1. Default UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Louisiana's 1939-40 Campus

1940 advertisement

JUNGLE GARDENS

of

AVERY ISLAND, LA.

Owned By

E. A. McIlhenny

Are now doing the landscape work of Southwestern LA. Institute, endeavoring to build this campus into a picture which will fit in with the Azalea and Camellia Trail of Lafayette. Your criticisms will be appreciated.

Front Gate on Institute Avenue.

Earl K. Long gym

2. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

The Tabasco group and UL used to have a "working" relationship.

It could happen again.

Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Found this on the "Lafayette Memories" Facebook page. Per that post, this is UL circa 1939

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

The current student union sits right where Southwestern Stadium and football field were.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The Tabasco group and UL used to have a "working" relationship.

It could happen again.
    Was that relationship another casualty of The Fossil? Just asking since he drove so many others away.

Another great post from the 'Lafayette Memories' facebook site: a very cool pic of McNaspy in 1940.
    On a side note, I really would like to see the reno to cajun field pay homage to McNaspy Fieldyou know, some arches, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images  

There was a scandal associated with the contracts to campuses was not one of the finer points in that familys history

8. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    Another great post from the 'Lafayette Memories' facebook site: a very cool pic of McNaspy in 1940.
    On a side note, I really would like to see the reno to cajun field pay homage to McNaspy Fieldyou know, some arches, etc.
    -------Notice the grade of the stadium pretty uphill--snuck out of study hall to go play a lil music one night--the team, with coaches instructions, was waiting with some guitars that certain teammates played and accompanying voices as I went up and down about 25-50 times!!!!! the worst was the Kingston trio and Peter paul and Mary songs!!!

These old pictures are just friggin awesome. Was Girard Park even there at this time? It looks like the road is there? Also to the East of campus there is nothing. That boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    Boomer, what was the play call here?

I noticed the oak trees lining the campus were only about 30 years old in those pictures. Doesn't look like baseball is being played in the quad anymore. Can't determine where the baseball field was.

12. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    Boomer, what was the play call here?
    ----OUCH---Sweep Right on 2!!!!

13. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    I noticed the oak trees lining the campus were only about 30 years old in those pictures. Doesn't look like baseball is being played in the quad anymore. Can't determine where the baseball field was.
    The baseball field was about where Gerard "PARK" (the garage) is now.

Looks like it and McNaspy were in the early stages of development.

14. Default Re: UL "McIlhenny" Campus circa 1939 - 40

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The baseball field was about where Gerard "PARK" (the garage) is now.

Looks like it and McNaspy were in the early stages of development.

-Now that was one crazy baseball layout as the track caused an indention making CF actual come in a shorter distance---It was also the football practice field in the Fall and the scene of Faulkinberry's "Black Friday" where much of the team left before, during, and even some after the practice!!!!

Following the burning of Brown-Ayres (which used to house the architecture/art departments), the baseball diamond was removed and Fletcher Hall built in it's place.

I guess this is also when the Tigue was 'born?'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information