Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007-08 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Default Re: Louisiana vs Hawai'i (Wednesday)

We have a great chance of picking up our third win of the season on tomorrow. Anyone know who else we may play in the tourney?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Could be any of the other 4 teams that are there.

Ohio
    St. John's
    Tulane
    Georgia
    East Tennessee St

3. UL Basketball Geaux West Young Man . . . MEN

Minutes after his impressive debut Sunday in UL's 68-67 win at UL-Monroe to open Sun Belt Conference play, Travis Bureau finally showed some nerves.

But this had nothing to do with playing basketball.

It had everything to do with the 4,417-mile flight the Ragin' Cajuns (2-6 overall, 1-0 SBC) would make Monday to Honolulu, Hawaii, where they would play three games in four days in the Rainbow Classic before returning to Lafayette on Sunday.

Bureau dreaded making the trip. In fact, the freshman forward stayed up all Sunday night and Monday morning so he could sleep undisturbed during the flight.

But he was looking forward to doing one thing once he landed in Hawaii.

"I'm definitely going to the beach," said Bureau, whose Cajuns play Hawaii (3-4) at 11:30 p.m. (CST) today. "I've been to the beach, but it's Hawaii. It's a new experience."

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

4. UL Basketball Opponent View: Well rested UH ready for UL

HONOLULU - The University of Hawai`i men's basketball team (3-4) hosts the 44th Annual Outrigger Hotels & Resorts Rainbow Classic, Dec. 19-22 at the Stan Sheriff Center. UH will face Louisiana-Lafayette (2-6) of the Sun Belt Conference on Wednesday, the tournament's opening night. Tip-off is 7:35 p.m.

It will be the first game in 10 days for the 'Bows, the team's longest layoff of the season. Hawai`i last played on Dec. 9, defeating Long Beach State, 61-57. UH has yet to win back-to-back games this season and will look to do so against a Ragin' Cajun squad that will be playing its sixth road game of the year.

Joining UH and ULL in the tournament are East Tennessee State, Georgia, Ohio, St. John's, St. Mary's and Tulane.

The rest of the story

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr View Post
    _ We have a great chance of picking up our third win of the season on tomorrow. Anyone know who else we may play in the tourney? _
    We will play either St. John's or Ohio on Friday. If we win tonight, we play at 11:30 PM on Friday night. If we lose, we play at 3 PM on Friday afternoon.

UL Basketball Re: Louisiana vs Hawai'i (TONIGHT)

From the article, it looks like Hawaii is a pretty big team. Their shortest starter is 6'5".

Default Re: Louisiana vs Hawai'i (TONIGHT)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ From the article, it looks like Hawaii is a pretty big team. Their shortest starter is 6'5". _
    I believe the two inside players for Hawaii are from overseas. Note, one of the team's in the tourney is St. Mary's from California. Although not a name team, they have been in the rankings this year and may be the best squad in the tournament. Personally, I hope we get to play St. John's and Georgia. That would give us a chance to go against two teams from BCS leagues on a neutral court.

Default Re: Louisiana vs Hawai'i (TONIGHT)

Also, St. Mary's has a former Ragin' Cajun on its coaching staff in David Patrick. David is doing a great job over there, and has big time contacts over in Australia.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Down the WarHawks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ geo,Rhineaux, Me, Hammer, Cajunsmike, Crawfish, etc., all members of SSOOT. Its a great class of people.

Z _
    So, who wants to start an oil company?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    geo,Rhineaux, Me, Hammer, Cajunsmike, Crawfish, etc., all members of SSOOT. Its a great class of people.

Z
    Are yall talking about grads? If so I made that mark this past Saturday

11. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Down the WarHawks

Well congrats to you, so did I. It is a good feeling. I have been spending my week in OSHA/SafeGulf/Marine Survival training, if that means anything to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun View Post
    _ Well congrats to you, so did I. It is a good feeling. I have been spending my week in OSHA/SafeGulf/Marine Survival training, if that means anything to anyone. _
    Halliburton? schlumberger? Baker?

13. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Down the WarHawks

nah, I'm with APS a marine navigation/ survey company. Some bathymetry, geophysical data acquisition. It is owned by JD Silvetti, the ship I will be working on is in aruba looking for natalie holloway right now.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_cajun
    _ Well congrats to you, so did I. It is a good feeling. I have been spending my week in OSHA/SafeGulf/Marine Survival training, if that means anything to anyone. _
    Yea, means something to me. Spent two week in survival traning for the North Sea twenty years ago including the 93 ft. free fall life boat. Something I will never forget.

15. UL Basketball Louisiana Shocks Hawaii 61-59

HONOLULU, O’ahu – Louisiana suffocated Hawaii all night on defense, forcing 19 turnovers as the Ragin’ Cajuns stunned the host Rainbow Warriors 61-59 at the Stan Sheriff Center.

Louisiana (3-6) will face the Ohio Bobcats (7-3) Friday at 11:30 p.m. (CT) in game eight of the 44th Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic. Ohio narrowly defeated St. John’s 71-69 in the first game of the tournament.

Elijah Millsap (Grambling, La.) finished with a game-high 11 rebounds to go along with two steals, despite shooting 0-for-11. In his last four games, Millsap has gone 2-for-30 (6.7 percent). Late in the second half, Millsap dislocated the pinky finger on his non-shooting hand, but came back in for the game’s final 20 seconds.

Louisiana shot 31 percent from the field, going 5-of-15 from beyond the three-point arc. Hawai`I shot 38.2 percent, while shooting a dismal 13.3 percent from three-point range.

“Last night during our film session, I challenged Elijah to step up defensively,” Louisiana head coach Robert Lee said. “I told him I didn’t care if he didn’t score a point, so long as he played well on defense.

“Elijah’s job was to defend,” Lee said. “Of course, I didn’t expect him to go 0-for-11, but the defensive job he did on Bobby Nash was outstanding.

“Even after Elijah dislocated his finger, he comes to me during the timeout and asked me to go into the game to defend Nash. Then, he goes in a steals the ball to help us win the game.”

Sophomore Randell Daigle (Lafayette, La.) led the way for Louisiana with a career-high 13 points on 4-of-12 shooting along with a career-best five assists.

Both Courtney Wallace (New Orleans, La.) and Abray Milson (Lafayette, La.) set new career rebounding highs, tallying nine and eight respectively.

Matt Gibson and Riley Luettgerodt each chipped in a game-high 15 points, while Bobby Nash added 10 points.

Louisiana continued to turn up the pressure defensively on Hawai`i. However, the Cajuns would fall behind early in the second half as the Rainbow Warriors extended their lead to as many as six, 30-24. But, a 5-0 run by Louisiana pulled the Cajuns back to within one, 30-29.

Hawai`i followed with an identical 5-0 run to regain a six-point edge, 35-29. The contest would continue flip-flop as Louisiana would cut it close until Hawai`i regained its six-point lead.

That trend changed with the Cajuns trailing 40-34. After a Hawai`i basket, Daigle continued his three-point shooting clinic with a 23-footer from the top of the key, cutting it to 40-37. On the ensuing possession, David Dees (Dayton, Ohio) put up an easy floater in the lane to cut it to one, 40-39, forcing a Hawai`i timeout.

The ‘Bows answered with a 9-3 run, taking its largest lead of the game – seven points, 49-42. A fade-away by Chris Gradnigo (Lake Charles, La.) ended UH’s rally as it would start an 11-0 Louisiana run. Gradnigo then hit a triple from the right corner to tie the contest at 49 all.

Two free throws by La’Ryan Gary (Lafayette, La.) gave Louisiana the lead, 51-49, for the first time since the first half. Gradnigo followed with another outstanding hustle play, stealing the in-bounds pass and laying it in for a four-point UL cushion.

Hawai`i later tied it, 56-56, with 1:33 remaining in regulation on a Riley Luettgerodt free throw. Millsap would then give Louisiana a one-point lead, 57-56, at the charity stripe.

With 21 seconds left on the clock, Daigle drained both freebies to give Louisiana a 59-56 edge.

Louisiana missed its first 10 field goals of the first half as the hosting Rainbow Warriors took an early 6-0 lead. Louisiana’s drought, however, who end quickly as the Cajuns’ defense kick-started an 8-0 run.

Bureau’s trey from the left corner provided Louisiana with its first points of the game, cutting the UH lead to 6-3 at the 14:44 mark. Then, Tyren Johnson (Edgard, La.) stole the ensuing in-bounds pass and ended it with an emphatic slam dunk in transition.

Stephen Verwers then lost the ball as Hawai`i its way up court. The ball landed in the hands of Daigle who drilled a 24-foot jumped from the top of the key, giving the Cajuns their first lead of the contest, 8-6.

Louisiana’s two-point edged lasted for two minutes until Matt Gibson hit a triple from the left corner to give Hawai`i a one-point lead, 9-8.

A second deep three-pointer by Daigle regained a two-point cushion for the Cajuns, 11-9, with 11:17 to play. P.J. Owsley answered with a jumper in the paint, knotting the contest at 11 all.

The Cajuns responded with a Gary lay-in to tie the game at 13-13. Hawai`i then went on a 5-0 run to take an 18-13 lead before Gary ended the Bows’ rally with an 18-footer to cut it to 18-15.

Louisiana would go into the locker room down just two points, 24-22, thanks to a huge block on Nash by Gary which resulted in a Corey Bloom (New Orleans, La.) transition lay-up.

Despite shooting just 26 percent from the field in the first half, Louisiana managed to keep the Hawai`i halftime lead to two points. Daigle led all scorers with six points thanks to a pair of long-distance triples. Gary and Bloom each chipped in four points for the Cajuns.

The Rainbow Warriors shot 34.4 percent from the floor, while going a dismal 1-for-7 (14.3 percent) from three-point range. Gibson led the ‘Bows with five points, while three others added four each.

Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns will return to the hardwood Friday when they face the Ohio Bobcats in championship play at the Stan Sheriff Center. Tip-off is set for 11:30 p.m. (CT). Friday’s game will be televised on KLFT-TV (Cox Digital Channel 135) in Lafayette.

RaginCajuns.com

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread Information