Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Band Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    C'mon Boomer! Again, they're NOT playing it WRONG, you just hear ALL the parts. Our trumpet section in the 70's was SO dominate that all you heard was melody!
    That being said, Kudos to Dr. Melley and the PoA for an AWESOME debut night!! VERY similar to Jim Goodman taking over the band in 1971. The band now has attitude because HE has attitude!! I'm a VERY proud alum this morning!!
    Yes, we were!!!!!

Default Re: Band Upgrades?

Ok, who is the Ritter legend?????

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I loved the Fleur de lis (sic) formation during the pre-game show.
    Me too!

I'd like to see us keep this pregame and make it a tradition. The band for so many years kept changing things around

UL Football Re: Band Upgrades?

They looked great!

Attached Images Attached Images    

5. Default Re: Band Upgrades?

Somebody please explain Mike
    Ritter to the R-Pagin guys!!!

This is a youtube video of the Pride of Acadiana pregame show for the Nichols Game.

this is part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbaypAP2ro

this is part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf7duoAbQds

Ritter was a unique individual for sure.

my dad was Ritter first band teacher at edgar martin elementary. he was proud to watch him perform at halftime

We had a get-together of Alumni Band members from the 1970's Wed night at Pete's. Two of our folks are doing video work for the PoA, and they told us we will see a MUCH more energetic band than in the past. Also, their numbers are up to 270, which is I think the largest in school history! VERY anxious to see our "new and improved' band!!
    Wow, thanks for that 270#, I was wondering what the Pride of Acadiana was up to?! I understand that Dr Savoie wants it at least 300, have you heard this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Somebody please explain Mike
    Ritter to the R-Pagin guys!!!
    Mike Ritter and I joined the PoA in 1975. He from Acadiana H/S, and me from Lafayette High. Back in the 1970's, the band was LOADED with "screamers" in the trumpet section, and Jim Goodman showcased them in the music he chose for us. Ritter was the absolute KING. If anyone on this board is familiar with Maynard Ferguson or Bill Chase--THAT'S Ritter!! There hasn't been anyone since that could touch him in that department. In fact, when we were playing in the Jazz Ensemble, we got to open a concert for Maynard Ferguson. Jim programmed several Ferguson tunes to feature Ritter. Maynard actually walked backstage to listen to him, and later invited him on stage during HIS set!! He even offered Mike a gig with this band!! FYI--he's STILL in town, playing with First Class, and is a middle school band director in New Iberia!

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    Ritter would definitely have the most years lettered!! LOL
    You might be surprised to know that he DOESN'T hold the record! Manny Fuentes began a year BEFORE Ritter!

11. Default Re: Band Upgrades?

So my question to all you "Has Beens" on here---Why don't you guys kick up the Alumni Band again???----A great thing would be to do the B-ball games when the semester is not in session---Hell jam at a baseball game ----Do a Downtown alive session

Mike Ritter and I joined the PoA in 1975. He from Acadiana H/S, and me from Lafayette High. Back in the 1970's, the band was LOADED with "screamers" in the trumpet section, and Jim Goodman showcased them in the music he chose for us. Ritter was the absolute KING. If anyone on this board is familiar with Maynard Ferguson or Bill Chase--THAT'S Ritter!! There hasn't been anyone since that could touch him in that department. In fact, when we were playing in the Jazz Ensemble, we got to open a concert for Maynard Ferguson. Jim programmed several Ferguson tunes to feature Ritter. Maynard actually walked backstage to listen to him, and later invited him on stage during HIS set!! He even offered Mike a gig with this band!! FYI--he's STILL in town, playing with First Class, and is a middle school band director in New Iberia!
    I forgot about Manny. I also forgot about the Maynard Ferguson thing happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    So my question to all you "Has Beens" on here---Why don't you guys kick up the Alumni Band again???----A great thing would be to do the B-ball games when the semester is not in session---Hell jam at a baseball game ----Do a Downtown alive session
    Boomer, we HAVE done the BBall thing in the pastthis is the dealfor YEARS, when I was active in the PoA, the Alumni Band was a joke. They'd get together for homecoming and make a block on the field and play a few marches, etc. After Mr. Goodman was no longer directing the PoA, those of us in his inner circle got him to agree to direct the Alumni Band so we could do a REAL show for homecoming. When everyone learned he was in charge, we got over 200 to commit to it. While we just did VERY simple drill, but we had all our "horses" from the 1970's playing, and it was someting to hear. Unfortunately for us, the gentleman who was the band director at the time didn't take kindly to the fact the we "embarrassed" his band, so we were "persona non grata,"after that, and when Dr. Taylor was hired, HE was told about the "evil" alumni, so it's been strained. Fortunately, Dr. Melley is starting fresh and has an open-door policy for us alums, so we'll see what happens.

Boomer, we HAVE done the BBall thing in the pastthis is the dealfor YEARS, when I was active in the PoA, the Alumni Band was a joke. They'd get together for homecoming and make a block on the field and play a few marches, etc. After Mr. Goodman was no longer directing the PoA, those of us in his inner circle got him to agree to direct the Alumni Band so we could do a REAL show for homecoming. When everyone learned he was in charge, we got over 200 to commit to it. While we just did VERY simple drill, but we had all our "horses" from the 1970's playing, and it was someting to hear. Unfortunately for us, the gentleman who was the band director at the time didn't take kindly to the fact the we "embarrassed" his band, so we were "persona non grata,"after that, and when Dr. Taylor was hired, HE was told about the "evil" alumni, so it's been strained. Fortunately, Dr. Melley is starting fresh and has an open-door policy for us alums, so we'll see what happens.
    I believe it was 1994. Had just moved from Vegas to San Antonio, so finally close enough to make the trip. Thank God my son was learning to play trumpet at the time so I had been playing!
    Sadly you are right. That day we were in fact better than the PoA.
    As for Ritter, he was a year behind me. But recalled seeing him at the USL/Alabama game in 84 I think; still playing. So that was year 10! LOL

15. Default Re: Band Upgrades?

Well just out of curiosity who would head this up to get it rolling---How about Gerald Guilbeau??? and Hell you guys have so many teachers!!! BTW where is my all time UL band members--I got Ritter correct I think!!!lol

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information