Thread: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

1. Default Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

The UL Ragin’ Cajuns “definitely” plan to play and take the redshirt off at least three true freshmen this season, head coach Mark Hudspeth said Monday.

“Anybody that can help us this year, we’re gonna play ’em,” Hudspeth said.

2. Default Re: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

In preseason I'm still of the mindset that you put the redshirt on at the start of the season.

In the regular season you take it off.

Default Re: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    The UL Ragin' Cajuns "definitely" plan to play and take the redshirt off at least three true freshmen this season, head coach Mark Hudspeth said Monday.

"Anybody that can help us this year, we're gonna play 'em," Hudspeth said.

Huds recruiting is bringing in upgrades each year. Freshmen will play.

4. Default Re: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

We pull the red shirts off two ,three, or more every year. This is not new or unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In preseason I'm still of the mindset that you put the redshirt on at the start of the season.

In the regular season you take it off.
    I think if you feel you have a chance to, or are told you will play it will drive more effort and desire to get better as a freshman. Nothing wrong with the mental boost you get knowing you could be one of the guys to earn a spot ahead of time

It can go from "I'll get to play this year" to "I could be the starter"

6. Default Re: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

I just have a problem with the phraseology of saying "pulled off" in the preseason. It sounds like auto redshirt and emergency play instead of every frosh player has a chance to prove himself. Every freshmen should have a chance to compete and the language should match.

I'm of the mindset that you put the redshirt on at the start of the season.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I just have a problem with the phraseology of saying "pulled off" in the preseason. It sounds like auto redshirt and emergency play instead of every frosh player has a chance to prove himself. Every freshmen should have a chance to compete and the language should match.

I'm of the mindset that you put the redshirt on at the start of the season.

jmo
    I see what you're saying, Turb, and I agree that redshirt status shouldn't be assumed, but rather decided to be put on or off at the beginning of the season.

There is also difference in travel team.if you are gonna travel a kid, you need to be able to use him. Otherwise you travel another kid that you can use. Don't think you waste a travel spot on a kid who would only play in emergency. Unless it was our qb situation last year.

i am going with the assumption that hud assumes to red shirt all freshmen except the special ones

Hud has said on several occasions it is his hope to red shirt every freshman every year. But he would not hesitate to put the best players on the field. In Hud we trust.

Geaux Cajuns!!

11. Default Re: Redshirt taken off 3 freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Hud has said on several occasions it is his hope to red shirt every freshman every year. But he would not hesitate to put the best players on the field. In Hud we trust.

Geaux Cajuns!!
    I agree with that philosophy, but unless I read the story wrong, Hud didn't say a paraphrase-able "Redshirt taken off"

Thread Information