Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Band Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Ritter was a unique trumpet player, that's for sure. I took private trumpet lessons from Will Green and Marc Schomerus (both when they were at UL and I was in grade school and high school). Will is one outstanding trumpet player. Very clean and pure player. Ritter was ahead of me at Acadiana (no overlap). But, in the greatest days I've witnessed of PoA. Ritter was the greatest volume and range (screecher) of all time. in the UL band. That dude could put a hurt on a trumpet. He loved to carry over a high note on every single tune. right or wrong.

Ritter was playing a screaching solo to the student section in the late 70's. Someone was blowing a whistle in the crowd. Ritter spotted the guy with the whistle and stopped his solo, pointed the guy out, and was about ready to go up into the stands and flatten him. Dude had balls

Default Re: Band Upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    Looks like our new band director may have put in some long needed songs on each of the downs.

Ragin' Cajun Cheer (@RaginCajunCheer) tweeted at 4:04 PM on Thu, Sep 12, 2013:Ragin Cajuns football is HOME! The band will play cheers when the Cajuns are on offense 1st, 2nd & 3rd downs so try to cheer with us!

https://twitter.com/RaginCajunCheer/.62816605478913
    This is welcome news!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Ritter was playing a screaching solo to the student section in the late 70's. Someone was blowing a whistle in the crowd. Ritter spotted the guy with the whistle and stopped his solo, pointed the guy out, and was about ready to go up into the stands and flatten him. Dude had balls
    He'd clear out the section and tear that guy a new whistle hole. No one would want to be on the wrong side of Ritter in those days.

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    He'd clear out the section and tear that guy a new whistle hole. No one would want to be on the wrong side of Ritter in those days.
    The band brought energy from the beginning of the game!!!!! They came out of tunnel with a hop in their step. They even kept playing well into the 4th qtr when all the fair weather fans left and the atmosphere would normally be dead. I was impressed.

Major props to the band. Finally!!!

The band sounded great all night. I love how the play according to the situation. I really like the one on after a defensive stop.

6. Default Re: Band Upgrades?

Besides my normal gripe of the fight song being wrong----I wish that after the game they would just jam for a little while the players finished their walk around the stadium!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Besides my normal gripe of the fight song being wrong----I wish that after the game they would just jam for a little while the players finished their walk around the stadium!!!
    C'mon Boomer! Again, they're NOT playing it WRONG, you just hear ALL the parts. Our trumpet section in the 70's was SO dominate that all you heard was melody!
    That being said, Kudos to Dr. Melley and the PoA for an AWESOME debut night!! VERY similar to Jim Goodman taking over the band in 1971. The band now has attitude because HE has attitude!! I'm a VERY proud alum this morning!!

I'm not a band expert so ill limits comment to: it was much better than the past few years. I really liked the way they came out to start the game. Halftime show was improved too. Congrats to all involved.

Pre game was great

I think the "give him cornbread" on our 2nd or 3rd downs is FANTASTIC

WOW! The upbeat coming out of the tunnel was amazing! What a step! I was so happy to see the change in the band, all the way around. I was a bit uncomfortable for them in this sun and heat, but they seem to be troopers! Congratulations to the band and it's directors. Yeah, we want more!

Sounded great in the stands and pregame. If I had to guess, they did not spend much time on the halftime show.

Really big time look with the uniforms as compared to the t-shirts

I loved the Fleur de lis (sic) formation during the pre-game show.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    If there was an all time UL band who would be selected??? My favorite guy would be Mike Ritter as the trumpet guy and Brett Darby would be the best Sax dude---ooooppps sorry Z!!!! But guys who would the best be??? What about my boy Chad Fouquier as best all around musician--he did the base, guitar, harmony, etc for my CD!!!
    Ritter would definitely have the most years lettered!! LOL

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information