Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Win!!! That's four wins in last five games

Yeah, I agree in regards to the student participation at the games, I have been extremely disappointed. For a while there, it seemed as if they were improving in that dept but lately it has been very disappointing. I would like to see the university do something, if possible, to encourage the students to go to the home games.

And I'm sure that someone will try the old "winter break" excuse as to the lack of student presence, but I won't buy that either. Fact is that the majority of the student body lives within a reasonable proximity to the university and the Cajun dome. So they need to get their butts in the seats (until it's time to stand and cheer). I just think that the marketing of the team sucks. There are several local radio stations that the younger crowd listen to. However, I have never heard any advertisements for upcoming games on these stations, not even the one that carries the game. (And yes, I do listen to hip hop stations occasionally) The most you get is a DJ mentioning that they are gonna broadcast the game later that evening. Makes me sad.

PS maybe the pepper could get tutoring sessions from the Fabulous Cajun Chicken.

UL Basketball Re: Ragin' Cajuns Win!!! That's four wins in last five games

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr View Post
    _ You hit the nail right on the head. Everyone was crying about how TD leads "cajun ball" but Sat. the new announcer didnt and guess what there was no cajun ball at all that night. _
    And I never ever missed it.

Don't know about the rest of you basketball junkies, but I am pumped. The next two teams in the Cajun Dome will be a strong test for our boys. Let's be there, be loud, and be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    _ Sorry Chris, but I don't buy into that. I've been to basketball games all over the place and unless you have a die hard crowd, i.e. Duke or N.C., where the crowd knows what to do and when to do it, the P.A. guy plays into the crowd reaction a ton. T.D. leading the "Cajunball" countdown or simply shouting "Let 'em hear ya" adds tons to the atmosphere. No matter if it's a blowout or if our team is in the crapper at the moment.
    I think the biggest issue concerning the home court advantage is that our fan base is lacking in the student commitment department. Anyone who knows me knows that I've literally been here through the thick and thin with our athletics. I get frustrated, but I still show up. And I make a little noise from time to time. . But we need more student involvement and it needs to start at the top with SGA and UPC. They have the power to get advertisements on the radio or perhaps student based activities to get them into the games. When we had to play at the Blackham for those few games, a few of us tailgated and it drew others that we knew to come out and go to the game. We also need a mascot that gets the crowd hyped up. And could we get a decibel meter in the dome?
    Just a few thoughts _
    I agree with you on the lack of students. I mentioned to a buddy of mine at the game saturday that behind the goal by the visitors bench is completely different than it used to be. We used to be the few drunk guys in the middle of all the sober students. Those were the good ole days. Now kids run around that area. Of course, that isn't a bad thing because parents can let there kids run free (I know mine never sits still at games) but it just isn't the same that it was. Maybe as the guys keep winning, more people will begin to show up.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by derf View Post
    But we need more student involvement and it needs to start at the top with SGA and UPC. They have the power to get advertisements on the radio or perhaps student based activities to get them into the games.
    They need to make it more known that its an easy plce to go get hammered. If I couldn't sit at the games with a dome foam, then it would have taken away some of the glimmer. When they had the games at BC in 2005, they didn't sell beer and we had to bring in our own whiskey, and that was a pain in the ass. Promotion: Go to the 'dome.Get there early.Have a few cold ones.Go Downtown.

Now, it will be pretty unlikely that the university would promote heavy drinking, especially since (theoretically) most of their students aren't drinking age.But you are right that something needs to be done by those student organiations to amp up involvement. And, they should make better t-shirts if they're gonna give them away.

UL Basketball Re: Ragin' Cajuns Win!!! That's four wins in last five games

Deleted due to someone already posting about Alumni band

7. UL Basketball Senior Dees sparks UL off the bench in 73-63 victory

Facing a second-half crisis, UL coach Robert Lee turned to a somewhat forgotten man in David Dees.

The senior guard rose to the occasion Thursday against Sun Belt Conference rival Arkansas State.

Dees came off the bench and lifted the Ragin' Cajuns to a 73-63 win at the Cajundome, scoring 15 of his team-high 17 points in the second half. He had seen his playing time cut recently, scoring only 15 points in the last five games.

"Every shot he took was an open shot, and coach Lee is not mad about that," UL's Randell Daigle said of Dees, who went scoreless in Saturday's win over Florida Atlantic. "He took all open shots, and he hit them all, so it helped us."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

8. UL Basketball Ragin' Cajuns have a Senior Moment. Thanks David Dees

There are going to be more important decisions made that will effect the life of David Dees. But as far as basketball is concerned, Robert Lee tied a bow around the career of his senior guard on Dec. 16, said thanks for the memories, and pointed toward a spot on UL's bench.

And, really, how many choices did Lee have?

The Cajuns were off to a 1-6 start this season and trailing by nine points at halftime of their Sun Belt Conference opener at UL-Monroe. So the decision was made - out with the old and in with the new.

Dees - the cover boy on the team's media guide, and a preseason all-conference pick - was benched in favor of freshmen Chris Gradnigo and Travis Bureau. His minutes melted from an average of more than 26 the first eight games to a total of 41 the next four combined.

The rest of the story

Bob Heist
    bheist@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns have a Senior Moment. Thanks David Dees

I have to say that honestly, I didn't care if I saw David play again for the rest of the season after the youth movement had been doing so well. However, he showed last night the things that a senior can do for you when you need that leadership. Not only did he play well, he played smart and made some effort plays like offensive rebounds for put backs, smart defense and a calm on the court when it was getting a little too hurried. I was extremely impressed with his play and I hope to see a lot more of him especially if he gives the effort he did last night!

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns have a Senior Moment. Thanks David Dees

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ I have to say that honestly, I didn't care if I saw David play again for the rest of the season after the youth movement had been doing so well. However, he showed last night the things that a senior can do for you when you need that leadership. Not only did he play well, he played smart and made some effort plays like offensive rebounds for put backs, smart defense and a calm on the court when it was getting a little too hurried. I was extremely impressed with his play and I hope to see a lot more of him especially if he gives the effort he did last night! _
    I sat there last night watching David play. I said outloud, to no one in particular, "welcome back, David Dees". What a good thing to happen to a class individual. I hope he can continue to play like he did last night. If so, the Ragin Cajuns will be hard to handle by opposing teams.

11. UL Basketball Ragin' Cajuns Host In-State Rival UNO Saturday

Game Night Story Lines: With its first 3-0 conference start of the Robert Lee era under its belt, Louisiana (6-7, 3-0) will attempt just its fourth 4-0 start to the Sun Belt slate in program history when it welcomes the New Orleans Privateers (11-3, 1-1) to the CAJUNDOME Saturday.

Thursday night, Louisiana engineered yet another second-half run to pull away from Arkansas State, defeating the Indians 73-63.

Senior guard David Dees snapped a 4-for-14 slump Thursday night, scoring a team-high 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting. Likewise, sophomore Elijah Millsap tallied double figures for the first time in seven games, pouring in 16 points. Randell Daigle was Louisiana’s third player to score in double figures in Thursday’s rout, registering a career-high-tying 14 points.

Louisiana is now 5-1 this season when three or more players score in double figures.A victory Saturday night over UNO would give Louisiana its first 3-0 home start in Sun Belt play since the 2002-03 season when the Cajuns started 7-0 at home. It would also move Louisiana to .500 after 14 games.

Although Louisiana holds a slim 13-11 margin over UNO in games at the CAJUNDOME, the Cajuns have won the last 10 meetings in Lafayette. UNO has not defeated UL at the ‘DOME since Jan. 15, 1998, when the Privateers knocked off the Cajuns 88-66.
    Louisiana won the first meeting between the long-time conference foes in the CAJUNDOME in 1986. But, the Privateers won the next eight meetings in Lafayette before the Cajuns won again in 1994.

Saturday’s game will be the 14th meeting between the schools in the month of January in Lafayette; Louisiana has won 7 of the 13 January meetings and has won the last five at the ‘DOME.

New Orleans Preview. New Orleans (11-3) saw its four-game winning streak snapped Wednesday as the Privateers dropped an 84-75 decision to UALR at the Human Performance Center.

UALR gards Steven Moore and Terrance Akins each had 15 points and combined for seven 3-pointers in the nine-point victory.

Mississippi transfer Brandon Patterson came off the bench to score 13 points and John Fowler added 12 as the Trojans won at UNO for the second straight season.The Trojans went 12-for-25 from 3-point range in snapping a two-game losing skid.

UNO’s Kyndall Dykes scored a game-high 23 points before being ejected with nine seconds left after receiving his second technical foul. Bo McCalebb had 17 points and seven rebounds, while James Parlow had 12 points.

Trailing 20-5 six minutes into the game, UALR used a 19-2 run during the next 10 minutes to take a 24-22 advantage. The Privateers, who started the game 8-of-9 from the field, struggled during the half’s final 14 minutes – going 1-of-15 to close the frame.

UALR used the drought to take a 33-30 halftime lead.The second half saw 12 lead changes and neither team had a lead larger than five until the final minute. UALR took the lead for good with 2:53 remaining thanks to a Patterson jumper off the glass. Akins then added a 3-pointer with 2:26 left to give the Trojans a 70-66 advantage.UNO, which had averaged 29 bench points in its last four games, only got five points from the reserves.

After the New Orleans game.Louisiana will look to continue to recent road success when it travels for a pivotal SBC road weekend. The Cajuns will first visit the UALR Trojans on Thursday, Jan. 10, before facing the defending Sun Belt Conference tournament champion North Texas Mean Green on Saturday, Jan. 11.

A Win by Louisiana.would give the Ragin’ Cajuns their fourth 4-0 start in Sun Belt Conference play in conference history. It would also be Louisiana’s first 3-0 SBC start at home since the 2002-03 season when the Cajuns won their first seven SBC home games.

A Loss by Louisiana.would drop the Cajuns to 3-1 in the SBC West Division and snap Louisiana’s three-game winning streak.

Return to Last Season Form. Senior guard David Dees snapped a 4-for-14 slump Thursday night, scoring a team-high 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting in 17 minutes. It was the most minutes Dees has played since seeing 24 at ULM on Dec. 16.Dees’ six field goals against Arkansas State are a season-high and are the most since he made seven baskets at North Texas in last season’s finale on Feb. 28.

Four Score.And the Cajuns are 4-0. When Louisiana has four or more players scoring in double figures, the Ragin’ Cajuns are 4-0 this season. In Louisiana’s only other win this season, only two players scored in double digits (vs. Hawai`i on Dec. 19).

RaginCajuns.com

12. UL Basketball Sun Belt Great McCalebb, UNO to test red-hot UL

UL coach Robert Lee knows what to expect when it comes to playing against New Orleans guard Bo McCalebb.

The senior leads the Sun Belt Conference in points per game (21.5) and steals per game this season (2.5).

"Bo McCalebb is a guy that no one can stop," said Lee, whose Cajuns (6-7 overall, 3-0 SBC) play host to UNO (11-3, 1-1) at 7:05 tonight at the Cajundome. "He's going to be good for 20 (points). So hopefully he doesn't get 30."

That scoring ability has earned McCalebb a reputation as one of the top players in conference history. He finished among the nation's top scorers as a sophomore and junior. Last season he became UNO's all-time leading scorer.

McCalebb enters tonight's game with 2,238 career points. He needs 82 points to pass former South Florida great Charlie Bradley (2,319 points) to become the conference's career scoring leader.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

13. UL Basketball Ragin' Cajuns Remain Perfect After 67-57 Win

LAFAYETTE – After erasing a 12-point second-half deficit, Louisiana is off to one of its best Sun Belt Conference starts in program history as the Ragin’ Cajuns posted a dominating 67-57 victory over in-state rival New Orleans Saturday at the CAJUNDOME.

Saturday night’s crowd of 5,621 was the largest at the CAJUNDOME since Feb. 19, 2005, when 6,954 fans watched Louisiana defeat North Texas 80-67.

The 10-point victory marked Louisiana’s (7-7, 4-0 Sun Belt) first 4-0 start in SBC play since 1999-2000. It was also Louisiana’s first 3-0 home start in league play since the 2002-03 season.

David Dees (Dayton, Ohio) scored a team-high 14 points with five rebounds, while Randell Daigle (Lafayette, La.) chipped in 13 points, including two late three-point field goals and four critical free throws in the last minute. Courtney Wallace (New Orleans, La.) pulled down a game- and career-high-tying nine rebounds.

The most impressive stat of the night was Louisiana’s bench, which out-scored New Orleans’ (11-4, 1-2 Sun Belt) reserves 41-0.

Sun Belt Conference Preseason Player of the Year Bo McCalebb led all scorers with 26 points. James Parlow added 13 points before being ejected after receiving two technical fouls late in the game.

After UNO extended its lead to 36-23 in the early stages of the second half, Louisiana responded with a quick 6-0 run. That streak cut the Privateers’ advantage to seven, 36-29, with 16:03 left in regulation.

A pair of key baskets by Travis Bureau (Gonzales, La.) brought Louisiana to within five, 38-33, at the 13:13 mark. A lay-in later by Wallace cut the deficit to 38-35.

Three minutes later, Corey Bloom (New Orleans, La.) drained a three-pointer to bring Louisiana to within one, 42-41. Then, on UNO’s ensuing possession, McCalebb promptly buried a three to give UNO a four-point cushion. However, Bloom answered again, draining his second triple in 30 seconds.

Down by two, Willie Lago (Reserve, La.) gave Louisiana its first lead since 16:22 of the first half on a three-pointer from the top of the key. Lago’s trey gave UL a slim 47-46 lead with 8:23 left in regulation. La’Ryan Gary (Lafayette, La.) later extended the Cajuns’ cushion to 49-46 at the 7:22 mark.

New Orleans erased Louisiana’s three-point lead as the Privateers knotted the game at 53-53 with 4:02 remaining on the clock. However, Dees hit a runner in the lane, regaining a 55-53 edge at the 2:53 mark. Dees then converted three-point play for a 56-53 Cajuns’ advantage.

Clinging to a one-point lead, 56-55, Daigle delivered a pair of daggers to the Privateers, draining back-to-back triples for a 62-55 lead with 52 seconds left to play.

Then, a pair of technical fouls called on Parlow put Daigle at the free throw. The sophomore calmly drained all four freebies for a 66-57 lead.

Louisiana fell behind early in the first half, as the visiting Privateers took hold to an 8-4 lead. The Cajuns, however, did pull to within two points, 8-6, on a Wallace jumper. But, UNO padded its lead to five, 11-6, on a Shaun Reynolds triple from the right wing.

New Orleans’ lead grew to eight points, 16-8, after Louisiana was unable to connect on several scoring opportunities. In the game’s first nine minutes, Louisiana made just 3-of-16 shots (18.8 percent).

The Privateers later built a 12-point cushion, 24-12, with six minutes left to play in the first half on a James Parlow triple in transition.

Finally, nearly 16 minutes into the game, Louisiana converted its first three-pointer of the contest as Daigle drilled a trey, cutting the UNO lead to 24-17. That triple extended Daigle’s streak to 12 consecutive games with a three-pointer.

UNO eventually ran its lead back to double figures after Louisiana had cut the deficit to as few as six points, 26-20.

Parlow led all scorers with 11 points on 3-of-4 shooting at the break, while McCalebb chipped in 10. Dees paced the Cajuns with eight points and four rebounds.

New Orleans held Louisiana to 29 percent from the floor on 9-of-31 shooting, while connecting on 1-of-12 from beyond the three-point arc. The Cajuns’ 23 points in the first half were the second-fewest this season (UL scored 21 at ULM on Dec. 16).

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns return to the hardwood Thursday, Jan. 10, when they travel to Little Rock, Ark., to face the UALR Trojans. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.

RaginCajuns.com

14. UL Basketball "You felt the floor vibrating."

Down the stretch Saturday night, UL and New Orleans got into an old-fashioned back-and-forth shootout.

And when the Sun Belt Conference contest got too close for comfort, Randell Daigle ended all doubt.

Daigle capped a furious second-half rally as the Ragin' Cajuns won a 67-57 thriller in front of a raucous crowd of 5,621 at the Cajundome.

The sophomore heated up in the final 1:48 to spark an 11-2 run that sealed the game for UL (7-7 overall, 4-0 SBC). He scored 10 of his 13 points during that stretch, hitting back-to-back 3-pointers and four free throws to blow open what was a one-point game and give the Cajuns their fourth straight win.

"I was asked to take open shots, so I took an open shot," Daigle said. "I made it and came back and did it again. I had to."

Daigle's scoring spree electrified UL's largest home crowd in two years and kept the Cajuns atop the SBC West Division standings. UL is 4-0 in conference play for the first time since the 1999-2000 season and is .500 for the first time in three years.

"The atmosphere was amazing," said UL's Corey Bloom, who hit two big 3s in the second half and finished with eight points. "You felt the floor vibrating."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott

15. Default Re: "You felt the floor vibrating."

I'm excited," Dees said. "To be 4-0 in this league is huge. We're going to take about half a day to enjoy this one."

That is the right attitude, take half a day to celebrate, and then go back to work. I really like this team.

Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 . LastLast

Thread Information