Thread: UPS COO credits UL Professor

1. Research UPS COO credits UL Professor

David Abney began his 33-year career as a part-timer loading trucks in 1974 at a UPS facility in Greenwood.

In January, the Greenwood native was named chief operating officer, giving him responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the world's largest package delivery company.

"I was taught from an early age that things do not get handed to you, that you have to earn them," Abney said last week sitting in a conference room at Jackson's UPS operation. He also is president of UPS' airlines, which is the eighth largest in the world. . . .

. . . . Abney credits Delta State University with providing the foundation for his success.

"He didn't need a whole lot of instruction to do the right thing," said John Tanner, a former Delta State professor who taught Abney statistics.

Tanner, who now teaches at the University of Louisiana at La. made a lasting impression on Abney.

"He didn't realize how much he affected me and how much he touched me. . It is those kind of people that make a difference and that is what I am trying to do at UPS and Delta State," Abney said.

The rest of the story

Default Re: UPS COO credits UL Professor

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Dr. Tanner is probably one of the best professors UL has. We are lucky to have him teach here.

Thread Information