Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst . 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns win the WEST!!!! Congrats guys!

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ I think rhineaux can back me up on this one, we have been standing at games in the student section for years. Only we got jeers, and were asked by worthless lazy students to sit down. It was great to finally see a fun, lively student section. Now if you really want to do something make up some cheers or chants , bring some signs and lead everyone along. Cause our "cheerleaders" don't seem to know how to do that. _
    I tried to get in touch with the cheerleader people before the football season. I did get a response, but nothing ever came of my suggestions. Basically what I told the girl was that all they needed was a big board with a U, and a big one with an L. Also, one with a Red (or Rouge), and one with a White (or Blanc, of course).And even a one with Ragin and one with Cajuns. Those are simple things that can get fans going during TOs. I always hated when we'd go on a run that would get the crowd going, and the other team would call a TO, and it would take the crowd out of the game. Everyone would be standing and yelling, then the TO, and it's like nothing ever happened. I don't know if the crowd would always chill out because they had to go 90 seconds without basketball, or if it was because "Oh Look, the band's playing 'respect'.again and the cheerleaders and dancers are doing that act.again."

I also told her that they needed to work with the band to get other cheers and chants going, because nobody could ever hear them at football games. At basketball games, it's not much better. But, there's no reason why they can't come up with anything original every so often, instead of the "D D D De-fense" or "Defense Cajuns Defense" all the time. Maybe I'm being too unfair to them, because it's also the job of our mascot to work up some crowd involvement, and the poor cheerleaders don't have a mascot to do that for them. The only thing we have scares children, doesn't do anything but bob his head and clap, and lacks the respect of all of the fans so nobody's gonna pay any attention to it anyway.

2. Default Sun Belt Bracket

Sun Belt Bracket pdf
    I like our positioning in the bracket. If we continue to win, it gives WKU and USA the opportunity to lose before we HAVE to play them.

It should make for an interested tournament.

3. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns win the WEST!!!! Congrats guys!

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ I tried to get in touch with the cheerleader people before the football season. I did get a response, but nothing ever came of my suggestions. Basically what I told the girl was that all they needed was a big board with a U, and a big one with an L. Also, one with a Red (or Rouge), and one with a White (or Blanc, of course).And even a one with Ragin and one with Cajuns. Those are simple things that can get fans going during TOs. I always hated when we'd go on a run that would get the crowd going, and the other team would call a TO, and it would take the crowd out of the game. Everyone would be standing and yelling, then the TO, and it's like nothing ever happened. I don't know if the crowd would always chill out because they had to go 90 seconds without basketball, or if it was because "Oh Look, the band's playing 'respect'.again and the cheerleaders and dancers are doing that act.again."

I also told her that they needed to work with the band to get other cheers and chants going, because nobody could ever hear them at football games. At basketball games, it's not much better. But, there's no reason why they can't come up with anything original every so often, instead of the "D D D De-fense" or "Defense Cajuns Defense" all the time. Maybe I'm being too unfair to them, because it's also the job of our mascot to work up some crowd involvement, and the poor cheerleaders don't have a mascot to do that for them. The only thing we have scares children, doesn't do anything but bob his head and clap, and lacks the respect of all of the fans so nobody's gonna pay any attention to it anyway. _
    I believe you have been conversing with my wife. She just groans at basketball games when the cheerleaders come out with their tired (her opinion) routine(s).
    I have always wondered why the cheerleaders have not employed your big board idea. I particularly like the RaginCajun one. Don't lengthen out the cheer responses. Fans only want to respond about four times. After that they get tired of the routine and its difficult to "whip them up again" if they know it will be another "marathon response cheer".

Good ideas Rhineaux! If at first you do not succeed.try and try again.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Sun Belt Bracket

Great Point. In the Quarterfinals, WKU and UALR could potentially have far easier matchups than USA. You would think that earning the first seed would get you a much easier game in the second round than either against DU or UNO. I'd much rather play FIU or FAU than one of those two. I guess this bracket was created with the assumption that all of the higher seeds would move on. If not, then there are going to be some upset USA fans when they have to face Bo MaCaleb & #8 UNO in the QF's while UALR is facing #10 FIU and/or WKU is facing #11 ASU.

Either way, it doesn't bother me much. We wouldn't face one of the 'top 3' until at least the semi's.

As it shakes down, we beat our first opponent pretty handily at their place. Of our two potential second opponents, we were 2-0 against one, winning both with the last shot of the game, and were 0-1 v. the other, losing at home after we had a large lead, and played w/o Dees. As far as the third round, we were 2-0 v. UNO, 1-1 v. Denver, and 0-1 v. USA, and playing them at home again would be tough, although we did give up a large lead in our game against them.

This ought to be a fun tourney to watch, but it starts on Wednesday. Can't take care of business in Mobile until we take care of business in Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    Don't lengthen out the cheer responses. Fans only want to respond about four times. After that they get tired of the routine and its difficult to "whip them up again" if they know it will be another "marathon response cheer".
    I totally agree. One of the cool things about the larger programs is that the students are self-sufficient in terms of making noise or leading cheers, and/or there is variety in what they do. This is why I've also forwarded my ideas to people to have an organized yell team where a certain group of students have some face time with the cheerleaders so they can come up with fresh ideas. Kinda like the 6th man, but for students. I don't know why some of our students don't want to stand up and yell all game.it would make it much more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    Good ideas Rhineaux! If at first you do not succeed.try and try again. _
    Duly Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Its a shame! They would be soooo much more enlightened if they did!!!!

Z
    Or depressed (depending on which thread they read!).

7. Default Re: Lee's Cajuns enjoying the ride

The season long turnaround Coach Lee has done is a credit to him, his team, and the University of Louisiana as a whole.

Unfortunately Denver coach Joe Scott gives "Lafayette" the props.

Default Re: Lee's Ragin' Cajuns enjoying the ride

O well, one day they will get it right. I did enjoy watching him stomp his feet during the game over plays that really were not a big deal. It gave the fans something to fuss about, which at least gets them involved someway.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ I tried to get in touch with the cheerleader people before the football season. I did get a response, but nothing ever came of my suggestions. Basically what I told the girl was that all they needed was a big board with a U, and a big one with an L. Also, one with a Red (or Rouge), and one with a White (or Blanc, of course).And even a one with Ragin and one with Cajuns. Those are simple things that can get fans going during TOs. I always hated when we'd go on a run that would get the crowd going, and the other team would call a TO, and it would take the crowd out of the game. Everyone would be standing and yelling, then the TO, and it's like nothing ever happened. I don't know if the crowd would always chill out because they had to go 90 seconds without basketball, or if it was because "Oh Look, the band's playing 'respect'.again and the cheerleaders and dancers are doing that act.again."

I also told her that they needed to work with the band to get other cheers and chants going, because nobody could ever hear them at football games. At basketball games, it's not much better. But, there's no reason why they can't come up with anything original every so often, instead of the "D D D De-fense" or "Defense Cajuns Defense" all the time. Maybe I'm being too unfair to them, because it's also the job of our mascot to work up some crowd involvement, and the poor cheerleaders don't have a mascot to do that for them. The only thing we have scares children, doesn't do anything but bob his head and clap, and lacks the respect of all of the fans so nobody's gonna pay any attention to it anyway. _
    I agree with everything you've said.those time outs that are called during one of our runs are the opportune times for the cheerleaders/mascot to pump the defense chants and so on.it doesn't seem like anything is timed. My friends and I have tried since about 98' to get a consistent student section going and it's been frustrating. Saturday's game was different b/c there was a large enough group of people standing, that no one could really complain. I'm hoping that eventually, the basketball games will be like the football games and everyone will stand all game long and the family's with kids sitting in the student section (no offense to them/ I'll be bringing my own daughter next year) can be replaced by active participants.

What we need is a student ring leader who will stand in front of the fans and lead the chants/cheers (face paint and the whole nine yards).bypass the cheerleaders all together.

All this being said, we now have a cajun team that is young enough that they will be around longer than we're used to. Getting to have this team for the time that we will may help build a more passionate connection between us and them (watching them grow). That's my rant.

Isn't it fantastic that we're having a conversation about how to make our lively student section even more lively? Finally, we have a group of students who realize it's thier job to create atmosphere instead of waiting around for atmosphere to create itself. This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Isn't it fantastic that we're having a conversation about how to make our lively student section even more lively? Finally, we have a group of students who realize it's thier job to create atmosphere instead of waiting around for atmosphere to create itself. This is great! _
    Maybe, but just remember that I am an alum. GeoCajun is an alum. some of the others on this board that sit in the student section are alum's. There are those of us out there who are/were trying to make it better, but we are leaving or are gone already. It doesn't do any good if a group of folks try to get something started but are within a year or two of graduating. We need more fanatics that are freshmen and sophomores.

They should just do like I said and remove all the chairs from the student sections and replace them with wooden benches.

I have the solution to yalls problem. We have large enough group to do this. We were the people in the 3rd in 4th row ( 1st n 2nd behind the families and 5-6 denver fans) that refused to sit down. It's a group of about 10-15 students who actually cheer at games. But we met at the tigue on sunday and planned out what we are gonna do. We are not the most creative bunch in the chants n cheers category but at least we can make some noise. I know the alums have tried to get things going in the past only to be shot down by fellow students. We have enough students in our lil group to take up almost 2 rows, so if we stand no one is gonna tell us a thing if we are able to get the lower rows. what could be helpful is the creative members of this board think of a cheer or two that we could do during timeouts, that the cheerleaders are supposed to be doing while they do their same dance routine for the past at least 4 years.

also we are doing the facepaint and such, we have the d-fence already made(we just forgot it during the denver game.) and we are gonna keep this going.

also the vast majority of us are freshmen and sophomores so if we can get this off the ground. We will be able to lead it for a good little while.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun2010 View Post
    _ I have the solution to yalls problem. We have large enough group to do this. We were the people in the 3rd in 4th row ( 1st n 2nd behind the families and 5-6 denver fans) that refused to sit down. It's a group of about 10-15 students who actually cheer at games. But we met at the tigue on sunday and planned out what we are gonna do. We are not the most creative bunch in the chants n cheers category but at least we can make some noise. I know the alums have tried to get things going in the past only to be shot down by fellow students. We have enough students in our lil group to take up almost 2 rows, so if we stand no one is gonna tell us a thing if we are able to get the lower rows. what could be helpful is the creative members of this board think of a cheer or two that we could do during timeouts, that the cheerleaders are supposed to be doing while they do their same dance routine for the past at least 4 years.

also we are doing the facepaint and such, we have the d-fence already made(we just forgot it during the denver game.) and we are gonna keep this going. _
    I have a friend who went to Maryland and this was there chant whenever the band would play that tune.The first two verses are yelled while pointing to the visitors bench (straight down) and the last line is sung while the pointing from left to right (left, middle, and right) across the bench whle emphasizing each "and you, and you, and you suck too!".Gotta be my favorite chant of all times.

Na, Na, Naaaaa, Na, Hey!
    You Suck!
    Na, Na, Naaaaa, Na, Hey!
    You Suck!
    Na, Na, Naaaaa, Na, Hey!
    You Suck.and you, and you, and you suck too!

UL Basketball Troy Game Tonight

Wednesday night's game is a little different as it will be the first time most of our guys or in a do or die situation in their college career. How they handle the pressure of such a scenario will be key.
    Coach Lee asked at the Rebounders Club today for the same type of support given last Saturday. That is as many people who can attend to do so and more importantly to keep supporting them if things go bad. Note, tickets are 13 dollars in Section 1, 10 dollars in Section 2, and 7 dollars in Section 3. Parking passes for season tickets will be honored and students are admitted with their ID (no charge). How do you guys think this game will turn out?

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst . 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread Information