Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conference rankings

1. Default Conference rankings

Last week we looked at the UL ranking in sports for all the in-state schools---Does anybody have our final finish in the Belt for the year---I think FB 2nd to ASU ----MBB about 4th----WBB about 7th ----Baseball I think 3rd and softball 2nd or third!!! also the tourneys I think were about the same rankings!!!

Default Re: Conference rankings

Boomer, I think this is what you are trying to find out.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTH.eBubasCup.aspx

"The Sun Belt Conference’s annual all sports championship trophy, the “Bubas Cup,” is named after the conference’s first commissioner.
    A native of Gary, Indiana, Vic Bubas graduated from Gary Lew Wallace High School in 1944. Bubas was a two-time All-Conference selection at North Carolina State, helped the Wolfpack win four Southern Conference titles, and played in the 1950 NCAA Final Four."

Boomer, I hope this helps.just don't ask me to explain their ranking system!!

3. Default Re: Conference rankings

Thanks for the help---Football we were in a 3 way tie for 2nd-----men's BK we were 6th----Women's BK we were 9th-----Softball we were 3rd----baseball we were in a 2 way tie for second as there was a tie for 1st place!!!------yea a lil confusing but thanks as always for the help!!! Oh and btw we were in a tie for 6th place in overall sport rankings in the Belt----We need to do much better!!!

We can start the 2013-14 athletic year off right by winning our 1st Conference Championship in footballwe have been Co-Champions onceI thinkI do not think that we were Conference Champions in any sport this past year. It will help our quest to gain membership in another Conference to start winning Championships in this one. I will add that the right people have taken notice of our post season success in Football, Baseball and Softball. It is critical that Basketball step up and turn the corner this year.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    We can start the 2013-14 athletic year off right by winning our 1st Conference Championship in footballwe have been Co-Champions onceI thinkI do not think that we were Conference Champions in any sport this past year. It will help our quest to gain membership in another Conference to start winning Championships in this one. I will add that the right people have taken notice of our post season success in Football, Baseball and Softball. It is critical that Basketball step up and turn the corner this year.
    I believe the last time we were champion/ co champ was in 2005 maybe right after Katrina. We three way tied with stAte and the chicken hawks in Monroe I believe. I'm not solid on that date but I believe that's who we tied with.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    I believe the last time we were champion/ co champ was in 2005 maybe right after Katrina. We three way tied with stAte and the chicken hawks in Monroe I believe. I'm not solid on that date but I believe that's who we tied with.
    It was 05 because ark state played in the "NO Bowl" at Cajun field.

7. Default Re: Conference rankings

The next juxtaposition will get interesting as we compare our 2012-13 year to the CUSAs and the Big12!!! Guess a lot will be estimating as we campare rankings and scores---BUT this is HUGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Thanks for the help---Football we were in a 3 way tie for 2nd-----men's BK we were 6th----Women's BK we were 9th-----Softball we were 3rd----baseball we were in a 2 way tie for second as there was a tie for 1st place!!!------yea a lil confusing but thanks as always for the help!!! Oh and btw we were in a tie for 6th place in overall sport rankings in the Belt----We need to do much better!!!
    Boomer if there is a tie for first then we couldn't be second place.lol

I don't want to give too much credence to the importance of the Bubas Cup, but there is some related information that does need to be considered when pondering our attractiveness to other conferences. Yes, we all know that football is the major sport viewed when conferences look at an athletic program, but at some point, all the sports a school hosts has to play a factor, especially the success of those sports. Overall, the Cajuns tied for sixth in this year's Bubas Cup. There are 12 schools and 18 sports counted towards the standings, the Cajuns field 16 of those 18 sports.

This year's finish is not unusual for the Cajuns, they normally finish around the middle of the standings. Our success last season came in football (tied for 2nd), softball (3rd), and baseball (tied for 3rd). There were 6 sports in which we were within 3 spots of last place. Two of the teams that finished ahead of us are now gone, we tied for 6th with one of the other two and the other tied for last. Arkansas State and South Alabama normally finish ahead of us in the standings and Western has one more season left with us. With all the other things going against our athletic program, lack of money, substandard facilities, yada, yada, yada, it's also important for us to reach and maintain a level of success in all our programs, not just the "Big 3/5," whatever number you want to put to it.

As we all know, at least I hope we do, money will determine how quickly we advance in our goals for better conference affiliation, better recruits, better facilities, greater success. The two young ladies that are working on the fundraising are meeting with success, as I understand it. It's important for us to give as best we can to RCAF, but also to give leads for businesses that can fund the large sums of money needed for the facilities upgrades listed on the master plan. I hope we are all working hard to make things happen so we can see the improvements in a very short period of time.

Good post Terrell.

11. Default Re: Conference rankings

Until UL can gain points from Swimming & Diving and Women's Golf . . . a Vic Bubas Cup (trophy) may be out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Until UL can gain points from Swimming & Diving and Women's Golf . . . a Vic Bubas Cup (trophy) may be out of reach.
    Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the points averaged out over the number of sports you participate, rather than a total amount? I don't think we are being penalized for not having women's golf, just not doing well enough in the ones we do have.

It my understanding we are looking at adding women's golf and we will be adding beach volleyball. Looking forward to both.
    Geaux Cajuns!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the points averaged out over the number of sports you participate, rather than a total amount? I don't think we are being penalized for not having women's golf, just not doing well enough in the ones we do have.

Its total points. However, the amount of points available in a particular sport is directly related to the number of teams participating. So if there's only 5 teams in a sport, last place will receive 1 pt while 1st place gets 5 pts.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post

Its total points. However, the amount of points available in a particular sport is directly related to the number of teams participating. So if there's only 5 teams in a sport, last place will receive 1 pt while 1st place gets 5 pts.
    Thanks for the link; I have no idea what I was thinking of!

The two things I get from this info; you have to have a good budget to compete for the Bubas Cup AND FAU had a horrible year!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information