Thread: 20 years before a BULLdog mascot 60+ years before Ragin' Cajuns. UL was the ATTAKAPAS

1. Research 20 years before a BULLdog mascot 60+ years before Ragin' Cajuns. UL was the ATTAKAPAS

No Attakapas wasn't associated with sports directly (They did write about UL sports) sports teams didn't have a nickname monicker til 1922. Up to that time the mascots were often rotatiing kids of faculty members.

However, one of the SLII literary societies took it upon themselves to be called the Attakapas. The weekly column in the paper was called the Attakapasian, and was printed for less than a year starting in February of 1903 until The Vermilion came on line in December of 1903. Columns then continued for a while (I think a few years) in the Vemilion.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: 20 years before a BULLdog mascot 60+ years before Ragin' Cajuns. UL was the ATTAK

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    OK it is a streatch but bear with me. . . .

No Attakapas wasn't associated with sports, (They did write about UL sports) sports teams didn't have a nickname monicker til 1922. Up to that time the mascots were often rotatiing kids of faculty members.

However, one of the SLII literary societies took it upon themselves to be called the Attakapas. The weekly column in the paper was called the Attakapasian, and was printed for less than a year starting in February of 1903 until The Vermilion came on line in December of 1903. Columns then continued for a while (I think a few years) in the Vemilion.
    Interesting find Turbine. Thank goodness we never went with that as our sports name or we would be in the same boat as ULM. Although I believe that tribe is no more. The name in Choctaw means cannibals.

Thread Information