoses of us who live out of state and watch the game via ESPN3 know.

During most of the first quarter, there were techinal difficulity with the sound from ESPN3. We could watch the game but not listen to the announcers. When we finally got sound, the announcers called us UL and Louisiana all night.

This crap that they Lafayetted us to death is just not true!!

I give credit where credit is due. I am sure Tim Buckley nor Brian McCann were not watching ESPN3.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Man I along with so many over such a long time have tried to figure this out---how much is too much and how much is not enough---I have played and or just practiced where say your legs were dead and at times felt like I could jump over the moon and chase down a comet---Why???Acid build up or what---I remember the day I went to the Saints camp my leg was just dead and days before hitting on 50 yarders ---Too much for the real test too soon---I would imagine everybody on here has gone through this and have seen the coaches use it mostly for excuses on poor play---So you cut it back and then they play bad and you go kick their butt and the cycle starts anew!!!! Very difficult and I think with the 3 "week day" games the task becomes even more perplexing!!!!
    The trick is to do enough work in days leading up to keep your natural painkillers flowing, but not enough to be tired. Endurance athletes know that a complete rest week often leads to dead legs at the end of the week. That's because the body stops making all the natural painkillers it was when you were training hard and goes into restoration mode. So in the week leading up to a race you do some hard efforts, but cut the overall volume of work down. There has been a lot of work done in the endurance racing world (running, cycling, triathlon) trying to quantify workload and how to manage the taper. I'm sure that will start (if it isn't already) creeping into other sports like football. In fact it may be a place where a team can find one of those little advantages that often make the difference.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    The writing in the Battle of the names in this article is not true. For thoses of us who live out of state and watch the game via ESPN3 know.

During most of the first quarter, there were techinal difficulity with the sound from ESPN3. We could watch the game but not listen to the announcers. When we finally got sound, the announcers called us UL and Louisiana all night.

I give credit where credit is due. I am sure Tim Buckley nor Brian McCann were not watching ESPN3.
    I actually watched and listened to the broadcast and heard a number of Lafayette's.

6. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post

I rewatched the game yesterday and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have listened to games in the past where not a single Louisiana was used, this was not one of them.

In this game they went through streaks that included both ends of the spectrum.

7. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Yea but T-Bine there is only one end to the rectum!!! And we don't want any trash talk coming out!!!

8. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns may rest again

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    The trick is to do enough work in days leading up to keep your natural painkillers flowing, but not enough to be tired. Endurance athletes know that a complete rest week often leads to dead legs at the end of the week. That's because the body stops making all the natural painkillers it was when you were training hard and goes into restoration mode. So in the week leading up to a race you do some hard efforts, but cut the overall volume of work down. There has been a lot of work done in the endurance racing world (running, cycling, triathlon) trying to quantify workload and how to manage the taper. I'm sure that will start (if it isn't already) creeping into other sports like football. In fact it may be a place where a team can find one of those little advantages that often make the difference.
    ---Oh great post--but I am sure that this has been studied ad nauseum for football---But the variables involved become an important factor---Of prime importance is the repetition of running and getting the timing down on executing plays----How much hitting of what kind??? what about the need to keep the weight resistance work to not lose strength??? NOt enough to screw with T-Bine's muscle memory (LOL)----And what about the Whittisms??? Just a tough call with the long term grind of the August through December season!!!

Thread Information