Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

1. UL Baseball NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Here is a look at the Cajuns' NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume heading into the Sun Belt Conference Tournament ...

Louisiana 38-17 overall, 19-11 conference (3rd place, Sun Belt Conference ... SBC Tournament #3 seed)
    Conference RPI Rank: #5 (comfortable slotted in the #5 position, ahead of the #6 Big West).

RPI Rank: #24
    RPI: .5645
    WP: .6812 (34.4 wins - 16.1 losses)
    OWP: .5316
    OOWP: .5137

RPI Rank (2012 Formula): #25
    RPI (2012 Formula): .5670
    WP (2012 Formula): .6910

Record vs. RPI Top 25: 1-3
    Record vs. RPI Top 50: 5-5
    Record vs. RPI Top 75: 7-6 (considered peers in the NCAA Tournament field)
    Record vs. RPI Top 100: 8-11

Good wins:
    #16 South Alabama (1)
    #31 Troy (2)
    #34 Florida Atlantic (2)

Bad losses:
    #182 Central Michigan (1)
    #153 at Nicholls State (1)
    #152 at Florida International (1) *

* -> Florida International would have had an RPI rank of #116 under the 2012 RPI Formula (36 spots higher)

Looking ahead:
    Florida International will contribute an OWP of .4615 (24-28) to the Cajuns' RPI ... and approximately an OOWP of .5431 (a little higher once the Cajuns add another .6910 after they play).

Brian

Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

should a couple of wins in the tourney get us in? Or u think we are in now, provided there are not to many "upsets" in conference tourneys across the country

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Here is a look at the Cajuns' NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume heading into the Sun Belt Conference Tournament ...

Louisiana 38-17 overall, 19-11 conference (3rd place, Sun Belt Conference ... SBC Tournament #3 seed)
    Conference RPI Rank: #5 (comfortable slotted in the #5 position, ahead of the #6 Big West).

RPI Rank: #24
    RPI: .5645
    WP: .6812 (34.4 wins - 16.1 losses)
    OWP: .5316
    OOWP: .5137

RPI Rank (2012 Formula): #25
    RPI (2012 Formula): .5670
    WP (2012 Formula): .6910

Record vs. RPI Top 25: 1-3
    Record vs. RPI Top 50: 5-5
    Record vs. RPI Top 75: 7-6 (considered peers in the NCAA Tournament field)
    Record vs. RPI Top 100: 8-11

Good wins:
    #16 South Alabama (1)
    #31 Troy (2)
    #34 Florida Atlantic (2)

Bad losses:
    #182 Central Michigan (1)
    #153 at Nicholls State (1)
    #152 at Florida International (1) *

* -> Florida International would have had an RPI rank of #116 under the 2012 RPI Formula (36 spots higher)

Looking ahead:
    Florida International will contribute an OWP of .4615 (24-28) to the Cajuns' RPI ... and approximately an OOWP of .5431 (a little higher once the Cajuns add another .6910 after they play).

Brian

3. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    should a couple of wins in the tourney get us in? Or u think we are in now, provided there are not to many "upsets" in conference tourneys across the country
    I think we are in now ... period. But I would like to see the Cajuns lock down a #2 seed.

Brian

Ragin' Cajuns Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

I think we are in now ... period. But I would like to see the Cajuns lock down a #2 seed.

Brian
    How many wins in the Conference Tournament to do that??

5. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    How many wins in the Conference Tournament to do that??
    There is no set number. It will depend on whom the Cajuns play (and how it affects their RPI) as well as how other bubble #2 seeds perform in the next week.

Unlike some others here, I look forward to having South Alabama on our side of the bracket. It is the best possible RPI game for the Cajuns and gives us another shot at the Jaguars. There is no team I enjoy playing more. I hope we get them twice in our bracket.

Brian

Brian do you know whether our games will be designated "home" for RPI purposes? We discussed this a while back but I haven't seen anything definitive

7. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Brian do you know whether our games will be designated "home" for RPI purposes? We discussed this a while back but I haven't seen anything definitive
    I am fairly certain that they will be considered the home team for RPI purposes. For certain, the first game will be considered a home game as we will be the designated home team in that contest (and bat last). We will know for certain after the Thursday game.

Brian

There is no set number. It will depend on whom the Cajuns play (and how it affects their RPI) as well as how other bubble #2 seeds perform in the next week.

Unlike some others here, I look forward to having South Alabama on our side of the bracket. It is the best possible RPI game for the Cajuns and gives us another shot at the Jaguars. There is no team I enjoy playing more. I hope we get them twice in our bracket.

Brian
    I agree totally with you Brian; we may have an opportunity to play them twice and it seems that our last game against them sent them reeling somewhat; or Troy is playing really well right now. Either way, it is a good opportunity for us to make up for games 1 and 2 of our series against them and pickup some quality RPI points.

We should always welcome a challenge.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

I am fairly certain that they will be considered the home team for RPI purposes. For certain, the first game will be considered a home game as we will be the designated home team in that contest (and bat last). We will know for certain after the Thursday game.

Brian
    I emailed Boyd Nation about it and he wasn't sure either and said he would check with the NCAA. I got another response after though. He checked how the Ivy League championship games affected Columbia. The way it looks, the NCAA counted the games as neutral. Hopefully that's the case for us as it would be a boost

10. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    I emailed Boyd Nation about it and he wasn't sure either and said he would check with the NCAA. I got another response after though. He checked how the Ivy League championship games affected Columbia. The way it looks, the NCAA counted the games as neutral. Hopefully that's the case for us as it would be a boost
    I confirmed with the NCAA (JD Hamilton) that all postseason conference tournament games would be considered "neutral" games for RPI purposes. This is good for the Cajuns!

Brian

Brian, I am well aware that it's a long shot and maybe impossible. But what are your thoughts on us popping back into the hosting discussion if say we mowed down the Sun Belt Tournament without losing a single game? Does that get us any more respect and a possible Host?

UL Baseball Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Where we stand in NCAA baseball stats vs the national leaders.

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    Brian, I am well aware that it's a long shot and maybe impossible. But what are your thoughts on us popping back into the hosting discussion if say we mowed down the Sun Belt Tournament without losing a single game? Does that get us any more respect and a possible Host?
    I do not think it is really possible for several reasons ...

#1 I do not think the Cajuns will have the requisite RPI
    #2 They were not conference champions (and finished 3rd) ... I believe this to be a near requirement for a non-elite conference in the present day of D1 college baseball.
    #3 Their record vs. the RPI Top 25 and Top 50 is subpar relative to hosting peers

I do not think the Cajuns would be #1 seed and host-worthy in any category, much less the number of categories that would be required to seriously be in the discussion for a host regional.

In fact, I think South Alabama has a very slim chance, even if they win the SBC tournament. Not because they would necessarily be lacking the resume (though their record vs. the RPI Top 25 and RPI Top 50 is quite poor) ... but because of the need for sites in other regions. I do not see the NCAA not giving a host site to Indiana. I also think Kansas State is an excellent choice (Big XII champion) and has a better resume than South Alabama. The same goes for UCLA and I think the NCAA would like to have four western regionals. There is a chance that Clemson could fall far enough to lose a host regional (leaving the ACC with 4 instead of 5). But right now, they are in. In my mind, there are only two or three host sites up for grabs ... and they look to be going to Clemson, Kansas State, and UCLA.

I also never bought into Arkansas being a serious contender, despite their conference finish ahead of Mississippi State and series wins over Mississippi State and South Carolina. They refused to play on the road and the NCAA will penalize them for it ... as the RPI did.

We will probably talk about some of this on Scott's show tomorrow or Wednesday.

Brian

14. Default Re: NCAA Baseball Tournament Resume ...

We will probably talk about some of this on Scott's show tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Confirmed ... it looks as if we will talk in the 4pm hour.

Brian

Confirmed ... it looks as if we will talk in the 4pm hour.

Brian
    1420?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information