Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Campus 1976 - 77

Default Re: Cajun Field 1976

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Good info, and here is an account of how that happened, that is also a great read:

http://multicians.org/site-usl.html

ETA: it also has a list of the students involved.it would be really neat if we could get their story, so I wonder if anyone on here happens to know any of them:

"Peter Bahrs, Rose Carinhas, Stan Chesnutt, Ken Clement, Matt Delcambre, Brian Doré, Bryan Durio, Edmund Gallizzi, Ken Horton, Randall Jouett, Craig Martin, Sammy Migues, Lane Robert, Paul Rogers, Robert Sonnier, Johnnie Stafford, Jim Stephens, Bill Tims, Mary Tims, Scott Sheppard, Julie Jackson"
    Sounds like Jim Stephens was one of the first "Hackers". ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Sounds like Jim Stephens was one of the first "Hackers". ha ha.
    Multics and Pyramid were both easily "hacked". Back then there was little to no thought regarding security. Of course there was no "internet". In the mid eighties we were just beginning to get to the point of being able to "dial in" to the Pyramid system and work remotely.

Within the main story is a link to a brief story from the team that installed the system, including this pic of them just prior to a going-away crawfish boil. Amazing how somethings never change.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Live and still do on St. Camille for the last 52 years. Saw Cajun Field go up, plus the Dome and Tigue Moore. Hunted dove where Cajun Field sets. My back yard was the Agriculture Farm where I got all my vegetables, greens, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, beans, okra, watermelon and
    cantaloupe sometimesliving in the country was great back then

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Live and still do on St. Camille for the last 52 years. Saw Cajun Field go up, plus the Dome and Tigue Moore. Hunted dove where Cajun Field sets. My back yard was the Agriculture Farm where I got all my vegetables, greens, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, beans, okra, watermelon and
    Country life is the best way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Country life is the best way to live.
    Tried to convince my wife 40 years ago about that. She and I were both raised in the country, but moving away for the shopping centers was hard to convince her to share a life with me and the kids in the country living. I still have 10 acres in Vermillion Parish out of Milton looking for a good home. Maybe one of my grand kids might see fit to live the country life. by the way my wife and I are still together going on 62 years with a host of grand kids and great-grand kidsI stop counting.

The old charity hospital was located on St Mary diagonally across from Olde Tyme Grocery. The University traded with the State the property the Charity Hospital was on for the property that UMC is on now. The trade was made with the stipulation that the new hospital would be named University Medical Center. You can imagine the hubbub that caused with the LSU people and the state legislature( They though USL wanted to start a Med School). Sometime about that time Dr Authemant and Dr Oliver decided USL would get the biggest computer available. That's when they got the Honeywell MULTICS computer system. Only about 6 were built at the time. 3 or 4 were at the Pentagon another at MIT and the final one was here at USL. And that was the start of the computer science school. LSU did not have Computer Science at the time but after our school got so big and so good they had to have one too. Imagine that.
    I had always heard that it was donated to the University by NASA via an USL graduate working there. Not true?

The old charity hospital was located on St Mary diagonally across from Olde Tyme Grocery. The University traded with the State the property the Charity Hospital was on for the property that UMC is on now. The trade was made with the stipulation that the new hospital would be named University Medical Center. You can imagine the hubbub that caused with the LSU people and the state legislature( They though USL wanted to start a Med School). Sometime about that time Dr Authemant and Dr Oliver decided USL would get the biggest computer available. That's when they got the Honeywell MULTICS computer system. Only about 6 were built at the time. 3 or 4 were at the Pentagon another at MIT and the final one was here at USL. And that was the start of the computer science school. LSU did not have Computer Science at the time but after our school got so big and so good they had to have one too. Imagine that.
    That was when I started at USL in Fall '75–It was SO high tech back then! I remember my term project in my COBOL class was a program where you could enter the price of a new car, your down payment, and the interest rate, it would figure out your monthly payments—BADDASS, Huh?? 😁
    Does anyone else remember waiting in line at the terminal room til after midnight to get on one of these?!? 🙀

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I had always heard that it was donated to the University by NASA via an USL graduate working there. Not true?
    I really don't know for sure. I do know that Dr Jim Oliver was one of the spearheads for computer science.

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    That was when I started at USL in Fall '75–It was SO high tech back then! I remember my term project in my COBOL class was a program where you could enter the price of a new car, your down payment, and the interest rate, it would figure out your monthly payments—BADDASS, Huh?? 😁
    Does anyone else remember waiting in line at the terminal room til after midnight to get on one of these?!? 🙀
    I started with waiting for key punch machines then waiting for a MULTICS terminal. Both at Martin Hall.

11. Default Re: Cajun Field 1976

Great thread

12. Default Re: Cajun Field 1976

And Congress street ended at Bertrand. Parking was a mess when it rained. There were tow trucks on duty in the parking lot to pull cars out if they got stuck in the mud.
    Got a tow from one of those.

The Cajundome under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Lived on St. Camile (608) while in graduate school.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    The Cajundome under construction.
    I like that! Pretty cool

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information