Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Candidates 6 years ago? (2001)

1. Default Re: Candidates 6 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Turbine I was looking for the names of the other candidates when Bustle was hired in 2002? not when Baldwin was hired.
    Sorry

2001:
    Bobby Wallace - Temple head coach
    Clint Conque - Central Arkansas head coach
    Ricky Bustle - Virginia Tech Offensive Coordinatior

and yes Blakeney and Cook were in the mix.

Geaux Cajuns

Default Re: Candidates 6 years ago?

From what I've been reading one of the defenses of Bustle is that we are young, and that next year we will be better. Well, I look at it this wayif that is true, than after this season would be a good time to recruit an up and coming head coach. He will not have to come into a situation with no talent, and he will have a experienced QB. He will just be expected to do more with what he has and continue improving recruiting. I think the collapse last year coupled with the inability to put a competitive team onthe field 6 years into a tenure are cause for us to look elsewhere. There is another Rich Rodriguez, Mike Leach, etc out there. If we find him, we will winif not we'll be having this same conversation in 5 years.

Conque is intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    _ Conque is intriguing. _
    VERY intriguing.

He's my choice.

I think Bustle did about the best he could with the situation he was given. He laid a good foundation(full roster), but I believe he's taken it as far as he can.

This would be an excellent time to pass the baton. We would get a HUGE bump in recruiting, and get another one when all of the young guys playing now are Jr and Sr.

Then, I don't think there woul'd be much of a lull anyway with Desmo and Fenroy.

UL Football Re: Candidates 6 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ VERY intriguing.

He's my choice.

I think Bustle did about the best he could with the situation he was given. He laid a good foundation(full roster), but I believe he's taken it as far as he can.

This would be an excellent time to pass the baton. We would get a HUGE bump in recruiting, and get another one when all of the young guys playing now are Jr and Sr.

Then, I don't think there woul'd be much of a lull anyway with Desmo and Fenroy. _
    Before we annoint Mr. Conque as our savior, why don't we wait until he has won more than the heart of Robert Trahan's daughter? Not saying he's a bad coach, just saying that he hasn't won in the Southland yet, and that hiring him now would REEK of 'good ole boy' politics.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ Before we annoint Mr. Conque as our savior, why don't we wait until he has won more than the heart of Robert Trahan's daughter? Not saying he's a bad coach, just saying that he hasn't won in the Southland yet, and that hiring him now would REEK of 'good ole boy' politics. _
    VO, you are the 3rd guy that has said that to me this week. The thing about he hasn't won a title yet.

Hmmmmm.

Sounds like you guys got your stories straight already huh?

I'll tell you the same thing I told Guru.

In the last 2 weeks, he's played the '04 SLC Champs and the '05 SLC Champs.

In those games, UCA has amassed 61 first downs, 1138 total yards, and an average margin of victory of 49-17

In UCA's 1st year in 1-AA last season they finished the year RANKED.

IN UCA's 1st game vs a 1-A school, they dominated La Tech everywhere but the scoreboard.

Over the past season and a half, they have the second best record of any team in the SLC.

Of all of the 1-AA HC's that will apply for this job, if it's available, he will probably be the only one who already has 1-A OC experience and the only one that has actually built the program they are now coaching.

It's hard to have the little SLC trophy if you have never competed for it. This is their 1st year in the league.

The man has already proven he is a winner. Hiring him now would be the smart thing to do, and I have no idea what you're talking about with the politics reference.

Anyway, hiring a HC who actually has strong ties to the area would be something we haven't tried in a looooong time. We need this.

What's going on with Louie Cook? If I remember right, he wasn't interested last time. Any chance he's willing to take a crack at it if the job becomes open again, or is he content at Notre Dame? I assume he is, but he would definitely do wonders for our local recruiting, and he ain't too shabby as a coach, either.

This whole thread is making me angry again Dr. A, I beg you, please go away and let us move forward.

_ VERY intriguing.

He's my choice.

Then, I don't think there woul'd be much of a lull anyway with Desmo and Fenroy. _
    Chris Hatcher, Chris Hatcher, and Chris Hatcher that is the guy who I like. He is in his first year as a 1aa coach and is 4-2 with Georgia Southern.at Valdosta State he was 76-12 as the HC. He is a great Offensive mind, was the QB coach at Kentucky when Tim Couch was there and was the QB coach at Central Florida when Daunta Culpepper was there.

He is a young guy with great credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Chris Hatcher, Chris Hatcher, and Chris Hatcher that is the guy who I like. He is in his first year as a 1aa coach and is 4-2 with Georgia Southern.at Valdosta State he was 76-12 as the HC. He is a great Offensive mind, was the QB coach at Kentucky when Tim Couch was there and was the QB coach at Central Florida when Daunta Culpepper was there.

He is a young guy with great credentials. _
    Yep. Hatcher is going to be a good one.

But, in my mind they are both excellent options. So, why not go with the guy that is from the area?

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    _ What's going on with Louie Cook? If I remember right, he wasn't interested last time. Any chance he's willing to take a crack at it if the job becomes open again, or is he content at Notre Dame? I assume he is, but he would definitely do wonders for our local recruiting, and he ain't too shabby as a coach, either.

_
    I believe he might have taken the job last time. Only, I don't think we ever called him.

I would at least see how he feels about it.

_ I believe he might have taken the job last time. Only, I don't think we ever called him.

I would at least see how he feels about it. _
    Let me see if I can shed a little light.

1. Clint Conque was brought in for an interview. He wasn't offered the job, but was told what the job would pay, and parlayed it into a really nice raise at UCA.

2. Lewie Cook was definitely in the mix, in fact, many thought it might be his job to turn down. He took his name out of consideration after a meeting at the athletic complex.

3. Larry Blakeney, while a major candidate when Baldwin was hired, was less so this past time. By that time, Troy had agreed to move up to 1-A and join the Sun Belt, so it wouldn't have been a step up for him.

4. Bobby Wallace was considered, but his record at Temple really hurt his chances.

5. Rickey Bustle was the dark horse candidate at the beginning and quickly moved to the forefront once Lewie Cook took his name out.

Thar' you go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    What's going on with Louie Cook? If I remember right, he wasn't interested last time. Any chance he's willing to take a crack at it if the job becomes open again, or is he content at Notre Dame? I assume he is, but he would definitely do wonders for our local recruiting, and he ain't too shabby as a coach, either.

I believe he might have taken the job last time. Only, I don't think we ever called him.

I would at least see how he feels about it.
    Lou Cook is not going to leave Notre Dame. He is an administrator there and a very successful coach. My dad is personal friends with him, and he is NEVER going back to UL.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Lou Cook is not going to leave Notre Dame. He is an administrator there and a very successful coach. My dad is personal friends with him, and he is NEVER going back to UL.
    Yeah, I figured as much. But it's fun to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ Let me see if I can shed a little light.

1. Clint Conque was brought in for an interview. He wasn't offered the job, but was told what the job would pay, and parlayed it into a really nice raise at UCA.

2. Lewie Cook was definitely in the mix, in fact, many thought it might be his job to turn down. He took his name out of consideration after a meeting at the athletic complex.

3. Larry Blakeney, while a major candidate when Baldwin was hired, was less so this past time. By that time, Troy had agreed to move up to 1-A and join the Sun Belt, so it wouldn't have been a step up for him.

4. Bobby Wallace was considered, but his record at Temple really hurt his chances.

5. Rickey Bustle was the dark horse candidate at the beginning and quickly moved to the forefront once Lewie Cook took his name out.

Thar' you go!!! _
    Thanks.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that Cook meeting.

I'm not sure how old Lewie is, but, as I've stated before, if and when this job came open, our 1st contact should be with Coach Cook to see if he has any interest, and the 2nd call should be to Coach Conque.

Then, if we have to, give the young man in Lake Charles a shot. Heck, maybe he would bring his QB with him.

Why are people afraid of coaches looking to use their school as a stepping stone.

Other than Charlie Weatherbie who has ever parlayed a bad to middlin' performance into a step up?

Why do people want a lifetime coach?

I'd rather have someone come in get the train running right and go cash in than someone who is content to stay forever. Which guy is the one who is going to bust it? The one wanting to do good enough to stay or the guy looking to get rich?

My theory is that if a program is struggling that a lot of potentially good candidates don't apply because they are concerned that it will be too hard to win. Get some stepping-stone guy in who wins and suddenly its an attractive job. You are taking over a winner that is winning at a good enough pace to get an even better job. The guy who wouldn't touch a losing program offering $300,000 a year might just be tempted by a winning program offering $250,000 because the upside risk is good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information