Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cox Communications Athletic Center

1. Ragin' Cajuns Cox Communications Athletic Center

The UL System Board of Supervisors will vote Friday on . . .

Approval of sponsorship agreement with Cox Communications. The company has entered a 10-year sponsorship agreement of $13,750 per month. In exchange for the sponsorship, the UL athletic administration building would be named the Cox Communications Athletic Center.

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Approval of sponsorship agreement with Cox Communications. The company has entered a 10-year sponsorship agreement of $13,750 per month. In exchange for the sponsorship, the UL athletic administration building would be named the Cox Communications Athletic Center.
    I am a bit confused. Why would anyone pay $1,650,000 to put their name on only the athletic building? Could this be a misprint?

ps: I hope not.

3. Default Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKahouna
    _ I am a bit confused. Why would anyone pay $1,650,000 to put their name on only the athletic building? Could this be a misprint?

ps: I hope not. _
    It is odd that it is a 10-year sponsorship agreement. The details of the agreement are unkown. What happens if Cox refuses to continue its sponsorship at the end of the 10-year period?

No need to speculate. The scenarios are almost indefinite.

Default Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

I thought the other points were worth posting.

Approval of the four-year, $95,000 annual salary contract for Errol K. Rogers, who was named as UL's new head women's basketball coach in May. Rogers formerly was an assistant coach at Mississippi State University.

A resolution that would approve a lease and lease-back agreement of university property with Ragin' Cajun Facilities, the nonprofit that was formed to expedite the initial construction of Legacy Park a few years ago. The approval is needed for the corporation to continue the planned expansion of the on-campus apartment complex.

SO we have sold our souls to the highest bidder. Cox Communications, who is about to lose a ton of business when LUS comes online is desperate for upgrading their image. For years before, LUS made it's announcement of fiber optics, they had crappy service , PR, Try reaching them on weekend when your cable went out, high rates-still, and sorry channel selections. Now they have spent millions, on advertising their image to make themselves look like the "GIVING BACK COMPANY". I am not a fan of Cox cable, however, in saying this, I will commend their internet service and quality.
    I do know we aren't the only University with Cox Commuinications on a building in the state. So be it, if that's how we are going to run our athletic budget, then so be it. Next we will be changing Reinhardt Drive to Some commerical name and let Dutch's legacy die. Are we to changed Tigue Moore Field next or Lamson Park.
    I know we need the money but to have an athletic complex be called Cox Commuinication Athletic Complex, shouldn't that be on a building on campus.
    There, I have voiced my opinion, I feel better.

Geaux Cajuns.

I'm not a big fan of this either, but with the State of Louisiana Board of Regents' Finance Committee's denial.I sure don't want advertisers names all over the campus.

7. Default Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim
    .Try reaching them on weekend when your cable went out, high rates-still, and sorry channel selections. Now they have spent millions, on advertising their image to make themselves look like the "GIVING BACK COMPANY". I am not a fan of Cox cable.
    Jim, you coulda fooled me about not being a fan of Cox. Shouldn't you, a die hard Ragin Cajun,be accustomed to abuse, being that you work in Refineryville!

Boy, talk about hard to please. We sit around and complain that we are cash strapped can't get anyone to donate and when we finally get a huge donation we complain about who gives it and them naming a building. Let's don't raise any money close down the place and go home.

The donations are great, I just hate to see company logo's from multiple company's all over the athletic complex. I was glad to see the UL emblem enlarged on the swamp gates as opposed to the way they were (very small and dwarfed by the different company logo's). In UL's situation, at this point anyway, the naming right option is the only option. Is there anyone out there that is o.k. with the way things are? It could be better.

UL Baseball Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

I don't like how Tigue Moore Park is now LADY LOURDES on the outside.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    _ The donations are great, I just hate to see company logo's from multiple company's all over the athletic complex. I was glad to see the UL emblem enlarged on the swamp gates as opposed to the way they were (very small and dwarfed by the different company logo's). In UL's situation, at this point anyway, the naming right option is the only option. Is there anyone out there that is o.k. with the way things are? It could be better. _
    I am OK with the sponsors. I would be more OK if we did not need the money, but we do so I don't lose any sleep or enjoyment over this.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    _ Boy, talk about hard to please. We sit around and complain that we are cash strapped can't get anyone to donate and when we finally get a huge donation we complain about who gives it and them naming a building. Let's don't raise any money close down the place and go home. _
    I guess you would sell yourself to the devil for money! Answer me this question, Why has it taken Cox this long to step, Heck, Channel 37 . Cox Sports television is the LSU Sports Channel, or haven't you noticed.
    Why do we have to rename our athletic complex in order to get a large donation from them. OH, TAX Write OFF and good PR. Come, let's not forget how we get screwed on CST and channels and rates.
    COME ON NOW>
    Geaux Cajuns

UL Baseball Re: Cox Communications Athletic Center

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    _ I don't like how Tigue Moore Park is now LADY LOURDES on the outside. _
    That's only for one area, the cooking area. I don't see Lourdes in large lettering and to me it is in good taste on how they did it. My opinion.
    Geaux Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim
    _ I guess you would sell yourself to the devil for money! Answer me this question, Why has it taken Cox this long to step, Heck, Channel 37 . Cox Sports television is the LSU Sports Channel, or haven't you noticed.
    Why do we have to rename our athletic complex in order to get a large donation from them. OH, TAX Write OFF and good PR. Come, let's not forget how we get screwed on CST and channels and rates.
    COME ON NOW>
    Geaux Cajuns _
    Do you think part of the negotiations might include MORE Cajun games on CST? That Cox now having their name on our complex might mean more exposure for the Cajuns? They are also sponsoring Rajin Cajuns. com. They have bought into the program and don't you think they might want to show it off. I think that besides the income that it brings in the sponsorships shows the local community that support is building for the program. That the program is growing and gaining respect and is important to companies that do business in the area. It is a snowball effect that can really help grow the program. Between the Cox deal and the Moncla deal to name the Indoor Facility it means an over $300,000 a year. Ask La Tech if they would turn down the money.

Its a very good business move for cox and UL. Cox gets PR, UL gets money, and both can work on partnerships in telecommunications and data processing through UL's nationally renowned computer science department.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information