The Houma The Courier
Jon T. Stewart

Vandebilt Catholic’s Adam White has a lot to be thankful for.

Just before the end of the Terriers’ season, White signed a scholarship to play ball at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, something he didn’t think was possible when he first began his high school career.

“It’s a great honor,” says White. “I’m real happy about it, going to (a NCAA) Division I college.”

The other thing he can be thankful for is the way he got the scholarship.
It all started a year ago when Ed Daigle, who coaches White during the American Legion season with USI Coastal Insurance, just happened to be talking with someone who takes a strong interest in high school baseball players.

“I talked to Wade Simoneaux, who’s the assistant coach at ULL and I’ve seen Wade like every year just hawking the parks, looking for players,” Daigle recalls. “I just got to talking to him two years ago about Adam, thinking he might develop into their type of player.”

Daigle, along with USI Coastal Insurance assistant coach Butch Theriot, then decided to go a step farther.

“So I gave him a call and dropped him a little letter and then Butch Theriot and I got on a conference call with him and we told him we thought Adam was his kind of player,” tells Daigle. “A kid who can run, a kid who can hit, a kid who can throw. And he was excited about getting another player over there and I think he wants to make a little connection with this area. He’s interested in a few other players down here so we’ve kind of developed a little relationship with these boys.”

But a not-so-funny thing happened along the way that almost derailed the entire thing.

“In our first district game last year, he broke his arm diving for a ball in the outfield and had to sit the rest of the year and he was tearing up the ball up at that point,” remembers Daigle.

. . . the REST of the STORY