Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: re tooling the pepper

Default re tooling the pepper

ok.follow me. At work I was sent an email about the top 25 SI mascots. It was posted to tigerdroppings by a TCU fan to take a small shot at LSU and of course since SI called Lafayette it was dig (by the office LSU fan) at UL. But it brought about some thinnking when I looked at the list. Delta State caught my eye (HUD) and they have the Fighting Okra. Yep the fighting Okra (Check out the youtude video). They have tshirts and they incorporate pimping the university into the youtube videos (there is more than one). So I googled Fear the Pepper and behold there is a facebook page already established by UL fans with tshirts and all.

What would you think if Cayanne is redone.get that damn silly smile off his face and rebrand him to be a driving force (think of HUD reborn in Cayanne) for ALL UL sports.

https://www.facebook.com/fearthepepper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS589zKAlnY

Default Re: re tooling the pepper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul6lN98MAE

a explaination by the admin of why it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuf View Post
    What would you think if Cayanne is redone.get that damn silly smile off his face and rebrand him to be a driving force (think of HUD reborn in Cayanne) for ALL UL sports.
    Uhh, NO.

The pepper must die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Default Re: re tooling the pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuf View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul6lN98MAE

a explaination by the admin of why it was done.
    A few things.

Their use of Okra was student born and natural not unlike Ragin' Cajuns or the massive use of Bull Gators in UL publications prior to the store bought use of a pepper.

They are doing it wrong though, Okra has built in cheer "OK RA! OK RA! OK RA! OK RA!"

My mom used to wake me up with a douse of water, so I relate.

At UL they have to quit throwing good money after bad.

After a whole year of exposure the pepper has less than 300 likes? Speaks volumes.

But when I saw what the Okra used to motivate the swimmer I knew the right direction for UL to Geaux. Back to the Swamp for a BullGator not back to the plowed fields for a pepper or okra.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Uhh, NO.

The pepper must die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL. You guys crack me up. Some of you don't know a good thing when you see it. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Delta St. is doing a fantastic job with this, and the remarks by the admins in the second posted video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul6lN98MAE make the case for why it is such a good idea.

Embrace it. Love it. Make it work. We can all agree that the current embodiment of the pepper needs a little work, but if you use your imagination you can see that we can do a lot with this and separate ourselves from other universities. Dogs and gators don't do that for us.

I thought it was interesting that the Delta Admins pointed out that it was the older alums that were resistant to the Okra.

Good post Bigbuf.

6. Default Re: re tooling the pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    LOL. You guys crack me up. Some of you don't know a good thing when you see it. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Delta St. is doing a fantastic job with this, and the remarks by the admins in the second posted video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul6lN98MAE make the case for why it is such a good idea.

Embrace it. Love it. Make it work. We can all agree that the current embodiment of the pepper needs a little work, but if you use your imagination you can see that we can do a lot with this and separate ourselves from other universities. Dogs and gators don't do that for us.

I thought it was interesting that the Delta Admins pointed out that it was the older alums that were resistant to the Okra.

Good post Bigbuf.
    How much has been spent on making the pepper work?

All combined I heard over $30,000 ( I'm not talking about post production marketing)

It has already been retooled twice.

Stop the insanity of expecting a different result.

jmo

ps I like the apostrophe

The okra is division II the pepper is division III

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    How much has been spent on making the pepper work?

All combined I heard over $30,000 ( I'm not talking about post production marketing)

It has already been retooled twice.

Stop the insanity of expecting a different result.

jmo

ps I like the apostrophe
    Oh, my bust. I didn't realize we were talking about money.

How much did the LSUA&M tiger enclosure cost?

How much would it cost for the gator pen that we all seem to think is such a swell idea?

What do you figure that FSU puts into the Osceola and Renegade?

We could go on like this ad nauseum.

I think you know this isn't really about money. But if it is, then let's ask some dedicated alum to buy us a bulldog or a Catahoula Hound (or a Pug for all I care) and call it a day. What this is really about is advancing the U. Some of you guys seem to think that unless we have some sort of muscled-up critter then we can't be cool. All I have been saying about this is we should embrace the things that make us distinct. Cajun culture is one of the most awesome things on the planet. We should embrace what is particularly ours. THAT is what makes us cool. Doing what someone else has already done just makes us another U at best and a wannabe at worst. FEAR THE PEPPER.

When I viewed the video's it just worked for me. Maybe its the scheme they used, the attitude of okra, or just something clicked. I dont know how thwy spent or how many times its been re-worked but what I do know is that it has been a poor effort. With the likes of the two (sorry guys forgot the names) videos outfits we have producing some DAMN good videos, record money coming into the athletics department, the approval of the master plan, some of the brightest kids in the state and a university begining to gain a reputation of taking care of business (and ACCTUALLY taking care of business).maybe its time for our transfermation to boil over into the mascot and finally get it right.

Is it easier to turn around a misguided mascot or come up with a whole NEW one. That 30K got us press.all be it bad pressbut what if the change is made and we knock it out of the park. Create a blitzkreig marketing campaign and its another success story for UL.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    Oh, my bust. I didn't realize we were talking about money.

How much did the LSUA&M tiger enclosure cost?

How much would it cost for the gator pen that we all seem to think is such a swell idea?

What do you figure that FSU puts into the Osceola and Renegade?

We could go on like this ad nauseum.

I think you know this isn't really about money. But if it is, then let's ask some dedicated alum to buy us a bulldog or a Catahoula Hound (or a Pug for all I care) and call it a day. What this is really about is advancing the U. Some of you guys seem to think that unless we have some sort of muscled-up critter then we can't be cool. All I have been saying about this is we should embrace the things that make us distinct. Cajun culture is one of the most awesome things on the planet. We should embrace what is particularly ours. THAT is what makes us cool. Doing what someone else has already done just makes us another U at best and a wannabe at worst. FEAR THE PEPPER.
    I'm not making it about money, the opposite, at some point you have to be willing to walk away from a bad investment. I was told in no uncertain terms that the reason they were sticking with the pepper was because they didn't want to lose their $25,000 investment. Then they proceeded to remodel the costume and up the investment.

As far as the cost of a BullGator pen the answer is zero. UL already owns one of the worlds most valuable gator pens. It is priceless and you can find it on campus. It can't be duplicated unless you want to wait 130 years for Cypress trees to age and catch up.

I'm not making it about money, but there is a term for sticking with something that is broke when you have the gold standard under your nose.

jmo

Can you picture ESPN Gameday, Corso in front of the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm not making it about money. I was told in no uncertain terms that the reason they were sticking with the pepper was because they didn't want to lose their $25,000 investment. Then they proceeded to remodel the costume and up the investment.

As far as the cost of a BullGator pen the answer is zero. UL already owns one of the worlds most valuable gator pens. It is priceless and you can find it on campus. It can't be duplicated unless you want to wait 130 years for Cypress trees to age and catch up.

I'm not making it about money, but there is a term for sticking with something that is broke when you have the gold standard under your nose.

jmo
    When do our baby gators hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by TurfToe View Post
    When do our baby gators hatch?

We went by this weekend. The nest is piled up and the mama gator was right next to it. I know it takes about 65 days to hatch and it must be very close to that now. They will probably hatch right about the time that the school starts.

The cool thing is that it's right next to the fence and easily viewable. This is very unusual. We should get some national press from thisFlorida Gators?.meh

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    We went by this weekend. The nest is piled up and the mama gator was right next to it. I know it takes about 65 days to hatch and it must be very close to that now. They will probably hatch right about the time that the school starts.
    Guess mom will have to go shopping to get the kids some new school clothes . I am thinking Izod?

15. Default Re: re tooling the pepper

Hope we can get some great photos of this hatching with a little article of more Ragin' Cajuns on campus!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information