Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheers/Chants

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Cheers/Chants

I had some ideas for cheers and chants at the football games, just a few simple things that could be done to add to the atmosphere, and hopefully start some traditions. I remember simple stuff that used to go on at Cajun Field and at the Cajun dome where one side of the stadium would yell RED and the other side would yell WHITE, or GEAUX! and CAJUNS!, or U! and L!. things that we don't see anymore.

I wanted to get in touch with the cheerleading captain or coordinator or whoever, but don't know who that is. Anyone know who would be the best person to talk to and how to get in touch with them?

I know that its hard to hear anything like that coming form the home side, when you're sitting on the student side. Much less trying to get something started coming from both sides. It would help greatly with getting the noise level up in the stadium and creating a better atmosphere for the players, and all the "new" fans and kids who are at their first games and such.

Default Re: Cheers/Chants

The chicken used to do that at the basketball games with the "D" + "FENCE". Just have half the cheerleaders have one sign for "GEAUX" and the other half one sign for "CAJUNS". Do the same for "U" + "L".

People would respond. I would.

Yes, the Fabulous Cajun Chicken did the "Red/White" thing and would run around with the "D" and the fence. Maybe our "mascot," and I use that term loosely, could run around and do that type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cajungirl23 View Post
    _ Yes, the Fabulous Cajun Chicken did the "Red/White" thing and would run around with the "D" and the fence. Maybe our "mascot," and I use that term loosely, could run around and do that type of thing. _
    How about have one side yell WE ARE and the other side yell LOUISIANA.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cheers/Chants

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ I had some ideas for cheers and chants at the football games, just a few simple things that could be done to add to the atmosphere, and hopefully start some traditions. I remember simple stuff that used to go on at Cajun Field and at the Cajun dome where one side of the stadium would yell RED and the other side would yell WHITE, or GEAUX! and CAJUNS!, or U! and L!. things that we don't see anymore.

I wanted to get in touch with the cheerleading captain or coordinator or whoever, but don't know who that is. Anyone know who would be the best person to talk to and how to get in touch with them?

I know that its hard to hear anything like that coming form the home side, when you're sitting on the student side. Much less trying to get something started coming from both sides. It would help greatly with getting the noise level up in the stadium and creating a better atmosphere for the players, and all the "new" fans and kids who are at their first games and such. _
    I don't know how you are RHineaux but I made the same suggestion to the CHeerleaders two years ago and last year. I went directly to the CHeerleaders Captain. When were at UL in the mid 70s, the cheerleaders had the student body and the home fans compete against each other to see who could out yell each other. It was the student section and the home side cheering against each other with one side yelling RED and the other yelling WHITE.

It is obvious that my request went on deaf ears cause they never did it. They don't realize how effective it was back then or they would do it now. Let's hope this gets something started and someone of importance reads these 2 messages and gets to the cheerleaders. I even called Sherry LeBas, Women's athletic director today to see if she could help me and all I got was a voice message to leave a message . That ain't good.
    SO, now you have got me determined to get this done especially in time for the mickey neese game.
    Geaux Cajuns

6. Default Re: Cheers/Chants

Michelle Bernard is over the spirit groups. She took over the position after Ross Walters left. Give her a call or email her. 337-482-5108 michellebernard@louisiana.edu

When we're about to kick off and the players are lined up and ready to go, everybody can go "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU", and when Edminston or whoever kicks the ball, everybody goes, "LLLLLLLL!!!". Catchy, ain't it?

Instead of the opposing Geaux! Cajuns! cheer, perhaps we could get one going like at the Tigue. Do the opposing Ragin! Cajuns! cheer.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    _ I don't know how you are RHineaux but I made the same suggestion to the CHeerleaders two years ago and last year. I went directly to the CHeerleaders Captain. When were at UL in the mid 70s, the cheerleaders had the student body and the home fans compete against each other to see who could out yell each other. It was the student section and the home side cheering against each other with one side yelling RED and the other yelling WHITE.

It is obvious that my request went on deaf ears cause they never did it. They don't realize how effective it was back then or they would do it now. Let's hope this gets something started and someone of importance reads these 2 messages and gets to the cheerleaders. I even called Sherry LeBas, Women's athletic director today to see if she could help me and all I got was a voice message to leave a message . That ain't good.
    SO, now you have got me determined to get this done especially in time for the mickey neese game.
    Geaux Cajuns _
    Thanks for all the responses guys. If I get in touch with Michele Bernard, I'll be sure to pass those along too. Now that this has also kinda become a suggestion thread, one of the ones I had thought about before was spelling/yelling out C-A-J-U-N-S --CAJUNS, after the fight song is played. It's kind of a take off of what the Philly Eagles do at the end of their fight song, but we have the perfect nickname to do it.

Jim, If I get a chance today, I'll try to call them. If not, if you and a couple others around here stay on them, maybe we'll get through. If they still don't do anything for us, maybe we can either go raid their stash of signs and do the red white, etc chants ourselves. Or, we call TD Smith and get him to get the guys in the booth to put RED/WHITE, etc on the scoreboard and that will catch on soon enough.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

This is not an option. It must be done. This stuff makes a big difference in what family members at a game remember as to whether our games are fun or boring. It will pay dividends. It must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ This is not an option. It must be done. This stuff makes a big difference in what family members at a game remember as to whether our games are fun or boring. It will pay dividends. It must be done. _
    Well, I got a response earlier this morning, and a very good response at that.

I am the Spirit Group Coordinator, in addition to being a program advisor for student activities in the University Program Council. I was just hired to fill this position in June of this year. Prior to June I was the choreographer for the Ragin’ Jazz Dance Team for the past 2 ½ years, a position I continue today. I certainly appreciate your support of our University and as a graduate of UL I also have a strong desire to see our University excel in all areas. I have been working very closely with administration to make changes necessary to encourage our fans to participate vocally in Ragin’ Cajun Athletics.

Ironically, some cheers you brought up in your email have already been implemented in our program over the summer. Specifically, the yea rouge cheer and spelling “cajuns” after the fight song. I have plans for many other crowd oriented cheers, but so much of what we do involves other departments as well. So changes will be made over time, as I work to rebuild our cheer program.

I encourage you to continue showing your support and encourage others around you to do the same. Not just when we do cheers, but standing up when the fight song is played and singing along. Also, the cheerleaders will no longer cheer on the student side. With the location of the student section directly behind the visitor’s bench, the cheerleaders are not able to stand in front of the student section. So this year they will be cheering on the home side.

I have also been working on improving our mascot program as well, so you will see Cayenne more involved in games, events and community functions.

Again, thank you for your email and we hope to hear you this Saturday at the 1st home football game.

Michelle

Michelle Bernard
    Spirit Groups/Program Advisor
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette
    337-482-5108
    ---

I'm going to send her a reply this afternoon when i get a chance thanking her for her time and hard work, and commenting a little further on some of the comments and suggestions you guys put forth. I'll also try to probe a little as to what some of the road blocks in creating/performing the chants and cheers and stuff, and report back here. Perhaps this sort of beaurocratic BS is from an old regime, and the new regime isn't aware of it, and we can make enough calls and e-mails to get it taken out of there. Just another thing that we've never heard of and is micromanaged way too much for its own good, and subsequently prevents growth and progress of the school. Its a shame that this sort of thing has worked its way down so far as to effect something as miniscule as cheerleading.

I'll report back when I hear back from her.
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

Awesome. Great response and it's a relief to find out that someone appears to be on top of it. If you are standing still, you are dead. We must continue to get better at everything, including cheers.

Please do NOT do "WE ARE . LOUISIANA"
    It's both a rip off and hs too many sylables. Remember the drunk fans, please.

K.I.S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    Now that this has also kinda become a suggestion thread, one of the ones I had thought about before was spelling/yelling out C-A-J-U-N-S --CAJUNS, after the fight song is played. It's kind of a take off of what the Philly Eagles do at the end of their fight song, but we have the perfect nickname to do it.

Isn't that what the Tiggers do in BR? I'd rather be a little bit more original.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Please do NOT do "WE ARE . LOUISIANA"
    It's both a rip off and hs too many sylables. Remember the drunk fans, please.

K.I.S.S.
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information