Thread: Campus 1971 - 72

1. Louisiana Campus Campus 1971 - 72

Louisiana Campus 1971-72

Default Re: Campus 1971 - 72

Fletcher Hall, under construction.

Attached Images Attached Images              

Classic example of a "Waffle" slab. The building has several different ways to form columns ( square, rectangular, Sonotubes and Symons forms) to use as teaching tool for the students.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Classic example of a "Waffle" slab. The building has several different ways to form columns ( square, rectangular, Sonotubes and Symons forms) to use as teaching tool for the students.
    With the metal studs, etc., I thought they were some pretty cutting edge things going on for the time period. I also thought the one with just the columns looked ahead of their time.

ETA: the guy who had these says he has about 20 more, plus renderings, presentation drawings, etc., so there will be more forthcoming shortly.

5. Default Re: Campus 1971 - 72

Thanks for the pics, posts and insights.

Time travel.

Another view of a recently completed Cajun Field. Note that UMC not built yet, or much else along N. College/Bertrand. But Congress St seems to be a 4-lane road now.

A map of (1971-72) Lafayette to go with the pic.

Of interest:

1. Cajun Field is represented by a red star.
    2. Congress street ends just past LHS. I remember having to then take a left on Crawford, making your way through that neighborhood, then turn left again onto Churchhill, ending up at the old Binkham Lincoln-Mercury dealership on Johnston.
    3. S. College ends at Johnston street (where the original, best Burger Chef used to be), so there isn't a N. College, etc.
    4. Although the growth in south Lft has started, it seems to end around camellia Blvd, lol.

Again, it's just pretty amazing to be reminded of the amazing growth we've experienced here. I would say that it now ends at E Broussard rd, but it's pretty developed all the way to Maurice.

LaCajuns_fan, what is the significance of the areas highlighted in the light purple compared to the ones in light red/pink. I'm thinking age? I notice much of the "Upper Lafayette" that is visible plus downtown, campus, Freetown, Saints streets, older Oaklawn subdivision is all the pinkish/light red color.

Last edited by CajunFan3406; March 21st, 2016 at 05:28 pm. Reason: Lower Lafayetter who doesn't want to offend my Upper comrades

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    LaCajuns_fan, what is the significance of the areas highlighted in the light purple compared to the ones in light red/pink. I'm thinking age? I notice much of the "Upper Lafayette" that is visible plus downtown, campus, Freetown, Saints streets, older Oaklawn subdivision is all the pinkish/light red color.
    Idk, and in fact had the same question. My best guess is that it represents the city limitswith the darker, more southern parts not yet incorporated yet?

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajuns_fan View Post
    Idk, and in fact had the same question. My best guess is that it represents the city limitswith the darker, more southern parts not yet incorporated yet?
    This is an old USC&GS quad map. The red color represents the city limits of 1921(I think). They used to update the maps every 10 or 15 years. They quit when satellite imagery became commonly available. Now we use georeferenced satellite imagery with LIDAR overlay. Much better and more accurate.

You can still get the quad maps at Louisiana Digital Reproductions on University across from the St. John Cemetery.

From the Barras Architectural firm website, an early version of Fletcher Hall. Very close to the completed product, but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajuns_fan View Post
    From the Barras Architectural firm website, an early version of Fletcher Hall. Very close to the completed product, but not quite.
    It was the ugliest building on campus and did not fit any of the campus architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    It was the ugliest building on campus and did not fit any of the campus architecture.
    Still is and still doesn't.

Thread Information