Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

Default Re: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

Well, before Mr. Cook, it was a Burger Chef. There was one on campus and one at the corner of Johnston and S.College, where the new Panera Bread is now. One summer day, in 1970 or 71, me and a couple of friends rode our bikes to the Burger Chef on campus, from Rayne! We took I-10 until we got to Scott, then were told to get off by a real nice state trooper. We ate at the BC, remember drinking about 3 choc. shakes too! Then we headed back to Rayne on Ridge Road. Made it back about 3/4 of the way and got a ride back from another friend's Dad who came across us that day. We were tiredbut the felt pretty good about ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Well, before Mr. Cook, it was a Burger Chef. There was one on campus and one at the corner of Johnston and S.College, where the new Panera Bread is now. One summer day, in 1970 or 71, me and a couple of friends rode our bikes to the Burger Chef on campus, from Rayne! We took I-10 until we got to Scott, then were told to get off by a real nice state trooper. We ate at the BC, remember drinking about 3 choc. shakes too! Then we headed back to Rayne on Ridge Road. Made it back about 3/4 of the way and got a ride back from another friend's Dad who came across us that day. We were tiredbut the felt pretty good about ourselves.
    No fancy road bikes back in that day.

I did a 50 miler when I was 14. A bit tough. No wind resistance back then.

A very nice State trooper indeed, lol.

And not to be too picky, but if you are an old fart like me you will remember that the BC was actually where N. College is nowwhen they built the road they moved it to the Panera Bread location is now, but I think it was Mr. Cook by then????

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    A very nice State trooper indeed, lol.

And not to be too picky, but if you are an old fart like me you will remember that the BC was actually where N. College is nowwhen they built the road they moved it to the Panera Bread location is now, but I think it was Mr. Cook by then????
    Probably right.it is north of Johnston, so I its called N.College. I still call South College!

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    No fancy road bikes back in that day.

I did a 50 miler when I was 14. A bit tough. No wind resistance back then.
    Rightwe were on what was referred to back then as Stingray bikes. If I remember right, they all had about 20" wheels and a back brake with the banana seat! Good for wheelies and going off ramps, in and out of ditches! Quick starts, but no top end speed. Lots of pedaling! I never tried that again!

The write up about the name change from the 1984 yearbook. Sad to think that there were still hopes, as is stated at the end of the article.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajuns_fan View Post
    The write up about the name change from the 1984 yearbook. Sad to think that there were still hopes, as is stated at the end of the article.
    We screwed the pooch on the name. Should have used Louisiana University and not fought for the University of Louisiana System. We would have been Louisiana for over 30 years now. Thank you Dr. A.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana's Campus 1983 - 84

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Rightwe were on what was referred to back then as Stingray bikes. If I remember right, they all had about 20" wheels and a back brake with the banana seat! Good for wheelies and going off ramps, in and out of ditches! Quick starts, but no top end speed. Lots of pedaling! I never tried that again!
    i think most of us had one at that age during that time. sweet looking lil' ride. mine rolled from one end of the parish (starting near ridge rd.) to the other (through scott and on to the moss st. area for some northside chicks). that was my regular route on a saturday.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    i think most of us had one at that age during that time. sweet looking lil' ride. mine rolled from one end of the parish (starting near ridge rd.) to the other (through scott and on to the moss st. area for some northside chicks). that was my regular route on a saturday.
    The Schwinn Stingray. We all had one. Then came the English Racers. And everyone had to get a "10 speed". Can you imagine the miles kids put on bicycles back in those days?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information