Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2007-08 basketball

Default Re: UL women searching for a euphemism

Maybe its just me.but I completely do not understand the title of this article.

Default Re: UL women searching for a euphemism

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Maybe its just me.but I completely do not understand the title of this article.
    It's not just you! Me, too!

3. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns drop another

TROY, Ala. – Troy's women's basketball team snapped a three-game losing streak, while extending Louisiana's to five straight losses as the Trojans defeated the Ragin' Cajuns 63-54 Sunday afternoon at the Trojan Arena.

Troy (10-10, 3-6 Sun Belt) forced 25 Ragin' Cajuns (5-14, 1-7 Sun Belt) turnovers, while pouring in 31 points on those turnovers. The nine-point Trojan win marked Louisiana's first loss in four series meetings.

Sonora Edwards (Snook, Texas) paced the Cajuns with 13 points, while committing six turnovers. Courtney Ratliff (Canton, Miss.) added 11 and a team-high 10 rebounds.

Troy had four players that posted double figures. Laura Lee Holman led all scorers with 19 points on 7-of-13 shooting, including 5-of-8 from three-point range. Kylie Morrissy and Danielle Realph added 12 and 11, respectively. Larelle Roper also added 10 points.

Louisiana and Troy battled back and forth during the opening minutes of the second half. Neither team could build a lead of greater than three points as they battled to three ties in the second stanza.

Holman gave the Trojans a three-point lead on two separate occasions. Tied at 30 apiece, Holman drilled a trey from the right wing for a 33-30 Troy advantage. Ratliff tied the contest at 33 all on a triple from the top of the key.

On the ensuing Troy possession, Holman drained a three from the left wing for a 36-33 edge. After a Cajuns basket, Holman hit another key basket for a 38-35 Trojans lead. Troy's lead grew to five, 40-35, on two Morrissy free throws at the 13:39 mark of the second half.

Realph's three from the left side provided the Trojans with a 45-37 lead with less than 10 minutes to play.

Trailing by six, Louisiana had a prime opportunity to cut Trojan lead in half after Edwards intercepted Troy's in-bounds pass. However, Jasmine Barnes (Baton Rouge, La.) was unable to connect from long-distance.

But, a Bronson Rodgers (Itawamba, Miss.) three-pointer ended a four-minute stretch with a field goal as the Cajuns pulled to within three, 46-43, at the 7:20 mark. The Cajuns had an ample opportunity to tie the game, but Whitney Dunlap's (Baton Rouge, La.) triple attempt rimmed out.

After an Edwards basket down low, the Cajuns forced a Troy turnover on the ensuing in-bounds. The Cajuns capitalized on the opportunity on Barnes' trey from the right corner, tying the game at 50.

Troy took a five-point lead, 55-50, with three minutes to play on Holman's fifth triple of the afternoon. The Trojans added a pair of insurance baskets for a commanding nine-point lead, 59-50.

Louisiana held a 6-2 lead with 15:54 remaining the first half, but the Trojans followed with an 11-2 run for a 13-8 edge. However, a Dunlap lay-in brought the Cajuns back to within three points, 13-10.

Trailing by three, 17-14, with 6:30 left in the half, Onna Charles (New Iberia, La.) converted the Cajuns' first field goal in four minutes with a triple from the right wing. Charles' trey provided the equalizer at 17 all.

Edwards later gave the Cajuns their first lead in nearly 10 minutes after hitting one of two free throw tries.

Troy went back on top, 19-18, on a Morrissy 12-footer along the baseline, but Charles answered with her second trey for a 21-19 lead. Louisiana took a 24-23 lead in the locker room at the break after Troy was unable to get a shot off before the buzzer sounded.

Charles and Edwards paced the Cajuns with six points each, while Ratliff added six boards. Morrissy led the Trojans with six points before the break.

Louisiana held the Trojans to 33.3 percent from the floor in the first half on 9-of-27 shooting, while the Cajuns made just one more shot on 37 percent shooting.

Louisiana's women's basketball team will return to the hardwood Wednesday, Jan. 30, when the Ragin' Cajuns host the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders at Earl K. Long Gym. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

RaginCajuns.com

4. UL Basketball UL Women blow early lead in 85-66 home defeat

For more than 10 minutes Wednesday night, UL kept Middle Tennessee State's Amber Holt - the nation's leading scorer at 27.1 points per game - out of the scorebook.

The senior guard eventually got on track, scoring 11 of her 19 points in the second half.

Unfortunately, the Ragin' Cajuns failed to snap their cold-spell against the Blue Raiders with an 85-66 loss in Sun Belt Conference action at Earl K. Long Gym.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

5. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns are not equal to the sum of their parts

After watching his team suffer its sixth straight Sun Belt Conference loss, first-year UL coach Errol Rogers compared the Ragin' Cajuns' struggles to a movie without any directing.

"We have to be able to follow the script," Rogers said after Wednesday's 85-66 loss to Middle Tennessee State. "It's like a movie. You can't have a bunch of people off doing their own thing.

"Everyone has to do what they're supposed to do, or it doesn't work."

UL (5-15 overall, 1-8 SBC) will try to end its agony today when Florida Atlantic (4-15, 0-10) comes to Earl K. Long Gym for a conference game between last-place teams in their respective divisions.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

6. UL Basketball Cajun women fall to FAU

At the end, UL made it interesting.

Florida Atlantic, though, made its outside shots Saturday and held off the Ragin' Cajuns, 65-62, at Earl K. Long Gym. The Owls snapped a nine-game losing streak and won their first-ever Sun Belt Conference road game after tying a school record by making 12-of-24 3-point attempts.

FAU (5-15 overall, 1-10 SBC) had lost 10 of its previous 11 games in the program's second season in the Sun Belt.

"We've really been working on our shooting," said FAU coach Chancellor Dugan, whose Owls shot 2-of-22 from 3-point range in Thursday's 76-63 loss to New Orleans. "It really paid off today."

Trailing by eight with 1:23 left - the largest lead for either team all game - UL (5-16, 1-9) got five straight points from guard Whitney Dunlap to pull within three with 14 seconds remaining.

FAU clanked the front end of two one-and-one free-throw opportunities in the final 12 seconds, but the Cajuns missed two 3-point attempts in the closing seconds - including an off-balanced half-court heave by Dunlap that bounced off the right side of the backboard as time expired.

The Owls entered the game 1-7 on the road this season and last in the East Division.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

7. UL Basketball Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

The women's basketball team (8-13, 4-6 Sun Belt) will return to the Pharmed arena on Feb. 6 after a two-game road trip that took the team to Colorado and Texas. Awaiting the Golden Panthers will be the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette (5-15, 1-8).

The Ragin' Cajuns have struggled this season and are currently last in the Sun Belt's West Division.

They are led by senior center Sonora Edwards, who is averaging 11 points and eight rebounds per game this season.

Another key player on the Cajuns' roster is senior forward Courtney Ratliff, who averages 12 points and seven rebounds a game. ULL ranks near the bottom of most major defensive categories in the Sun Belt Conference and will probably be hungry for a road win in Miami.

This is a winnable game for FIU, but the Golden Panthers most stay focused and work to improve their shooting percentage and shot selection.

The rest of the story

Darren Collette / Staff Writer

8. UL Basketball Re: Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

I sure hope coach Rogers can pull off a win because for someone to call your team "faulty" is worse than saying you are bad.

jmo

Default Re: Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

This is definitely a transition year, but I don't understand why it had to be one. It's no secret that Yolanda Jones is the biggest difference from last year to this year, and Jeanenne Colbert was a big help at times, but wasn't always available. Basically, we have the same core players from last year, the only difference is the Coach and staff. Coach Rogers admitted to not having the proper time to work with the team before the start of the year, but now he consistantly takes shot's at the team's lack of heart or execution. When I watch the games he keep running this tired motion play on offense that never gives us good looks at shots. He needs to take some ownership for our situation. Our best offense seems to be our fast break. He has tried new things with player rotation, but has let our proven players minutes go down, without seeing any difference in the win/loss catagory. I understand if you have a good system it will work, but we have a coach and players that are not on the same page, and morale is falling fast. I have heard through the grapevine that coach's are not supporting our players, or building them up, taking cell phones away so they can't talk to friends and family on the road, regulating the players money. It's not easy being a student athlete, and playing on the road, and practicing when everyone else is out enjoying Holidays. There needs to be a bond, and respect between players and coaches. I wanted to give Coach Rogers and his staff a chance to turn the year around. I don't see anything very positive yet, but I'm still hoping that they can find some common ground, and some plays that work, and turn the last half of conference play around.

Geaux Cajuns.

Default Re: Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I sure hope coach Rogers can pull off a win because for someone to call your team "faulty" is worse than saying you are bad.

jmo _
    Turbine:
    Is Onna Charles hurt ? If not any reason why she's not playing ? Just wondering. You don't luck up and score over 1,000 points do you ? If memory serves me didn't she score 35 at Troy and 25 against Texas at Texas. Wow. Thanks for the info and job you do.

Cajunfox

11. Default Re: Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNfox View Post

Is Onna Charles hurt ? If not any reason why she's not playing ? Just wondering. You don't luck up and score over 1,000 points do you ? If memory serves me didn't she score 35 at Troy and 25 against Texas at Texas. Wow.
    Onna has played in 20 of the 21 games but is only averaging 19.1 minutes and 7.1 points per game.

Last year she averaged 11.5 points per game in 29.6 minutes so for some reason (with all the departures) I thought she would be the "go to" gal this season.

Her production per minute played is roughly the same as last year so she is not playing worse on the scoring end. Who knows???

12. UL Basketball Re: 2007-08 Lady Cajuns Basketball

With the UL women's basketball team enduring tough times, freshman Jasmine Barnes still found a way to speak with the clarity and wisdom of a veteran.

"We have to stick together through everything," Barnes said of UL, which has lost seven straight and 11 of its last 12 games. "When we have some downs and sickness on the team we have to keep our heads up and pray about it.

"We have to stick together. That's the most important thing."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

UL Basketball Re: Opponent View: Golden Panthers host faulty team with 1-11 road record

I am watching the live stats f rom the lady cajuns game @ FIU
    any reason why Sonora has not played yet? maybe Coach Rogers is trying to play the kids that will be his core for next yearLET ME KNOW
    HAPPY MARDI GRAS

14. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns senior guard flying well below the radar

Sometimes lost in the midst of a team's struggles are the individual accomplishments of a persistent leader.

For example, take UL senior Alicia McDaniel. While the Cajun women's basketball team has lost eight straight Sun Belt Conference contests and 12 of its last 13 coming into today's game at Denver (8-14 overall, 3-8 SBC), McDaniel is set to make program history.

Granted she plays for UL (5-17, 1-10), McDaniel will become the program's all-time leader with 115 games played. Former Cajun guard Shaunda Bedel-Johnson played 114 games at UL from 1986-91.

"It will be an honor," McDaniel said, "but at the same time I want to get some victories under my belt. That's more on my mind right now."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

15. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns Fall Short vs Denver (nothing to be embarrassed about)

Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns put forth a terrific effort, but it wasn’t quite enough as the Cajuns were on the wrong side of a 60-52 decision at Denver on Sunday afternoon.

Two three-point baskets by Brooke Meyer broke a tie game and gave the Pioneers a four-point lead with less than three minutes remaining in the contest.

UL (5-18, 1-11) couldn’t get the shots to fall in the closing minutes and DU (9-14, 4-8) made six free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

After leading for nearly the entire first half, the Cajuns relinquished their lead exactly five minutes into the second stanza.

With the game tied at 31-31, DU grabbed an eight-point edge thanks to a 10-2 scoring burst. Nnenna Akotaobi completed a three-point play to start the host’s rally. Sara Benham then scored seven straight for the Pioneers to give DU a 41-33 lead with 9:26 left.

From there, the Cajuns scratched their way back. UL countered with a 10-2 run of their own to tie the game with five minutes remaining. Alicia McDaniel started the scoring with a free throw and was followed by baskets from Bronson Rodgers, Onna Charles and Courtney Ratliff. Whitney Dunlap buried a triple after good ball movement to knot the game at 46-46.

McDaniel led the Cajuns with 14 points, five assists and two steals. Ratliff finished with 12 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double. Sonora Edwards led all players with 10 rebounds.

Meyer led four Pioneers in double figures with 13 points.

Offense was slow to come by early.

The Cajuns led 2-0 until a basket by Benham tied the game at the 13:37 mark.

Ratliff put the Cajuns back in front, 4-2, at the 11:58 mark.

DU took their first lead, 8-7, midway through the first half, but the Cajuns immediately rallied with a 9-2 burst to take their biggest lead, 16-10, with 6:49 remaining in the half. Jasmine Barnes, McDaniel and Ratliff each scored before Dunlap drilled a three-pointer to account for the Cajuns scoring.

A basket by McDaniel with 3.3 seconds left in the opening half gave the Cajuns a four-point cushion at the break.

The Cajuns return home to host Louisiana-Monroe on Wednesday at Earl K. Long Gym at 7pm.

RaginCajuns.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information