While at UL , Lon Badeaux set the indoor and outdoor records in the pole vault at 17-7 and 17-5, respectively. In 1996, he was awarded All-America status with a third-place finish in the NCAA Indoor Championships.

JONESBORO (7/28/07) – Arkansas State University Director of Athletics Dr. Dean Lee announced Saturday that Lon Badeaux, who prior to serving as the Indians’ interim head track and field coach the last six weeks was an eight-year assistant with the program, has been named ASU’s head track and field coach.

“We are thrilled to announce Coach Badeaux as ASU’s new head track and field coach,” said Dr. Lee. “He comes highly regarded and highly respected by not only our student-athletes and the track and field community in Jonesboro, but also by his peers throughout the country. We have also been extremely grateful and impressed with his leadership and management style while he served as interim head coach during the transition period.

“We had a very strong pool of approximately 70 applicants and conducted interviews with a number of those individuals over the last six weeks. Those candidates included both head and assistant coaches at different levels, including the NCAA Division I-A level. During the process of interviewing and visiting with multiple candidates, we found that we kept using Coach Badeaux as the standard in our evaluation process and realized that we had the best candidate already in-house. We are delighted to have someone of his character, stature and skill level to lead our track and field program.”

During his time at Arkansas State, Badeaux coached 41 Sun Belt Conference champions, seven school record holders, 23 regional qualifiers, 16 national qualifiers, five All-Americans and one Olympian. He was named runner-up for the 2004 Mondo National Assistant Coach of the Year for jumps and multi-events by the USA Track and Field Coaches for Division I-A. He was also named to the US Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association National Committee for scheduling.

“I am very excited about becoming ASU’s head track and field coach and very grateful to Dr. Lee for giving me this opportunity,” said Badeaux. “I look forward to putting together a great program that can build on its past success and great support from the community, athletic department and University. We want to be competitive on a national level and will continue to compete for conference championships.”

The rest of the story

ArkansasState
http://www.asuindians.com/