Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

UL Football Re: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ LOL!!! Uh huh. Will we get 33K+? _
    Man, you have to wonder about the home schedule when the "highlight" is a game vs. McNeese (in basketball).

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Man, you have to wonder about the home schedule when the "highlight" is a game vs. McNeese (in basketball).
    UAB is here on the 27 of November. That might be a highlight!??

Z

UAB is coached by former Indiana coach Mike Davis, that will be a good home game for the Cajuns.

No one said that McNeese was the highlight home game.

wouldnt you consider Western Kentucky a big home game????

Our fans need to realize how big of a rivalry this is.ask their fans how important that game is to themthey pack the place and they understand how bad they hate us.WE NEED TO FIND THAT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by weareLOUISIANA View Post

Damn straight it is. So why didn't the article say that??

Here's what was said so go figure -

"The Cajuns will play 13 home games at the CAJUNDOME in 2007-08, highlighted by a visit from Interstate 10 rival McNeese State on Dec. 13."

UL Basketball Re: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by weareLOUISIANA View Post
    No one said that McNeese was the highlight home game.

Yes, the article said it, not me. That's why I questioned it. I would consider WKU and UAB to be highlight games.

UL Basketball Re: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    UAB is here on the 27 of November. That might be a highlight!??

Z
    Might be, you think??? I guess that would have to be THE OOC highlight game for this year. Actually, I kinda like this schedule for a young team struggling to learn how to win. Hopefully next year we'll be able to "schedule up" with a chance for some marquee wins!

7. UL Basketball Ragin' Cajuns 2007-2008 Basketball Season

The Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana mens basketball team features eight letterwinners including Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year Elijah Millsap (Grambling, La.) and All-Sun Belt Third Team selection David Dees (Dayton, Ohio).

The men's team opens the season with a home exhibition game against the Louisiana College Wildcats on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at the CAJUNDOME.

The Cajuns open the regular season at home with the North Alabama Lions on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Basketball "midnight Madness

Basketball season officially begins Friday night with the annual Ragin' Cajuns Midnight Madness which is slated to begin at 10:30 p.m. at Blackham Coliseum. Admission is free.

Friday's event marks the first official practice for both the men's and women's basketball teams. Fans are invited to meet the teams and attend an autograph signing at 9:45 p.m. Midnight Madness will not be limited to just practice, as UPC will hold shooting contests and students will be eligible to win prizes and more.

Both men's and women's teams will participate in a 2-ball and 3-point contests, while the men's team will compete in a dunk contest and later hold an intrasquad scrimmage.

The men's basketball team features eight letterwinners including Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year Elijah Millsap (Grambling, La.) and All-Sun Belt Third Team selection David Dees (Dayton, Ohio). The men's team opens the season with a home exhibition game against the Louisiana College Wildcats on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at the CAJUNDOME. The Cajuns open the regular season at home with the North Alabama Lions on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

The women's team, coming off a school-record 25-win season and the first NCAA Tournament appearance in program history, will usher in a new era with a first-year head coach and UL alumnus Errol Rogers. The Cajuns return six letterwinners from last season's postseason squad, including seniors Onna Charles (New Iberia, La.), Sonora Edwards (Snook, Texas) and Alicia McDaniel (Houston, Texas). The women will open the regular season on Sunday, Nov. 11 at Mercer.

9. UL Basketball Re: Basketball "midnight Madness

Ha! I was just seaching for this

10. UL Basketball 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Preview

2007-08: READY TO RUN

Synopsis: Louisiana’s men’s basketball roster will again be riddled by youth, as the Cajuns welcome eight newcomers to the 2007-08 squad which already featured five returning underclassmen. The Cajuns have only three seniors, each with one year of experience in Cajun Country - Maurice Barksdale, David Dees and Abray Milson. Barksdale returns after sitting out the 2006-07 season to recover from off-season wrist surgery. Last season, five freshmen saw significant playing time including 2007 Sun Belt Freshman of the Year Elijah Millsap. The Cajuns could own one of the more exciting backcourts in the Sun Belt Conference. Behind Barksdale, Dees and Millsap, UL also has two other letterwinners and seven newcomers ready to fill in at any time. With the departure of Valentino Hart and Adam James, the key to the Cajuns’ success this season could lie at the post position.

2006-07 Summary

Last season, despite a 9-21 finish, Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns’ exciting brand of basketball returned to the CAJUNDOME, as UL boasted two of the Sun Belt’s best guards - freshman Elijah Millsap and junior David Dees. Dees, a transfer from Liberty University, was a third team All-Sun Belt selection, while Millsap was named the league’s Freshman of the Year. Dees’ selection to the All-Sun Belt team extended the Cajuns’ steak of having at least one all-conference player to 12 straight seasons.

Millsap took the league by storm, earning the top rookie honor after leading all Sun Belt freshmen in scoring (12.4) and rebounding (7.3). His rebounding total ranked fourth in the league, while finishing 22nd overall in scoring. Millsap led the Cajuns in rebounds, despite playing in seven fewer games.

Millsap scored in double figures in 16 of his 23 games played and also pulled down at least five rebounds 17 times, hitting double figures seven times. Millsap also had a string of 12 straight games scoring in double digits (Dec. 28, 2006-Feb. 8, 2007). He scored in double figures 15 times against Sun Belt competition.

Dees led the Cajuns with a 17.4 point-per-game average, while finishing fourth among the league’s top scorers. He made a team-high 149 free throws last season as well.

Louisiana was the only team in the league that boasted two of the Sun Belt’s top six scorers from a year ago - Dees and departed senior Ross Mouton.

In fact, Mouton was the sixth different player to lead the Cajuns in scoring in the last six seasons. And, this season will be no different as a seventh different leading scorer will emerge. UL hasn’t had a player lead the team in scoring in back-to-back seasons since Anthony Johnson (2000-01 & 2001-02).

The 2006-07 season was one of near misses as the Ragin’ Cajuns were involved in 15 games decided by five points or less, posting a 5-10 record in those games. Despite five departed seniors, the Cajuns only have to replace two starters - Mouton and Adam James.

Fast forward to the 2007-08 season. Millsap, one of the league’s top players, enters his sophomore season, looking to follow up his stellar rookie campaign, while Dees hopes to use his senior year as a stepping stone to the professional level.

The key to the Cajuns’ success may not be the play of their three-guard system; it may very well lie at the post position.

The Backcourt - Quick Hits

Louisiana returns two of the Sun Belt’s top newcomers from a year ago to a still very young, but very talented backcourt - senior David Dees (Dayton, Ohio) and sophomore Elijah Millsap (Grambling, La.).

A third proven veteran of the UL backcourt joins Dees and Millsap as senior Maurice Barksdale (Baltimore, Md.) returns to the lineup after missing last season with a broken wrist.

During the 2005-06 season, Barksdale started 15 games at point guard. He made a team-high 29 three-point field goals to go along with his team-best 73.5 percentage from the free throw line.

With degree in hand, Barksdale will prepare for a second try at his senior season after redshirting during the 2006-07 season to preserve is final year of eligibility.

Barksdale and Dees give the Ragin’ Cajuns a pair of senior leaders in the backcourt, while adding to one of the Sun Belt’s top young guns in Millsap.

Two more sophomores - Willie Lago (Reserve, La.) and Stephen Dees (Dayton, Ohio) - round out the five returning backcourt veterans for UL.

Lago started 14 games last season, averaging 3.0 points and 1.6 assists per game.

Dees, the younger brother of UL senior guard David Dees, saw limited action during the season, averaging just under one point per game in 16 contests.

With the addition of five newcomers, Louisiana’s backcourt is one of the deepest in the league. Featured among the five newcomers are four sophomores - Corey Bloom, Randell Daigle, Brandon Dison, Damon Forest - and one true freshman - Sutton Yanosky. Daigle, Dison and Forest would have been true freshmen last season. However, all three sat out the 2006-07 season to become academically eligible.

Bloom, a sophomore transfer from the University of Houston, is the only other backcourt member with prior NCAA Division I experience.

Bloom, who sat out the 2006-07 season per NCAA transfer rules, played in 20 games as reserve guard for the Cougars in 2005-06.

RaginCajuns.com

11. UL Basketball Re: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Preview (Part II)

Synopsis: Louisiana’s men’s basketball roster will again be riddled by youth, as the Cajuns welcome eight newcomers to the 2007-08 squad which already featured five returning underclassmen. The Cajuns have only three seniors, each with one year of experience in Cajun Country - Maurice Barksdale, David Dees and Abray Milson. Barksdale returns after sitting out the 2006-07 season to recover from off-season wrist surgery. Last season, five freshmen saw significant playing time including 2007 Sun Belt Freshman of the Year Elijah Millsap. The Cajuns could own one of the more exciting backcourts in the Sun Belt Conference. Behind Barksdale, Dees and Millsap, UL also has two other letterwinners and eight newcomers ready to fill in at any time. With the departure of Valentino Hart and Adam James, the key to the Cajuns’ success this season could lie at the post position.

The Frontcourt - Quick Hits

While the backcourt is loaded with young returning players, the frontcourt boasts only three returners - senior Abray Milson (Lafayette, La.) and sophomores Tyren Johnson (Edgard, La.) and Courtney Wallace (New Orleans, La.).

Last season, the Cajuns’ frontcourt produced just 379 of their 2,013 points (18.8 percent). However, UL lost nearly half of that frontcourt point production in the departure of Valentino Hart and Adam James.

Milson, Johnson and Wallace combined for just 199 points in only 844 minutes a year ago. Wallace, who enjoyed the most playing time last season, will be depended on to help solidify the Cajuns’ frontcourt. However, Lee and his staff will not rely on Wallace to carry the load on his own. Milson and Johnson will see a considerably larger amount of playing time.

Milson, the only returning low post player for UL with more than one year of Division I experience, is one of only three seniors on the squad and will be highly depended on at the low post position.

Last season, Milson averaged 2.1 points and 2.0 rebounds per game. Milson and Wallace each started eight games a year ago, while Johnson started two. Milson, who spent his freshman season at Utah Valley State College, will face his former school when the Cajuns host the Wolverines in January.

Wallace chipped in 4.0 points and 2.3 boards per game. Johnson added 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds per game. Wallace was one of three freshmen last season that averaged double-digit minutes

Johnson, Milson and Wallace will be aided by the additions of true freshmen Travis Bureau and Chris Gradnigo and sophomore La’Ryan Gary.

Bureau, a Class 5A All-State selection at St. Amant (La.) High School, averaged 24.2 points, 10.0 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 3.0 blocks per game in his final prep season.

Like Bureau, Gradnigo, also a Louisiana product, was an All-State (Class 4A) selection as a senior. The LaGrange High star was also a two-time All-District and Southwest Louisiana Most Valuable Player honoree.

The final piece of the Cajuns’ frontcourt puzzle, Gary, was local basketball star coming out of high school. After three years at Lafayette’s St. Thomas More High, Gary transferred to Carencro (La.) High for his senior season, where he averaged 20.3 points per game.

Preseason Intangibles

Youth is Served. Louisiana boasts the third-least experienced team among the 347 NCAA Division I men’s basketball programs. UL has a combined eight letters earned (Eight players having earned one letter each at Louisiana). Eight other schools have fewer than eight letters - College of Charleston (6), Idaho (6), Texas State (7), UALR (7), Louisiana Tech (7), New Mexico State (7), Utah State (7) and Texas-San Antonio (7) - while four schools have a combined eight letters earned - Boise State, San Jose State, Charlotte and Lamar.

A Fresh Start. Despite having 16 players on the 2007-08 roster, Louisiana-Lafayette has just three freshmen on the team this season - Travis Bureau, Chris Gradnigo and Sutton Yanosky. On the hand, the Cajuns will not endure a shortage of sophomores as 10 of Louisiana’s 16 players are sophomores athletically - the most of any Sun Belt Conference team.

There’s a New Assistant in Town. Former North Texas assistant coach Jai Steadman joined the Cajuns staff over the summer. Steadman is familiar with southwest Louisiana as he was an assistant coach at McNeese State in 2004-05.

2007-08 Schedule Notables

Thirteen home games highlight UL’s 2007-08 home schedule, including four non-conference meetings with North Alabama, UAB, McNeese State and Utah Valley State.

Louisiana welcomes four first-time visitors to the CAJUNDOME - North Alabama, UAB, Florida Atlantic and Utah Valley State.

Year four of the Robert Lee era kicks off in front of the home crowd at the CAJUNDOME against NCAA Division II member North Alabama on Nov. 14. UL then quickly depart for a two-game road swing at Louisiana Tech (Nov. 16) and Oral Roberts (Nov. 20).

UL returns home to face first-time visitor UAB on Nov. 27 before traveling to Knoxville, Tenn., to face the Tennessee Volunteers on Nov. 30. UL’s meeting with the Vols will be the first of two games featuring the Cajuns to be televised this season. The UL-UT contest will be carried by Sports South.

The Cajuns open the month of December on the road at UCF on Dec. 11. UL then returns to the ‘DOME to face McNeese State on Dec. 13. UL opens Sun Belt Conference play at in-state rival Louisiana-Monroe on Dec. 16 before embarking on a trans-Pacific flight to Hawai’i to participate in the 44th Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic in Honolulu. The field includes East Tennessee State, Georgia, Hawai’i, Ohio, St. John’s, St. Mary’s and Tulane. UL will be making its seventh trip to the Rainbow State and its first since the 1998-99 season. Louisiana opens the tournament against the hosting Warriors on Dec. 19.

After the Cajuns return to the mainland, UL will host another first-time visitor - Sun Belt foe Florida Atlantic - on Dec. 29.

The new year begins with a pair of home games - Arkansas State (Jan. 3) and New Orleans (Jan. 5). The Cajuns then travel to Little Rock, Ark., to face UALR on Jan. 10, followed by a trip to Denton, Texas, against North Texas on Jan. 12. The Cajuns’ fourth first-time CAJUNDOME opponent and last non-conference test - Utah Valley State College - comes to town for tilt on Jan. 15.

Western Kentucky awaits the Cajuns at home on Jan. 19 before UL hits the road again to face South Alabama (Jan. 24) and Troy (Jan. 27). The Cajuns close out the month of January at home against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 31.

Louisiana then hits the road for a cross-country venture that will begin Feb. 6 at Florida International. The Cajuns then travel to Denver, Colo., to face the Denver Pioneers on Feb. 10. The Cajuns’ game at Denver will be their second televised game of the regular season. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Rocky Mountain.

UL will then get a brief break from travel to face Louisiana-Monroe at the CAJUNDOME on Valentine’s Day. However, the Cajuns then have to make their final road trip of the regular season to face Arkansas State (Feb. 16) and New Orleans (Feb. 20).

The Ragin’ Cajuns conclude the regular season with three straight home games - UALR (Feb. 23), North Texas (Feb. 28) and Denver (Mar. 1).

The Sun Belt Conference Championship will be held March 9-11 in Mobile, Ala. The first round games will take place March 5 at campus sites.

RaginCajuns.com

Default Basketball Media Guide now online

The 2007-2008 basketball media guide is now available on ragincajuns.com for those who are interested. I've attached the link to the specific page below.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArti.CRIBER_CONTENT=

UL Basketball It's Basketball Time!!!!!!!

Woo Hoooo!!!!!!!! It's my favorite time of the year -- Basketball Season!!!

The men play an exhibition game against Louisiana College on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m in the CajunDome. Geaux out and support the Cajuns!!!!!!!!!

UL Basketball UL Basketball has Arrived!!

Tomorrow night will be the first tip off of the season. Although it's an exhibition game, it's a game none the less. I don't know what everyone else is expecting from this years very young team but I am expecting a lot. When I say a lot I don't necessarily mean in the form of wins in losses but what I'm looking for is a showing of a good future. I do think that this team will not end up last in the conference as every magazine ranking predicts but I also don't expect us to be "dancing" in March. What I see with this team is a young team with a lot of potential for being very good. That should surely be the case if we get a big man next year.

I'm sure some people's expectations will be very high as usual, and rightfully so as a fan should expect a lot from their team. And I'm willing to bet some of those people will be screaming for Coach Lee's job come Jan. /Feb. I don't know about the rest of you, but in my opinion Coach Lee has until Milsap graduates to turn the program back around. And with that being said I think Coach Lee will be here for a while.

So Tuesday night let's make sure that we get people in the Dome, even though it's only and exhibition, and support this young team. Give them a reason to win!

Default Re: UL Basketball has Arrived!!

I heard coach Lee on the radio last week and from what I heard we can expect to see a lot of speed and good shooting which I am pumped up to see. Last year we were losing and the games were slowed down from what I was used to seeing D. Mitchel, Orien, Boyd etc who made the game a show. My expectations aren't that high for wins and loses but I do expect to see us compete everytime we get on the court. I just can't wait to see the speed on the court that I here about, that 'you may beat us but you're gonna be dead tired after' approach. Can't Wait!

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information