Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: July 2013: Phil Steele has UL playing Tulane in New Orleans Bowl

Default Re: Phil Steele has UL playing Tulane in New Orleans Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by njustice View Post
    Well, in my opinion, your opinion is a good one. I agree that nola has been wonderful to us, but going to the same bowl every year doesn't really take our program higher. Playing in different markets and bringing lots of Cajun fans is how we're going to change perception and make us more attractive to other conferences.
    Bingo! The NO Bowl has been great to the UL program and will remain in play for the Cajuns as long as we remain in the Sun Belt. But at some point, UL must prove to the presidents and other conference commissioners that the fan base can travel further then 167 miles. Of course that would mean the Cajuns had a great season and were considered for other bowl games. Some Cajun fans need to look at the larger picture and stop getting confomfortable with the status-quo. Bowls are not just about rewarding the athletes and fans, but building your brand recognition.

I want to go to the Texas Bowl in Houston or the Game in Dallas. We would have a huge crowd in Houston as well as I think that would show enough to other conferences more so than the Nola Bowl.

I would think our attendance at a bowl game in Houston against anothe mid major would be half of what it is in New Orleans. Just my opinion though.

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

But, ideally you would not want to take a loss, or lessen the loss by having more in your athletic budget. So that when you move to a bigger and better conference with better bowl payouts, you have a budget that is prepared to handle the travel going to a bigger and better bowls.

I see the athletic budget as the only thing that hampers our ability to move to the next level up. We have the talent in our "major" athletic programs to compete (football, baseball, softball). The talent we recruit gets better when you either win consistently and improve year over year, or you move up in conferences. What we don't have is a CUSA or a Big 12 budget. Oh, and the university has to find a way to pay for all of the phases on the master plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I would think our attendance at a bowl game in Houston against anothe mid major would be half of what it is in New Orleans. Just my opinion though.
    Houston is just another 1 hour longer than New Orleans
    Plus we would still be playing indoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Houston is just another 1 hour longer than New Orleans
    Plus we would still be playing indoors
    Yes, but I also believe that people much rather prefer spending a weekend in New Orleans than Houston.

I don't think we'd bring much more than 20K to Houston to see us play a Western Michigan, but a huge perk of the Texas bowl is that it's a BIG 12/Big 10 tie in. So if you match the Cajuns up with a Texas Tech like last year's Texas Bowl and the Cajuns bring 25k over 200 miles and beat a major opponent, it still looks great for us.

8. Default Re: Phil Steele has UL playing Tulane in New Orleans Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Bingo! The NO Bowl has been great to the UL program and will remain in play for the Cajuns as long as we remain in the Sun Belt. But at some point, UL must prove to the presidents and other conference commissioners that the fan base can travel further then 167 miles. Of course that would mean the Cajuns had a great season and were considered for other bowl games. Some Cajun fans need to look at the larger picture and stop getting confomfortable with the status-quo. Bowls are not just about rewarding the athletes and fans, but building your brand recognition.
    This doesn't apply to you directly but is on topic . . .

Forgive me but to achieve "status-quo" requires more than two years in process.

I remember Bustle firing his top assistants because some fans were upset with status-quo after "1" year. His program never recovered.

Advocating dissatisfaction with the New Orleans Bowl will send a message that will only serve to hurt future attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I don't know if it ever happened but Benson said something about that changing. I think the conference was discussing that as long as the champion has a bowl spot somewhere, the Nola bowl can take who they want.
    You may be right. And that would definitely be good for us. While we dont make any money off of the NO Bowl anymore because of those stupid new conference rules, going to this bowl game is still a great way for us to showcase our school on national TV and it's a great weekend for the players and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Yes, but I also believe that people much rather prefer spending a weekend in New Orleans than Houston.
    This is the part of it that worries me the most. I honestly think there's a decent portion of the people that come to the New Orleans Bowl just for the party. Because if not, how can we bring over 40,000 100 miles away and can barely scrape 25k at home half the time.

11. Default Re: Phil Steele has UL playing Tulane in New Orleans Bowl

Houston has a sizable alumni base but I don't think it come close to approaching New Orleans.

They will come out of the woodwork for an event whereas a regular season game may not even get noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    This is the part of it that worries me the most. I honestly think there's a decent portion of the people that come to the New Orleans Bowl just for the party. Because if not, how can we bring over 40,000 100 miles away and can barely scrape 25k at home half the time.
    Nobody wants to hear it but lsu doesn't play the same day as the Nola bowl either

For me part of the whole bowl experience is the party in New Orleans. I do not think that Houston has that one place where all of the hotels are located and the party never stops. Just my 2 cents, but I would love to see us in a BCS bowl.
    Geaux Cajuns!!

Another New Orleans Bowl would be great, but a change of pace to Mobile or Memphis would be a nice upgrade in prestige also !

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I don't think we'd bring much more than 20K to Houston to see us play a Western Michigan, but a huge perk of the Texas bowl is that it's a BIG 12/Big 10 tie in. So if you match the Cajuns up with a Texas Tech like last year's Texas Bowl and the Cajuns bring 25k over 200 miles and beat a major opponent, it still looks great for us.
    ummmmmm Texas Tech and Minnesota played in Houston last year
    I believe both Houston and Dallas are both Big 12/Big 10 tie in for your information

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information